Obese and running for weight loss

Options
I'm 80+ over weight. I want to start running again. Don't like walking and HIIT are scary lol. I need motivating stories and success with how running/jogging helped you lose weight and also what you gained from it. thank you!

Replies

• KKabo
    KKabo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I also enjoy running and have done the Couch to 5K program a couple of times. Previously, I didn't adjust my food intake and didn't really lose weight. This time around, I'm running and cutting back the calories I eat and it's working for me. I've lost 14 pounds so far and I continue building my running time/distance. I highly recommend Couch to 5K to build up your running stamina.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much running helped me lose weight – I am sure it did in combination with my other workouts. But, for me, my running success was that I never believed I could do it. I would make jokes like "I only run for the ice cream truck" when I was heavier and self-conscious about it. Every year, I would sit on my front porch and watch the city's biggest 10k pass by and tell myself "someday I am going to do that." The single happiest moment of my weight loss journey was the day I ran across the finish line of that race. This year will be my third time running it. For me, running was how I learned to stop telling myself I couldn't do things and started believing I could accomplish anything.
  • aleesh_
    aleesh_ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I started couch to 5k at 250 pounds... I never quite finished it I'm still stuck around week 5 but you don't HAVE to follow the week guide if you don't want just follow your body queues. I'm now 216 pounds, but I also do Jillian Michaels 30 day shred on the days I don't run.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much running helped me lose weight – I am sure it did in combination with my other workouts. But, for me, my running success was that I never believed I could do it. I would make jokes like "I only run for the ice cream truck" when I was heavier and self-conscious about it. Every year, I would sit on my front porch and watch the city's biggest 10k pass by and tell myself "someday I am going to do that." The single happiest moment of my weight loss journey was the day I ran across the finish line of that race. This year will be my third time running it. For me, running was how I learned to stop telling myself I couldn't do things and started believing I could accomplish anything.

This was really inspiring to read, thank you for sharing :)
  • caribear1984
    Options
    I am doing this now. I am 150 pounds overweight and have recently taken up jogging. I am hoping to see some nice losses with it. I just signed up for a 5k in March, and I plan on jogging as much of it as possible. Just knowing that I can do it is a huge confidence booster. If I can do it, you can do it. :)
  • kimberlyshian
    Options
    I have been doing MFP since January 1st and exercising too. My school is sponsoring a 5k in March and I wanted to participate so I downloaded the Couch to 5k app and LOVE it. I have never been a runner, but it's amazing how much it has already helped me build my endurance and that I can actually do it.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I have back problems and when I started last year my left knee was starting to give me trouble. So what I did when I got bored of walking is run, sometimes just a few steps, until it hurt (or until my fat self was gasping like I was gonna die!) and then walk again. So if nothing else maybe you could alternate walking and jogging? Heck I still alternate walking and jogging most days. It's just that I can run 20 minutes or more instead of 20 seconds before I start walking again.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Running most definitely helped me lose weight two years ago. Eating back the calories I burned running kept me from being hungry all the time, so I could stick with a deficit long enough to lose 35 pounds.

That time I was running to help lose weight--this time, I'm losing weight to see if it will help my running. Somewhere along the way I morphed into a habitual, year-round runner with specific goals. It's not just for the calories anymore! But oh, man, it sure helps...my weekly long run is now 8 miles, burning something like 900 calories. That day essentially becomes a "cheat" day without cheating, because it's a lot to eat back. Pizza night without guilt!
  • EpicMeyri
    EpicMeyri Posts: 109 Member
    Options

WOW! omg this actually made eyes watery.. :sad: This is very inspiring! I also get made fun of a lot,. And I recently started jogging. I understand exactly how you feel. Jogging actually makes me feel amazing inside and out. and I feel it boosts up my self esteem and my confidence. I stopped caring if others are looking at me! I want to reach the running stage. For now I will stick with Jogging :) until I boost up my stamina! Thank you for making my night!

sw: 242
    cw:219
  • wolfelements
    wolfelements Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't run, I have a horrible balance that's made worse by running. But I wanted to say KUDOS to all of you for running or starting to run. I admire anyone who can do that.
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    hi there well you will love running but first see your doctor to make sure you are ok to do it then like me and others have done do the couch to 5k program its great and build you up to it so have fun and enjoy and you could look at the parkrun website they have 5k runs every saturday and might be one near you
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly a great motivator, but I am overweight and have been running for some time now to lose weight... I'm 5'9 and currently weigh 242 lbs. Two years ago I started running when I weighed 265 or so. I ran and didn't really watch my diet.. Over a year I probably lost 15 lbs and completed two 5 mile races, mind you not in any sort of record time. My pace is around 5.5 mph. Unfortunately, I got hurt last spring and I ended up gaining back most of what I had lost.

Back in January I started running again and started out slow. I also began watching my diet, which has been a huge help. Every pound I lose makes it a little easier to run further and faster. Start out slow and don't overdo it. That's really the best advice I can give. In no time you'll be able to run further and faster.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Walking/Running helped me lose 60lbs about 6 years ago. I started off with a treadmill set on 1% incline and walking to one show/movie per night (about half an hour to 1 hr). Every once in awhile I'd get into a really good movie and actually walk the whole 2 hours. Then I started running.

