The Alcohol Question

Options
2»

Replies

• amasot
    amasot Posts: 86
    Options
    Excellent post, ripgirl. Alcohol calories are not the same as any other calories and it's good to know why. I stopped dinking years ago because of medication so although the post doesn't pertain to me personally, I'll know what to answer when people insist "but the doc says it's ok to drink ONE glass of wine a day!" Sorry to those of you that drink. It's a bummer, but it's fact.
  • cindydufield
    cindydufield Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump
  • geri1geraldinesuzanne
    geri1geraldinesuzanne Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i have been a drinker for quite a few years and now i have no choice but to cut it out if i want to loose weight, last year i tried dieting and exercising but gave it up as i didn't seem to loose a gram, but didn't give up drinking either. this time i've stopped drinking completely (15 days without alcohol) due to nearly going into shock when i weighed myself and weighed almost 89 kg, since then i've lost almost 3 kg, so it seems to be working.

although some years ago in various occasions when dieting i did manage to lose considerable amount of weight without giving drinking up. i suppose that metabolisms change with age (????)
    :drinker:
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    i know exactly what everyone means. My main problem used to be food choices i made after drinking alcohol. I cut back a lot as I considered myself a heavy binger (1 or 2 times a week) but when i upped the exercise i continued to lose weight as well as being able to drink socially. Its a fine balance like the article says. My best friend drinks every week and has a fantastic ripped body. He is a builder so gets all his exercise from work. Its just a point I'm making that there's point you can get to where you can stay in shape and still manage to enjoy your social life. I am hoping I will get to that point soon too, though i have a very mundane sitting down job so all my energy has to be used outside of work. Oh well its a bank holiday this weekend looks like i better start joggin it off now lol.
    ps When people call alcohol toxic (which i know it is) it really puts you off having a drink !!!
    Ben
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    I find the "all or nothing" mindset really doesn't work for me - that's why calorie counting does (for me anyway) - I can sometimes have a treat and can still figure out how I can make little adjustments or tweaks to my calories or my exercise to make up for it. I LOVE wine too - I can take or leave any other alcohol quite easily but I love good wine. And for me that isn't something I'm willing to give up because I get a lot of pleasure out of it. I do think it's possible to lose while drinking (in moderation of course) - I'm losing 1-2 pounds a week and I have a glass or two of wine every couple of nights.... Maybe I'd be dropping 2 - 3 without the wine, but we can't give up all pleasure, can we?
  • pfenixa
    pfenixa Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I already figured drinking wasn't great for weight loss, but I was thinking more along the lines of calories or sugars. Definitely a good read, and good to know when my drinking in-laws ask why I'm not drinking again (the mild alcohol poisoning of last time won't hold forever, hehe).

I get crazy munchies when I drink anyway. :P
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    How enlightening...sadly...
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I'm at maintenence now, but I drink 1-2x a week and it does nothing to inhibit my goals (muscle building and endurance training). I run almost 2 miles a day and have defined abs. ;)

I don't drink wine though. I drink 2-3 vodka/sodas each time I drink. No sugar or carbs.

I think alcohol in moderation is fine. I think the reason it may inhibit weight loss is 2-fold. One, you're drinking the wrong things (i.e., sugar). Two, you tend to be less strict in your diet if you are buzzed, drunk or hungover.
  • Lshizz
    Lshizz Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    How enlightening...sadly...

Seriously!

Although, I think I fall into the, "not willing to give up all the pleasure" category for now. I've been losing much slower than many people's profiles I see, but I'm still drinking on weekends and going out with friends. I'm not trying to over-indulge but I do have some drinks socially...I figure, at least it's not really bad drinks, bacardi and diet is my poison. I used to drink a lot more throughout the week, so weekends only is a big change for me. I'm also in the middle of a move right now from NC to the DC area and trying to squeeze in a few last days w/ friends. I think once I get settled in my new place, I'll have a much easier time trying to cut it out completely.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    Although, I think I fall into the, "not willing to give up all the pleasure" category for now. I've been losing much slower than many people's profiles I see, but I'm still drinking on weekends and going out with friends. I'm not trying to over-indulge but I do have some drinks socially...I figure, at least it's not really bad drinks, bacardi and diet is my poison. I used to drink a lot more throughout the week, so weekends only is a big change for me. I'm also in the middle of a move right now from NC to the DC area and trying to squeeze in a few last days w/ friends. I think once I get settled in my new place, I'll have a much easier time trying to cut it out completely.
    I just move to DC from Cali. Are you moving for work?
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I lost close to 30 pounds keeping my one glass of wine a night (I did cut down from 2 or 3 a night :drinker: ) no way I'm giving up my wine for good....haha as you can see by my profile pic!

It can be done! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I don't drink very often but I do on occasion go out with friends for a night of drinking/dancing. I get to a certain point then I just switch to water. I somtimes enjoy a glass of wine at night after an exceptionally hard day at work or if I can't sleep (great sedative by the way lol). I notice I don't lose as much on the weeks I have a drinksbut I feel like I need to learn to do these things in moderation anyways if I want to do them as this is a lifestyle change, not a diet right?
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,661 Member
    Options
    I lost close to 30 pounds keeping my one glass of wine a night (I did cut down from 2 or 3 a night :drinker: ) no way I'm giving up my wine for good....haha as you can see by my profile pic!

It can be done! :smile: :flowerforyou:
    This could have been me writing this post! :happy:
  • SayRah
    SayRah Posts: 104
    Options
    Hahaha! Wow glad I read this....I had a glass of wine and 12 oz of beer today to "celebrate" by 6 lbs weight loss. Well no more alcohol for me....not till I'm a lightweight anyway.
  • feeny
    feeny Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    everything in moderation. i'm not going to cut out alcohol completely for the rest of my life. that's just silly.
  • OpalFruitJam
    OpalFruitJam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Being a student, it has been very difficult to not get drawn in with the drinking! It tends to go with the whole university experience!
    I have managed to lose however despite having a blow-out maybe once or twice a month.

I used to drink an awful lot, perhaps a bottle of wine plus bar drinks twice a week (because we used to go out twice a week)
    However, since trying to lose, I have been going out much less and on the occasions I do go out, I am selective with what I drink.
    I will measure out vodka or gin (low cal spirits) in a jug, and then allow myself only that with a diet mixer.

If it is a special occasion, I will purchase Weightwatchers Wine... I feel a bit better drinking that, despite the fat burning effect in my body being the same.
    I think drinking is a part of my life, and I do enjoy it- so it isn't something I will realistically give up.
    I am however much more awarte of the effects and keep it to a minimum- enough to enjoy myself, but not enough to go over board!

Finishing uni for the summer now however- so I won't be going out anymore, so will hopefully break plateau over the summer!
    ^_^