People sure love to give advice.

Options
2»

Replies

• moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Coca-Cola%2BZero%2B-%2BPepsi%2B1%2B-%2BWell%2BPlayed%2BPepsi%252C%2BWell%2BPlayed.jpg
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    i completely agree i had a stranger who was (for lack of a better term) fat and she had the nerve to tell me that it wasnt healthy to drink sparkling ice and eat a bunch of almonds because aspartame is bad for you and almonds are full of fat i buster out laughing couldnt hold it in lol

The almond comment gets thrown around on here a lot as well sometimes :-)

People who bash almonds can suck it. I eat them (or walnuts) everyday. And I drink unsightly amounts of almond milk. Doesn't look like I'm going too bad for myself according to that ticker down below.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    i completely agree i had a stranger who was (for lack of a better term) fat and she had the nerve to tell me that it wasnt healthy to drink sparkling ice and eat a bunch of almonds because aspartame is bad for you and almonds are full of fat i buster out laughing couldnt hold it in lol

Oh good grief.
    If God made it, how bad can it be?
    Now you may be legit on your soapbox with transfats and processed foods.
    Just sayin'

I fan of Almonds, but there are a lot of people on these forums, usually a woman (no offense) that say they are way too high calorie and there is much better foods, they are too high fat and etc...
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean....I was in the grocery store one time buying Yoplait Light yogurt. This woman next to me with a toddler, buying all sorts of organic this and organic that, looks at me and says, "You know that has aspartame in it?" As if I'm suddenly going to say "Oh my god...not aspartame! Thanks so much!"
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Why do you drink it?

Or a better question is, do you see food as fuel for the body, or something that one should eat based on taste, availability, and desire?

I say this to myself for some food
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

Oh good grief.
    Just sayin'

I fan of Almonds, but there are a lot of people on these forums, usually a woman (no offense) that say they are way too high calorie and there is much better foods, they are too high fat and etc...

Yeah, I know people will always argue one way or another.
    My thought is: God created our bodies with the need for certain nutrients and then he provided those nutrients.
    How convenient.
    My personal faves are peanuts.
    All in moderation...
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean....I was in the grocery store one time buying Yoplait Light yogurt. This woman next to me with a toddler, buying all sorts of organic this and organic that, looks at me and says, "You know that has aspartame in it?" As if I'm suddenly going to say "Oh my god...not aspartame! Thanks so much!"

:bigsmile:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Oh good grief.
    Just sayin'

Castor Bean- Castor oil – for anyone unlucky enough to have been force spoon-fed this healthy yet disgusting fluid as a child, you may be surprised to learn that an ingredient in the castor bean just happens to be the deadliest plant poison on earth. Literally. Just one tiny castor bean is enough to kill an adult within a few minutes. Castor oil is made safe (but not palatable) with the removable of the lethal compound known as ricin. Amazingly, castor bean plants are grown for decorative purpose all over the place, particularly in California.

Rosary Pea- As if a deadly legume weren’t bad enough, the pulses aren’t so benign, either. The rosary pea may sound sweet and downright pious, but it’s actually one of the most dangerous plants on earth. Its seeds contain a particular lectin known as abrin; if chewed and swallowed, death will follow shortly. The seeds are easily identified with their distinctive bright red jacket and single black dot (almost like a reverse Black Widow spider). Abrin, which does its damage by inactivating ribosomes, is one of the most fatal toxins on earth. After the vomiting, fever, nausea, drooling and G.I. dysfunction but before the bizarre hyperexcitability, edema and fatally convulsive seizures, renal tubular degeneration, bladder and retinal hemorrhage and widespread internal lesions typically develop.

Monkshood- Another unassuming plant – until you learn that the nickname for monkshood is actually “wolfsbane”. That’s owing to its once common use by farmers as a very effective wolf extermination tool. (Not to be left out, fowl are also fatally affected by the related hensbane.) The monkshood has the distinction of evidently being the bane of many creatures: its nicknames include womensbane and leopard’s bane, though it is also known as blue rocket and devil’s helmet. It is technically part of the aconitum genus, of which there are more than 250 species. The wolfsbane used to be a popular werewolf detection tool, by the way. (Status was determined by holding the flower near the alleged’s chin; a yellow-tinged shadow on the skin was thought to be confirmation.)