I switched to walking and other things and over time my weight crept back up a little (20lbs). I'm currently doing running and CrossFit, and the combination has really helped.

Hope you find something that works for you!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I was morbidly obese (about 90lbs or so overweight) when I started running. It is all I do for exercise. I wasn't able to run to my mailbox, and within a year was running long runs about 2 hrs. I started with a c25k-esque program, but kind of bagged it half way through and just ran instead. Running allows me to burn enough calories that I can eat enough food to be happy but still lose weight. It does wonders to control my anxiety and stress. If you want anything more soul searching or inspiring, my whole running story is in my profile (and I'm way too lazy to type it again).
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    Just tossing my advice out for what it's worth.

I tried the couch to 5k program, and I was about 100 lbs away from where I needed to be. I could make it through, shin splints and all, during the "warm up" phases (the shorter jog periods toward the start of the program). But eventually it took a toll on my knees. Thankfully, no ligament or cartilage damage, but my kneecap got knocked a bit off its track and my knee squeaked like a rusty hinge. Thankfully it is something that is fixable with a little exercise, but it was still kind of a scary prospect, trying to lose weight and having a sore knee.

What's worked really well for my is the elliptical runner. It gets your whole body worked out and burns a great amount of calories. The large burn you get on here will help your weight loss start, and minimize knee impact. And if you push yourself, you'll get your cardio system to be healthier too. This is all great prep for running. I plan on trying the Cto5k once I lose more (currently 310, want to try this when I get around 250 or so).

But the best thing to do is listen to your body. Try it out, and see if you feel "good" sore or "bad, injured" sore. Make sure to stretch before and after, and cool down with a walk rather than sitting down and stopping right away. And if it works, you have my best wishes in succeeding! (well, you have those either way)
  • roblumpkin
    roblumpkin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Last year i lost 89 pounds running......9 months after starting i ran a half marathon and also a Ragnar relay...it was the best i ever felt! I have since gained back most of the weight after injuring my knee and am now finally able to get going again. It is not easy but the way i did it(mind you when i started i weighed 279 pounds) i would run for 2 minutes and try to increase it by a minute at least every week then walk the rest of the half hour. so i would do 2 min run and 28 min walk. As i lost it got easier and easier till i could run for 30 min straight. The key i learned from a friend was to run slow. You dont have to set the treadmill up to 5 or 6 start at 4MPH and go from there. Good luck!
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm still 150lb from my goal weight, but I jog occasionally. I used to do it more but stopped the reason is because 20lb heavier (at about 330lb) I got really into jogging intervals (15 sec, then 30 with a 1-2 minute break and another interval for about 30-45 min 3x a week) but it started to hurt my knees and ankles even though I lost those 20ish lb in a month doing it. I stopped jogging because I got scared I was going to injure myself badly. Now (20lb lighter as i said) I still jog but not for long (maybe 30 seconds) and not often (about 3x in a 30 minute walk) and maybe twice a week. I've been doing this for about 3-4 weeks now and haven't had any knee/ankle problems this time. As it helps me lose weight I'll probably try to add more. My point being, TRUST YOUR BODY! If anything starts to hurt, cut back a little until it's comfortable. Don't push yourself into an injury.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    Running is my primary source of exercise! I started walking when I was about 220lbs (after 40 pounds lost from diet alone) and when I got a little better and a little bored I started adding a bit of running. When I started I couldn't run 100 feet, now I run 3 miles several times a week, and have gone up to 4 miles at a time. I'm taking a coached running class, and I run with my cousins.

The best part of it beyond the physical health benefits though are the mental health benefits. I am amazed at myself every single time that I am actually RUNNING. Me! Healthy enough to run for miles! And it provides me with a set of goals and accomplishments that are healthy but not related to weight loss, which is excellent for motivation-- it's good to look beyond the scale to your overall health. It makes me feel great about myself. And I also find it fun. I'm seeing parts of the city I've never been to before, meeting great people, getting to know my extended family-in-law (the cousins I run with now). I'm still obese technically, though I've only got a few pounds left until I reach overweight, and I'm a slow runner for sure, but it's definitely done me a lot of good.

I'm signed up for 3 races this year so far and I can't wait! :)
  • RunningOnPurple
    RunningOnPurple Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I cannot run* due to a torn meniscus in my right knee. However I started walking probably at around 330 to 340 and never looked back. I walked a 5K on January 1 and have another one scheduled in April. I also wanted to say that if you try C25K and it isn't for you, don't be discouraged. When I could run and tried it before, I hated it. I much prefer to do my own thing and once I get my knee fixed (which will hopefully be soon) I'll start my own plan for running again.

*Since I've lost weight I've noticed that I can run for up to a minute at a time with no pain but I won't run anymore than that because I don't want to risk further injury. In the beginning, though, I really couldn't run at all.

Good luck to you!