Depression???

Options
I've been doing pretty good about keeping how much I eat under control...
I've realized something.
Without food to comfort me I feel depressed.
I don't know if it's "withdrawals" from food, or if I was already depressed and fixing it with food.
Has anyone else experienced this?
If so, what did you do?
I'm not interested in taking meds.

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Exercise. =) It takes a while, but I've found that I'm able to replace the feeling that food gave me with a workout instead. It might take a while to get into the swing of things and it can be a little frustrating at first, but it's worth a shot!
  • cocoamomma
    cocoamomma Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A friend once said to me that whenever she tried to eat healthy she felt depressed. She mentioned this to her husband who said, "Well honey, you have been used to centering your life around food."

Friends get together around food. We kick back and have movie night with our favorite foods.

I think it is any other life change. It was pleasurable and we miss it.

Exercise has been proven to boost mood. If you are not already doing so adding a fun exercise might help. And having a work out partner with a like mindset would help too.

Good luck with your journey!!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I know I am a lot more depressed when I am fat. There are so many things in life you cant do anything about but I can control my eating. The other stuff in my life I have no control over and this is depressing but if I can keep this weight off I feel better.
  • butterflymarks
    butterflymarks Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yoga really helps. It might not be a good idea to move from one "addiction" of food to exercise. Trust me, I've recovered from an ED and it's a slippery slope.
    Yoga is a great exercise, whether you do the intense Jillian Michael's videos or at your local gym. It calms your mind, helps you connect with yourself, and really helps with any other physical activity you're doing.
    A lot of people who don't want medications are actually told to try yoga by a psychiatrist who have depression, anxiety, and other disorders.
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    It's not so much of an oh I'm a little depressed.
    It's more like I feel like crying... or maybe screaming, because everything that has happened so far in my life (with the exception of my children)
    is depressing.
    I thought I had dealt with all of the problems I have from abuse while growing up,
    but I think maybe I was fooling myself.
    I've gotten past the need for food finally. In it's place I feel what I
    can only describe as a hopeless feeling.
    I realize that's what I kept myself from feeling as a child.
    I will try the yoga.
    I think I will also check to see if my insurance covers seeing a therapist.

*I have been exercising. I try to use my bike 20min everyday,and I do other exercises 1-3x per week.
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Like the others are saying, exercise exercise exercise! I've dealt with depression for most of my life. 2 years ago I even began taking Prozac because counseling just wasn't enough, and temazepam for insomnia. It did help me stabilize, however I gained 30lbs. after starting. Now I've lost 20 of those 30lbs. and I am OFF of the medications. Exercise is better than any counseling appointment and any antidepressant, and my insomnia is better (still there, but more manageable with as needed sleep aids).

However, I always strongly recommend counseling for depression if it's becoming a chronic problem. Even though I don't feel depressed anymore, I still go to my appointments regularly.
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    Like the others are saying, exercise exercise exercise! I've dealt with depression for most of my life. 2 years ago I even began taking Prozac because counseling just wasn't enough, and temazepam for insomnia. It did help me stabilize, however I gained 30lbs. after starting. Now I've lost 20 of those 30lbs. and I am OFF of the medications. Exercise is better than any counseling appointment and any antidepressant, and my insomnia is better (still there, but more manageable with as needed sleep aids).

However, I always strongly recommend counseling for depression if it's becoming a chronic problem. Even though I don't feel depressed anymore, I still go to my appointments regularly.

I had tried 5 different anti anxiety and depression meds between 18-20years old.
    Each of them made me feel more depressed, or act like I was crazy while I was on them.
    I've been on Wellbutrin, Paxil, Effexor, Prozac, and Ritalin.
    The last one was Albuteral for "a form of narcolepsy".
    I finally put my foot down and said no more meds.
    My problem is not a chemical imbalance...
    I am going to look into counseling.
  • wolfelements
    wolfelements Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It's actually as simple as finding an activity. When depressed (which is nearly daily) I write, just little stories and stuff. That way I do something that has a result, just like eating makes you feel full.

I understand your issue. Mine's boredom, aside from clean the house I don't have much to do so I'd eat. Now I log onto forums and talk there instead of eating.
  • jhogley
    jhogley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would strongly recommend talking to a doctor, therapist, whoever you can, and let them know that you think you might be suffering from depression. What you describe really sounds like true, clinical depression, and you should never take that lightly. A lot of cases of depression are never properly diagnosed, and it can cause serious health problems and even death.

Unfortunately it is a really hard thing to treat, and it might be worth trying to see a few different doctors or counselors. Diet and exercise sometimes helps, medicine sometimes helps, but unfortunately sometimes it just takes time. My depression just eventually went away on its own, and it was like a dark cloud had just been lifted out of my head - the sun seemed brighter, the world seemed interesting again.