Bushman's Poison- The aptly-named Bushman’s poison has famously been used by the Khoisan of South Africa to poison the tips of their arrows. Though the plant produces pleasantly scented flowers and a tasty plum-like berry, the milky sap can be fatal. The leaves, however, have medicinal properties. Bushman’s poison is also known as the

Angel's Trumpet- What could be sweeter than the sound of an angel’s trumpet? Perhaps the moaning agony of a trip that won’t end. Related to petunias, tomatoes and potatoes, the angel’s trumpet (datura stramonium) is a highly effective hallucinogen, but should not be consumed for recreational purposes as it can also be lethal. According to wikipedia: “The active ingredients are atropine, hyoscyamine and scopolamine which are classified as deliriants, or anticholinergics. Due to the elevated risk of overdose in uninformed users, many hospitalizations, and some deaths, are reported from recreational use.” This common plant also goes by many other names, including jimson weed, stink weed, loco weed, and devil’s snare. One 18-year-old who was house-sitting alone for his uncle recounts how he decided to prepare some angel’s trumpet tea in curiosity and almost died (a friend burst in on him convulsing on the bathroom floor and the authorities assumed he was on an acid trip).

Water Hemlock - The poison hemlock famously drunk by Socrates is deadly, but the water hemlock is just as fatal. According to the USDA, water hemlock or poison parsnip is “the most violently toxic plant in North America”. The flowers and stems are safe, but the stalky roots contain chambers that are full of a deadly sap containing the convulsant cicutoxin. Grand mal seizures are followed by a quick death if even a tiny amount is consumed.

English Yew- The English Yew, or taxus baccata (“taxus” meaning toxin), is one of the deadliest trees on the planet. The evergreen has a majestic and lush appearance and is fairly common in forests of Europe. The yew is considered by scientists to be an odd and primitive conifer along with the monkey puzzle tree of Chile and Gingko biloba tree of Asia. The yew has a rather sad history. All parts – save for the flesh of the berries – are extremely poisonous. Because the toxin causes convulsions and paralysis, it was once used as an abortifacient. Apothecaries would dry and powder the leaves and stems and give desperate women minute amounts in the days before birth control was available. Unfortunately, death would often result. The yew has been quite popular throughout history for a number of medicinal purposes at extremely dilute levels, but it is deemed too dangerous in modern medical practice to be of use. The yew’s primary toxin is taxine, a cardiac depressant. The yew acts rapidly and there is no antidote.

Oleander- The oleander is the most deadly plant in the world. It is also tremendously popular as a decorative shrub. Just one leaf can kill an adult, and fatal poisonings have resulted from minimal exposure to the twigs, blooms and berries. The plant contains numerous toxins, including nerioside, oleandroside, saponins, and cardiac glycosides. Though native to parts of the Mediterranean and Asia, it is now widely cultivated throughout the world. Fatalities among horses and other livestock are common. Once ingested, oleander goes to work simultaneously on the nervous system, the cardiovascular system, and the digestive tract

Nightshade - Also known as the devil’s cherry, black cherry, great morel and belladonna, the nightshade is toxic from tip to top. Containing atropine, a deadly alkaloid, those who ingest even a small amount of the plant will soon notice they have lost their voice. Respiratory trouble and convulsions follow. The plant is problematic because its cherries are so sweet and children are frequently attracted to the wild fruit. Strangely, horses, birds, sheep, goats and pigs seem to be immune to the effects of nightshade. Nightshade poisoning is treatable with an emetic if treatment is sought swiftly. Plutarch spoke of armies being wiped out by nightshade, and legend has it that Macbeth’s soldiers poisoned the invading Danes with wine made from the sweet fruit.

There's a few more- excerpts taken from http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2008/09/16/16-most-unassuming-yet-lethal-killer-plants/
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer from a serious Mountain Dew habit...and it always amazed me when I cracked open my Dew each night at work how many people would say to me "that is so unhealthy for you" or "mountain dew is the unhealthiest of sodas" or "if you quit drinking soda you would lose weight". My thought was "well no *kitten* Sherlock...I'm not drinking it because it's healthy for me...I'm not that daft. I'm drinking it because I'm hyperglycemic and I need a caffeine boost.". People love the sound of their own voices giving out advice.

One day my coworker cracked open some Mountain Dew. I convinced him if he drank it it would lower his sperm count, which freaked him out. At the end, when he was TOTALLY convinced I sent him to google... which, you know, debunks that whole Mountain Dew makes your boys small myth...

He chose to believe me over google.

I laughed and laughed...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Oh good grief.
    Just sayin'

Castor Bean- Castor oil – for anyone unlucky enough to have been force spoon-fed this healthy yet disgusting fluid as a child, you may be surprised to learn that an ingredient in the castor bean just happens to be the deadliest plant poison on earth. Literally. Just one tiny castor bean is enough to kill an adult within a few minutes. Castor oil is made safe (but not palatable) with the removable of the lethal compound known as ricin. Amazingly, castor bean plants are grown for decorative purpose all over the place, particularly in California.

Rosary Pea- As if a deadly legume weren’t bad enough, the pulses aren’t so benign, either. The rosary pea may sound sweet and downright pious, but it’s actually one of the most dangerous plants on earth. Its seeds contain a particular lectin known as abrin; if chewed and swallowed, death will follow shortly. The seeds are easily identified with their distinctive bright red jacket and single black dot (almost like a reverse Black Widow spider). Abrin, which does its damage by inactivating ribosomes, is one of the most fatal toxins on earth. After the vomiting, fever, nausea, drooling and G.I. dysfunction but before the bizarre hyperexcitability, edema and fatally convulsive seizures, renal tubular degeneration, bladder and retinal hemorrhage and widespread internal lesions typically develop.

Monkshood- Another unassuming plant – until you learn that the nickname for monkshood is actually “wolfsbane”. That’s owing to its once common use by farmers as a very effective wolf extermination tool. (Not to be left out, fowl are also fatally affected by the related hensbane.) The monkshood has the distinction of evidently being the bane of many creatures: its nicknames include womensbane and leopard’s bane, though it is also known as blue rocket and devil’s helmet. It is technically part of the aconitum genus, of which there are more than 250 species. The wolfsbane used to be a popular werewolf detection tool, by the way. (Status was determined by holding the flower near the alleged’s chin; a yellow-tinged shadow on the skin was thought to be confirmation.)

Bushman's Poison- The aptly-named Bushman’s poison has famously been used by the Khoisan of South Africa to poison the tips of their arrows. Though the plant produces pleasantly scented flowers and a tasty plum-like berry, the milky sap can be fatal. The leaves, however, have medicinal properties. Bushman’s poison is also known as the

Angel's Trumpet- What could be sweeter than the sound of an angel’s trumpet? Perhaps the moaning agony of a trip that won’t end. Related to petunias, tomatoes and potatoes, the angel’s trumpet (datura stramonium) is a highly effective hallucinogen, but should not be consumed for recreational purposes as it can also be lethal. According to wikipedia: “The active ingredients are atropine, hyoscyamine and scopolamine which are classified as deliriants, or anticholinergics. Due to the elevated risk of overdose in uninformed users, many hospitalizations, and some deaths, are reported from recreational use.” This common plant also goes by many other names, including jimson weed, stink weed, loco weed, and devil’s snare. One 18-year-old who was house-sitting alone for his uncle recounts how he decided to prepare some angel’s trumpet tea in curiosity and almost died (a friend burst in on him convulsing on the bathroom floor and the authorities assumed he was on an acid trip).

Water Hemlock - The poison hemlock famously drunk by Socrates is deadly, but the water hemlock is just as fatal. According to the USDA, water hemlock or poison parsnip is “the most violently toxic plant in North America”. The flowers and stems are safe, but the stalky roots contain chambers that are full of a deadly sap containing the convulsant cicutoxin. Grand mal seizures are followed by a quick death if even a tiny amount is consumed.

English Yew- The English Yew, or taxus baccata (“taxus” meaning toxin), is one of the deadliest trees on the planet. The evergreen has a majestic and lush appearance and is fairly common in forests of Europe. The yew is considered by scientists to be an odd and primitive conifer along with the monkey puzzle tree of Chile and Gingko biloba tree of Asia. The yew has a rather sad history. All parts – save for the flesh of the berries – are extremely poisonous. Because the toxin causes convulsions and paralysis, it was once used as an abortifacient. Apothecaries would dry and powder the leaves and stems and give desperate women minute amounts in the days before birth control was available. Unfortunately, death would often result. The yew has been quite popular throughout history for a number of medicinal purposes at extremely dilute levels, but it is deemed too dangerous in modern medical practice to be of use. The yew’s primary toxin is taxine, a cardiac depressant. The yew acts rapidly and there is no antidote.

Oleander- The oleander is the most deadly plant in the world. It is also tremendously popular as a decorative shrub. Just one leaf can kill an adult, and fatal poisonings have resulted from minimal exposure to the twigs, blooms and berries. The plant contains numerous toxins, including nerioside, oleandroside, saponins, and cardiac glycosides. Though native to parts of the Mediterranean and Asia, it is now widely cultivated throughout the world. Fatalities among horses and other livestock are common. Once ingested, oleander goes to work simultaneously on the nervous system, the cardiovascular system, and the digestive tract

Nightshade - Also known as the devil’s cherry, black cherry, great morel and belladonna, the nightshade is toxic from tip to top. Containing atropine, a deadly alkaloid, those who ingest even a small amount of the plant will soon notice they have lost their voice. Respiratory trouble and convulsions follow. The plant is problematic because its cherries are so sweet and children are frequently attracted to the wild fruit. Strangely, horses, birds, sheep, goats and pigs seem to be immune to the effects of nightshade. Nightshade poisoning is treatable with an emetic if treatment is sought swiftly. Plutarch spoke of armies being wiped out by nightshade, and legend has it that Macbeth’s soldiers poisoned the invading Danes with wine made from the sweet fruit.

There's a few more- excerpts taken from http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2008/09/16/16-most-unassuming-yet-lethal-killer-plants/

And I've seen people poisoned by oleander honey.

But ...... 1 Thessalonians 5:21
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    THExNEKOxCHAN Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    People love offering advice... and most of it is bull****.

This is why my bull**** meter is often off the charts.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    EVERYONE is a hypocrite at some level. We take advice and give advice, even contrary to our own personal habits, experiences, and tendencies. Cool you just took the high road.

And I LOVE soda, but I don't drink it cuz the aspertime or sugar is bad for you.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    People love offering advice... and most of it is bull****.

This is why my bull**** meter is often off the charts.

:-( image wouldn't link lol.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I of course play stupid and tell her how impressed I am after taking a swig of my poison.
    LMFAO
  • dr3w_s
    dr3w_s Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My boss noticed that I've been working out and he asked me if I take alot of protein, then he said wouldn't eating too much protein makes you go cranky? Then he referred to his nephew who transformed his body from a skinny guy to a fitness model body, he said that his nephew is taking "supplement" that makes him go cranky, he said eating too much red meat will make you go cranky isn't it? The only supplement that can makes you go cranky as I know is only steroid.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    My boss noticed that I've been working out and he asked me if I take alot of protein, then he said wouldn't eating too much protein makes you go cranky? Then he referred to his nephew who transformed his body from a skinny guy to a fitness model body, he said that his nephew is taking "supplement" that makes him go cranky, he said eating too much red meat will make you go cranky isn't it? The only supplement that can makes you go cranky as I know is only steroid.

Even Steroids really won't make you go "cranky". If you are already an a**hole, they can enhance that.
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I hate unsolicited advice in general. Going off on a slight tangent here, but I get a lot of it from my mom over my daughter. She hasn't had a one year old in 26 years, but she thinks she knows nearly everything about them and the things that she doesn't know, I should get advice or explicit permission from my doctor. Apparently the fact that I have done more research in the last three years about children than she has done in her entire lifetime means nothing. I can't possibly know that we will have to baby proof our door knobs now that my daughter has figured out how they work. That's totally not common sense and it's only something an experienced mother would know. Baby led weaning is the most dangerous thing ever...unless my doctor told me it was ok, then it's all good. Ugh.
  • TighteningStrings
    Options
    I hate that. I once got told I couldn't eat carrots because they were too high in sugar. Carrots! Also "OMG you are eating GRAPES?! They're so full of sugar you'll never lose weight"....

Yeah, because a handful of grapes is going to make it completely impossible for me to lose weight.....
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I hate that. I once got told I couldn't eat carrots because they were too high in sugar. Carrots! Also "OMG you are eating GRAPES?! They're so full of sugar you'll never lose weight"....

Yeah, because a handful of grapes is going to make it completely impossible for me to lose weight.....

that's how i got fat. it was all those darn carrots and grapes.... :laugh:
  • lyndalpn
    lyndalpn Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yes. I freak out the fat police by eating nuts and avocado and eggs YOLKS AND ALL! *OMG*
    I also get a lot of crap on here for eating 1200 ish calories a day - Im short and small framed and it works for me. I have not plateaued or starved myself or turned into a pumpkin yet. It may not work for you, however. But guess what - Im not making it compulsory, people!!

I think we can share some constructive positive opinions with friends if they would like it, and not be offended if they chose a path different from ours. I think we can keep our nosy crap away from those who are not looking, especially strangers.

All rise against the food police!!!!