How many miles should I be running a day?

Options
Right now I'm running about 2 - 3 miles a day on the treadmill at an average incline of 2. Should I be running further?

Also, I'm not sure what leg exercises I should be doing to tone my legs. I'm only doing squats and lunges. Please comment if you know of any other exercise that are good for the legs!

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I do deadlifts also for the back of my legs
  • cocolicious2
    cocolicious2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    squats, lunges, wall sits, sumo squats, bridge, jumping jacks, calf raises, burpees
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    It depends. How many miles you should be running depends on WHY you are running.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Are you training for a race? Or just using this as a form of cardio?
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Im running just to tone up and lose some fat
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    If that's your goals you'd get better results lifting weights, in my opinion.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You should be running whatever you want to run every other day. Running every day unless you are a seasoned runner is a recipe for injury. Do your cardio one day and your strength the next.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    If you are running to get toned, then strength training will definitely be a better option. Or, if you want, trail running is awesome for leg toning and strengthening. You can run everyday if you want since you are doing such low mileage. However, it is advised that you take at least 1 rest day to allow your body to properly recover.

A great site that will show you different exercises for different muscles is http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/muscle/id/7/muscle/quadriceps

There are many other exercises, but this is pretty good.