Try and remember that it's not normal, this is a kind of illness that prevents your mind from feeling the way it should. It's not really because of anything that happened to you in the past - but you'll try to rationalize the way you feel by blaming it on things that happened to you years ago. Believe that someday you will get better, and that the cloud will lift. If you ever start to think that you just can't bear to go through another day, please tell people and ask for help!

Depression is a horrible, horrible thing to experience, and I really hope that you come through it soon.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    A problem that so many people get is that once they are brave enough to set some goals, to get healthy & fit, to lose a lot of weight or to start up a new regime is to help him/her achieve their weight loss goal, a feeling of anxiety can set in right after.
    Anxiety from the pressure to get going, it all seems so very important, and very overwhelming, doubts start to creep in – “Can I really do this?” ”I don’t think I can?” ”Who was I kidding?”

The pressure to get going, to get through one week of whatever plan you may be on, it is too much, it takes the fun out of the initial high that was got when the goal was first set, and the dream of getting to a healthy weight seemed so easy. You then start to feeling depressed and you just want food as your way of comfort. You get feelings from the past coming back to haunt you, maybe someone has called you a failure at whatever you have set out to do and you begin to think to yourself, ‘Maybe they were right?!’

Wrong!

You are not a failure you need to get out of this frame of mind and leave the past in the past. This is your future and only YOU can move forward from this and not anyone else. There will be lots of ‘ifs and but’s’ but do you want to ruin your future by bringing your past in to haunt you with the rest of your life? When you hold this kind of resentment you are bound by an emotional link that is stronger than steel and forgiveness my dear is the only way to dissolve that link and be completely FREE.

Don’t start today with the broken pieces of yesterday.

It is IMPORTANT for you to remember that this anxiety – that pressure – that doubt – is NOT NECESSARY. We can let it go and leave it where it should be in the past, kick back and start living.

How you may ask?? Well it’s pretty simple actually!

All you need to do is affirm over and over again as much as you need to do, an affirmation that will lift this anxiety and make you feel at ease and relaxed.
    Here is an example of what you can say…
    But remember you can change this to suit yourself.
    “I am now creating the life, health and body of my dreams, in an easy and relaxed manner, in a healthy and positive way, in it’s own perfect time. What doesn’t kill me will make me stronger”

Repeat this every day, every morning, every night, when you are at the gym, anytime you feel anxiety set in, write it out and read it over and over again. Write your own affirmation, something that means something to you.
    Key points to add to your affirmation.

• Use the words to frame that you are in the process of creating a healthy body
    • Use words that mean you are enjoying the process and you feel calm and relaxed about it
    • Use the word healthy in your affirmation
    • Be happy with the time it take – as long as you are moving closer
    • Remember the words of Einstein: I am thankful to all those you said ‘No’ to me because of them of them I did it myself.

I am also one of those people who also suffers from anxiety and depression but I have learnt to live with it in a much calmer environment, sometimes I feel overwhelmed, but using this technique I can get myself back to a place of calm and feeling centred and focused on my goal. I have been abused in my childhood, cheated etc and every scar tells a story but I have learnt that every time I have went through a struggle it has developed my strengths and when you go through hardships you will also learn not to surrender and believe me that takes a hell of allot of strength! You are well on your way then. I am not saying its easy it has taken me years to come as strong as I am now emotionally and physically and you can do it too. Small easy steps is all that it can take.

Keep a weightloss blog as well, just writing down your thoughts on a daily basis for a stranger to read can actually be very helpful, remember they won’t know or judge you, they are behind a computer screen.

Being on a weight loss journey you are going to experience many highs and lows and you are going to be battling many a demon as you go along, it is important to take action when you go through a low time, learning how to change your thinking and focus will help you to get back on track sooner and having less feelings of sabotage. Remember every morning that you wake up is another chance to get it right, there are two words that you should never say though which is ‘I can’t’ because YOU CAN and YOU WILL!! Every day is an opportunity to create a brand new you! Good luck hun
  • aoifemaclav
    aoifemaclav Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Many years ago I suffer from depression which lasted the gutts of 5 years. I had to try a few of different types of meds before I found the right one. With that, and exercise I've been depression and meds free now for about 10 yrs.
    ( apart from food). I found out that I love being outdoors so joined kayaking and hillwalking clubs.

I know it's hard to think what makes you happy or enjoy when you are down. but keep trying and it will come to you, it could be art, watching movies or crafts and just make sure you do a little of what you enjoy and the rest will come.

Best of luck, if I can get through it then anyone can.
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    Thank you everyone.
    I appreciate all the advice.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has already mentioned most of the best self-remedies for depression. But if you are interested, there is a book called "The Instinct to Heal -- Curing Depression, Anxiety and Stess WITHOUT Drugs and WITHOUT Talk Therapy", written by David Servan-Schreiber. Some of the things he suggests are even free. Others, such an EMDR, you can learn about from other books, instead of an EMDR trained therapist. It might even be available at the library.
  • butterflymarks
    butterflymarks Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    There's also a website called recoveryourlife.com and it's a forum type website where you can get advice and such. If you're into that.