Getting bored at the gym.. need suggestions

Options
Hey all,

Just curious as to how you keep yourself from getting bored at the gym. I'm just getting tired of the same routines, even though I'm changing things up. Suggestions? I'm thinking of implementing some circuit training at the gym. I've done the "Shred" and liked Jillian's approach to fast moving workouts combining cardio. Does anyone have circuit routines you like or find effective?

As far as cardio, I was strictly an elliptical user. I've started running on the treadmill, doing some bicylcing, attempting to conquer the dreaded stair master, just basically trying to switch my cardio up. I'm not really dropping the weight/inches like I should be.

Free weights- Some days I do legs, another arms, and some days I do a full body workout. I'd really like to factor in a circuit routine with both cardio and free weights.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I find it rather hard to be bored when I am lifting amounts that make me feel like I could die at any moment. If you're bored when lifting weights, you could increase the weight, or cut your rests between sets to under a minute, or both.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Get out of a routine. Vary what you do daily. yes the same routine is boring. But also, you get less benefit form routines your body adapts to.

Research different workouts, be creative, vary it all the time.

One idea - check out the Sparticus Workout - you'll be too tired to be bored.
  • leaderzzz
    leaderzzz Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Why don't you take a friend? I go with a friend/ training partner... we make lots of fun at each other whilst there :noway: ...
    Or perhaps try another gym for a while, new surroundings etc...
  • nicolelynn1227
    nicolelynn1227 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks, just started researching it. That could be exactly what I need, something to push me a little more.
  • nicolelynn1227
    Options
    Why don't you take a friend? I go with a friend/ training partner... we make lots of fun at each other whilst there :noway: ...

Honestly, I'm the only one of my local group of friends that workout. The ones that do want to go are slightly more interested in chitchatting on the treadmill than getting their butts kicked. Possibly could workout with my brother, that might be more helpful.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Honestly, I'm the only one of my local group of friends that workout. The ones that do want to go are slightly more interested in chitchatting on the treadmill than getting their butts kicked. Possibly could workout with my brother, that might be more helpful.

Definitely. Don't assume that just because he's male it wouldn't be a good idea. Hell, my wife and I always lift together, and I think I get half of my workout from changing the plates on the bar back and forth between sets. ^_^
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I read this girl's blog about doing the New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women plan and it convinced me to get the book. I just started reading it but so far so good. It's a lifting plan that you do 3X a week for about 30 min and it's divided into 8 stages. You could do your cardio before/after or on off days.

The blog:
    http://mealsandmiles.com/2011/05/27/the-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-plan/
  • martinh78
    Options
    Set yourself a triathalon challenge. Go on a Sunday morning or whenever it is quiet and do a run (5k), cycle (10k) and row (3k). Do this every couple of weeks and try to reduce your time. Gives you something to work towards and you can do each one individually during the week (so try and improve your rowing one day, running the next, cycling the next).

Mix in intervals to each "training session" and soon you have a full-on triathalon training plan.

Damn, sounds so good I want to do it again!
  • nicolelynn1227
    Options
    I read this girl's blog about doing the New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women plan and it convinced me to get the book. I just started reading it but so far so good. It's a lifting plan that you do 3X a week for about 30 min and it's divided into 8 stages. You could do your cardio before/after or on off days.

The blog:

I read a post on here about that book recently. I guess I should just break down and buy the book. I like lifting, so it would be good to have some new moves and a new workout.
  • nezsorou
    Options
    I am a lover of music, so as long as I have fun music blasting in my ears ... I don't seem to get bored! That is the only way I can refrain from boredom. If I didn't have music in my ears, my attention span would go floating away, and my brain would demand I do something else. lol.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options

The blog:

I read a post on here about that book recently. I guess I should just break down and buy the book. I like lifting, so it would be good to have some new moves and a new workout.

I got the one for men, and highly recommend it.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I was bored and decided to take classes. Whew; whole new ballgame.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Have you considered taking classes at your gym? I've done spin classes, pilates, turbokick, strength training and ab classes. Depending on your instructor they can be fun and a great workout. Or joining a different type of gym if possible? Like a yoga studio, pure barre, crossfit, boot camp, etc. A lot of those types of places typically have punch passes where you can pay for a pass and go 5,10,15 times. It's a good way to mix things up a bit. Also, I like to use DVDs on days I don't feel like running or going to a class. Jillian Michaels has some great ones (banish fat boost metabolism, no more trouble zones, body revolution, extreme shed and shred to name a few). This youtube channel has some great workouts that require no equipment are typically 20 minutes or less and will have your chest burning and your body feeling like jello lol.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZuzkaLight

Hopefully one of these suggestions will help :)
  • NoExcusesAllProgress
    Options
    I was getting a little bored myself and took up the Spartacus Circuit. Its on Men's Health's website, but I don't see why it would hurt to try as a woman.
  • samanthawarren
    Options
    I know that two years ago when I was trying to lose weight, I was at a gym that didn't have classes. I got bored after 2 months doing the same machines, free weights and cardio every few days. This time around I joined a gym that has classes, a track and daycare. It has been 4 months and there are no signs of boredom. I go mainly for the weights and do cardio at home, but every once in a while I take a class to keep things fresh.

My husband never gets bored of weights, his gym has no classes and is open 24hrs a day and that is just how he likes it.

I hope you find something to keep things fresh. Looks like you got some good suggestions here.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I find it rather hard to be bored when I am lifting amounts that make me feel like I could die at any moment. If you're bored when lifting weights, you could increase the weight, or cut your rests between sets to under a minute, or both.

This. Most people that are getting bored aren't improving their lifts. If you're using the same 12 lb dumbbell for a year and not seeing changes in your body, you're going to get bored. Once you start hitting new maxes and seeing changes, you become addicted, not bored.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Get out of a routine. Vary what you do daily. yes the same routine is boring. But also, you get less benefit form routines your body adapts to.

Research different workouts, be creative, vary it all the time.

One idea - check out the Sparticus Workout - you'll be too tired to be bored.

I was going to suggest spartacus. it is NOT boring. it's tough. when you want to change it up, increase your weight, do extra rounds! I've been doing it since january and have seen fantastic results..... I do that twice a week right now..... I try to do pitaiyo once a week, and I run 2-3 times a week and cycle 1-2times a week.
  • mikegl1
    mikegl1 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    !00% a work out buddy and try everything . When you find something you like you will enjoy going. Also for me is watching people. I was brought up by a wonderful mother who enjoyed people watching and passed this on to me. I am in a happy good relationship so I watch for enjoyment not looking to hit on or be hit on - people are fun to watch; passed the time on the elliptical.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Watch tv? Does your gym have tvs?

If so get a raido. I don't get bored because of that.

I seen people with MP3 players listing, tablets, and what ever else...
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I'd vote for Spartacus too if you like Shred. There's a couple of different versions of it out there so you can pick the one appropriate for you. I'm doing one and it's kicking my *kitten*... My abs are starting to look awesome :smile: