AGE OLD WEIGHTS VS CARDIO -

Options
I would like to get some opinions......

I weigh 97 kg at the moment, I need to loose at least 20-23 kg. i have already lost 6 kg

I am 173 cm tall and have never been small, I have a rather strong muscle base....

should I loose the weigh first , then build on toning and more strength or should I incorporate it now already.

Will strength training ( bench pres / squats and some resistance training) help loose weight , I do not just want to compact my weight to be smaller, I want to be lighter too..... I don't want to weigh just a little less and be alot smaller, i would like weigh less and then be compact.

DOES THE MAKE ANY SENSE?

I feel so confused.

Current training
MON WED FRI - 10min cardio warm up and strength for 30-40 minutes
TUES THUR - CARDIO

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    .... I don't want to weigh just a little less and be alot smaller, i would like weigh less and then be compact.

DOES THE MAKE ANY SENSE?

I feel so confused.

I'm pretty confused by this too. You say you do not want to be "alot smaller" but then say you want to weigh less and be "compact".

If you want to weigh less eat at a calorie deficit.

If you want to have a firm body strength train.

Choose your goal and go with it.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn, even at rest. So lift some weights, now.
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I am sorry it hardly makes sense in my head.

I dont just want to be smaller ( ie weigh the same with smaller measurements) )
    I want to be smaller and lighter,

Will strength training 3 x times a week help me get lighter too or will it build muscle ..thus maintaining weight and just drop cm
  • neilvv
    neilvv Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I do cardio and strength training and i am losing weight at a good rate. I'm no expert but it has worked for me my progress in in my profile pics <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    If you start lifting now it should tone what you have under the excess weight that you are trying to lose and give you the required result at goal weight. Hope this makes sense ...
  • JKS76
    JKS76 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to be lighter? If you looked lighter and felt great and fitted into smaller clothes, wouldn't that be just as good if not better? Sorry, struggling to understand? X
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I am sorry it hardly makes sense in my head.

I dont just want to be smaller ( ie weigh the same with smaller measurements) )
    I want to be smaller and lighter,

Will strength training 3 x times a week help me get lighter too or will it build muscle ..thus maintaining weight and just drop cm
    You don't build muscle while in a caloric deficit - you're not providing the body with the "raw materials" it needs to build anything. Strength training (along with adequate protein intake) helps you preserve what muscle you have while you lose the fat. Keeping the muscle you have is a lot easier than trying to build muscle later (which involves "bulking", or eating at a caloric surplus and inevitably gaining some fat along with the muscle). You'll still lose weight while strength training - it may be a bit slower because you're not losing as much lean body mass along with the fat.

Bottom line - if you want to be a skinnier version of your current self (with similar bodyfat levels), cardio to your heart's content. If you want to be slim, lean and fit looking, start strength training now - the sooner the better. It's been put this way: "Weight loss makes you look good in clothes; strength training makes you look good naked."
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    Thanks guys,

JKS 76 - I have Psoriatic arthiritis and I need to actually weigh less and be lighter on my joints. I struggle with constant pinched nerves etc, its pretty tough. all my docs agree that being lighter will help

ANVIL HEAD - Thank you that makes perfect sense..

Neil - Thanks that helps

So i should be good at 3 days strength and two cardio? DEF AIMING for sexy naked! :noway:
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • neilvv
    neilvv Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you should do,i do 3 days cardio and 3 days strength-weights push ups and sit ups. Hope you do well !!! I wont say good luck as it's all on you and the effort you put in,have a good one.
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    I'm not sure what you should do,i do 3 days cardio and 3 days strength-weights push ups and sit ups. Hope you do well !!! I wont say good luck as it's all on you and the effort you put in,have a good one.
    That is so true you know, I am working real hard but only train 5 days a week, very rarely 6 days.

On strength days I do
    Bench press
    Squats - on rack
    Some resistance on circuit
    Sit ups
    and hopefully soon push ups :)
  • KazSmith68
    Options
    Hi, I lost the bulk of my weight doing mainly cardio, then started with weights, I have almost reached my goal and have nice muscle appearance in my arms and starting to show now in my stomach. Anyway that's my story and I'm so so happy. :) Good luck!
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    Hi, I lost the bulk of my weight doing mainly cardio, then started with weights, I have almost reached my goal and have nice muscle appearance in my arms and starting to show now in my stomach. Anyway that's my story and I'm so so happy. :) Good luck!
    Thank you
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    look up stronglifts 5x5 or new rules of lifting for woman and follow it you can add in some cardio on your rest days.

On a calorie deficit you will not build muscle but you will drop fat
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    look up stronglifts 5x5 or new rules of lifting for woman and follow it you can add in some cardio on your rest days.

On a calorie deficit you will not build muscle but you will drop fat
    Thank you
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a trainer, if so get a session or two. If not I would do some research for fitness plans based on you goals. Also remember Chronic Cardio is catabolic – it retards muscle growth, interrupts protein synthesis, and can even reduce existing muscle mass. I'd say do plenty of cardio & circuit training with minimum rest intervals. (ever see a bulky distance runner)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/362419-is-cardio-the-best-way-to-get-a-lean-body/
  • JKS76
    JKS76 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I understand better now thank you! I'd say primarily still concentrate on building strength as this (with the correct guidance) will help with your joint issues, bone density, resting metabolic rate. Etc etc And even wothout cardio will help you burn fat too. Good luck with your goals and I hope you got the advice you needed? Add me if you want another cheer leader! I think you're ace for addressing your health concerns in the way you are!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    1) It looks similar to Bill Phillips' Body for Life program.

2) While some of the information is sound, there's also a heaping helping of broscience in that article. He says you don't need a caloric deficit to lose weight and also insists that 6 meals a day is essential (which has been scientifically disproven). Not that 6 meals a day won't work - if it helps somebody with dietary adherence and satiety, there's nothing wrong with it - but there's nothing magical about eating every 'x' hours.

3) Bodypart split workouts (splitting the bodyparts/muscles across different days) aren't necessary, and are most likely less productive for a beginner than a full-body workout three times a week. Not only that, but he includes a lot of 'fluff' isolation exercises in his routines rather than relying on basic compound movements, which provide the biggest 'bang for the buck'.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    1) It looks similar to Bill Phillips' Body for Life program.

2) While some of the information is sound, there's also a heaping helping of broscience in that article. He says you don't need a caloric deficit to lose weight and also insists that 6 meals a day is essential (which has been scientifically disproven). Not that 6 meals a day won't work - if it helps somebody with dietary adherence and satiety, there's nothing wrong with it - but there's nothing magical about eating every 'x' hours.

3) Bodypart split workouts (splitting the bodyparts/muscles across different days) aren't necessary, and are most likely less productive for a beginner than a full-body workout three times a week. Not only that, but he includes a lot of 'fluff' isolation exercises in his routines rather than relying on basic compound movements, which provide the biggest 'bang for the buck'.

Totally agree with AnvilHead!