Weighted Hula Hoop Circuit

Options
2»

Replies

• wyattsmomjoy
    wyattsmomjoy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello! My hoop came yesterday! I got a 4lb (3.9) Trim Hoop. Of course, I couldn't do just 1-3 minutes as recommended for beginners! I am sore and have bruising, but understand that will eventually go away. I am looking forward to learning more control and getting a dance hoop in the future! So glad this this a topic on here!

So, today, my bruises got progressively darker! I wasn't going to hoop tonight, but I did anyway, and omg,, did it hurt! I was yelling with the pain, it made my son come check on me! lol! But I did it anyway, each rotation hurt! I did 1 min each direction. Think I'll do a couple more.

I tried to make one, but the diam of the pvc wasn't big enough, was too droopy and too light. Im going to try again!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    this had renewed my interest, with all the bending over to pick it up i was shattered lol i'm going to keep practising though, that site hooping.org looks really good :flowerforyou: so glad you shared it

When I first started, I convinced myself that all the bending down to pick it up WAS my exercise for that day. LOL It probably actually was a pretty good workout. Lots and lots of bending down and standing up again.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    This sounds fun. Hula hoops still fit me like a belt so I'll have to wait..

Try doing it around your neck. It feels a little weird, but it's a great way to start. Even when I couldn't hoop the regular way, I've always been able to do it around my neck, lol. It makes you lean back and really engages your ab muscles.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    There are lots of arm and hand tricks to try too to break up the monotony or to do while bruises heal on other parts, just twirling it in your hands and dancing around is a great workout and way to get started with some more dancy hoop moves when you are getting started. :D
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

Try doing it around your neck. It feels a little weird, but it's a great way to start. Even when I couldn't hoop the regular way, I've always been able to do it around my neck, lol. It makes you lean back and really engages your ab muscles.

I have used a hoop that was bigger than I am tall. If their is a hooping community near you, there is someone making custom hoops. Check out meetup.com or just google for hooping in your city.
  • JVWard98
    JVWard98 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 3rd day up to 30 min. now without stopping and I love it!! no more bruising. I'm a little tender at times but I can tell my body is getting use to it. Mine is a 3 lb and I have not dropped it so I'm really liking this workout. Does anyone have any before and after pics after doing the hoop for a period of time? Also how long did it take you before you could tell in your clothes? I hope i'm doing mine properly. I usually just stand there and move around or side to side to keep it going. Mine actually came with a DVD and I need to watch it again.

It's nice seeing all the replys! Thanks everyone!
  • JVWard98
    Options
    I forgot to add I've been doing it about week now. :smile:
  • Diahann_Hughes
    Diahann_Hughes Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I hoop at least 4 times a week it is amazing :) xx
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I can't even hula with a plastic hoop. Wish I could. This sounds like and easy, fun exercise with good results. Go for it!
    watch a video or take a class. i never could do it until 10 minutes into a class with good instructions. it is simple once you get it! you can do it!
  • philohagen
    Options
    I hoop pretty much every day. You can burn 210 calories in half an hour according to the American Council on Exercise - which ranks up there with boot camp and it's a lot more fun. Sometimes I crank the tunes and hoop dance to the music, sometimes I just hoop while watching tV, but there's really nothing better for strengthening your core.

If you're having a hard time with hooping the odds are it's your hoop - when you're a little kid there's a lot of empty space around you inside the hoop. Well, when you're an adult you're going to need an adult size hoop - so track down one. My first hoop hoop was about 48" in diameter and stood from the ground to about chest high - so find the hoop that's right for you. You can also check out hooping.org - there's a whole world of hoopers out there.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    i purchased a weighted one ... thought it would be a fun fun way to wiggle my waist smaller but its JUST TOO big and I can't do it ... will look into getting an non weighted one
  • peace_frog21
    peace_frog21 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

You don't have to wait!! Just get a bigger hoop :-) Kids hoops aren't for adults. My first hoop was 48" in diameter from Betty Hoops. It's huge, but only about 1.5"...I couldn't keep it up when I started but now I use a 36" hoop :-)
  • peace_frog21
    Options
    I hoop pretty much every day. You can burn 210 calories in half an hour according to the American Council on Exercise - which ranks up there with boot camp and it's a lot more fun. Sometimes I crank the tunes and hoop dance to the music, sometimes I just hoop while watching tV, but there's really nothing better for strengthening your core.

If you're having a hard time with hooping the odds are it's your hoop - when you're a little kid there's a lot of empty space around you inside the hoop. Well, when you're an adult you're going to need an adult size hoop - so track down one. My first hoop hoop was about 48" in diameter and stood from the ground to about chest high - so find the hoop that's right for you. You can also check out hooping.org - there's a whole world of hoopers out there.

Philo!! I'm glad someone else started with a hoop that came to their chest. My first one was a 48" too. I pick it up occasionally, and giggle. :-)
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I knew a girl in college who made and sold weighted hula hoops...I never tried it, but if her physique was any indication, they work freakin wonders!

Go for it!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have worked with a hoop,that s as tall as I am, slow and easy is the game there!
  • JVWard98
    Options
    When I started the topic I said I had a 2 lb, its actually a 3 lb. Its going great and I love it and I am seeing some results already!!!!
  • ValkyrieWrath
    Options
    Ive been hooping for a month now and very happy with the results. Originally I had to find something that was low impact as I have Fibromyalgia and Dr. said only brisk walk or swimming were in my range....Sadness. T-T

Well I know must of us don't like to think of "working out" as a chore so I did some serious research and found Hooping.

Even got a few friends into it, who are now dropping pounds like crazy with MFP and hooping. I'm so proud!

We ended up making our own, super simple! And it was lot cheaper than buying hoops online. Eeek!

They still range as weighted (2-3lbs dep on tape and PSI) but at least this way we were able to customize them. Colors, size, and whatnot.
    Hoop is suppose to hit you @ bellybutton up to in b/t your chest area. I am a 6' chick and chunky so I needed a hoop that was about 42" around to start, my friend who's shorter but bigger than me needed a 54" hoop, and my b/f (yes, he loves it too) needed a starter with a 50" hoop to keep it up LOL. You can always change your size once you get better at it, just takes some practice :) Like I said making them so much easier and cheaper.

Plus there's tons of free vids out there on Youtube that can show you tricks, tips and proper methods of hooping to really get a work out. But it's so much fun, who cares how much to work out?!

Hope this helps! :)

Ceciley
  • peace_frog21
    Options
    Hello! My hoop came yesterday! I got a 4lb (3.9) Trim Hoop. Of course, I couldn't do just 1-3 minutes as recommended for beginners! I am sore and have bruising, but understand that will eventually go away. I am looking forward to learning more control and getting a dance hoop in the future! So glad this this a topic on here!

So, today, my bruises got progressively darker! I wasn't going to hoop tonight, but I did anyway, and omg,, did it hurt! I was yelling with the pain, it made my son come check on me! lol! But I did it anyway, each rotation hurt! I did 1 min each direction. Think I'll do a couple more.

I tried to make one, but the diam of the pvc wasn't big enough, was too droopy and too light. Im going to try again!

If you want a heavier hoop go to Lowe's (or sometimes Home Depot, the HD here doesn't carry the right kind) and you want black irrigation tubing. Comes in 100" roll. IF you want a heavier hoop get the 3/4" 160 PSI tubing. For a middle weight hoop you'll want 3/4" 100 PSI tubing. Mind you, this is a 100" roll. If you plan on making about 8-10 hoops, you'll use it all. Otherwise, it is an investment 20-40$, and you'll have a 85ft roll of tubing sitting around your house.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I have a 4lb hoop. It's a lot of fun, in the beginning you will be sore and have bruises, but give it time it will go away.
    It's a fun way to watch The Biggest Loser!