Away with Work next week - HELP!

Options
Hi everyone,

I really need some help. I am going away with work next week, and will be staying in a hotel for a week. I will be completely out of control of what I eat. I am really starting to freak out. I feel sick with worry about what I can eat and I am so scared of gaining weight! I really don't want to go.

I am staying in a premier Inn hotel. There is pub like chain restuarant in the hotel which will eat at because its paid for by work.

Any helpful hints and tricks to calm me down? Thanks :)

Replies

• beatmyblub
    Options
    Hello,

I would drink a bottle of fizzy water before each meal as this will help to fill you up and not want to eat so much. Also don't keep any change on you as you'll be tempted to hit the vending machines late at night.
    You could also try looking for the meal online to plan calories before hand?

Hope some of this helps!
    -Beatmyblub
  • fionaeharvey
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks! The fizzy water tip is such a good one! I will be definitely doing that. So does the looking online at the menu! I hadn't even thought of that...was just freaking out!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You're letting your diet take over your life. Work is important (I'm guessing) so you have to do this and find a way to make it work.

You can do this.

You ARE in control of what you eat - you can choose wisely off the menu, not have huge portions, and remind yourself that this a lifestyle change.

Which chain restaurant is it, they might have an online menu? Are you eating 3 meals a day there?

If it was me, I'd go for porridge or poached eggs for breakfast, easy on the toast, a soup for lunch, and whatever fish option they had for dinner unless it was fried. If you're there all week, make friends with the waiting staff and chef if you can, they'll be able to give you extra salad, or maybe grill something instead of frying it.
  • Anthony110101111110001101
    Options
    Your choices may be limited but you still have control. If it isn't on the menu ask if they will make something. I'd be surprised if they don't have some sort of salad and a healthy piece of protein to go with it. I had a flip out over a training course this week and when push came to shove I just made the right choices and I didn't eat all those nice little cakes they put out for us at morning and afternoon tea.

I wish you the best of luck with your week away for work and I have faith in you that you can do it. :smile:
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Why?
    I mean - I used to stay away a lot when I worked full time, and indeed I am going to a conference in Vegas in May where the challenges will be far worse than a premier inn!

What do you have now for breakfast? I have poached or scrambled eggs, grilled bacon, tomatoes - pretty much any breakfast buffet will have those. I alternate with greek yoghurt, honey, sometimes fruit or toast - again pretty much everything will have that.
    I don't know of any place that doesn't offer fruit, low fat yoghurts, as well as the more calorific options.

Lunch was always more of a problem - canteens normally have soup or salad options - if you are not somewhere where lunch is provided, then you may have to buy something lower cal from shops, but again - most shops and sandwich places can provide soups or salads (I have no idea what you have normally!).
    If it is a buffet - there is a generic buffet plate option in here that is a hefty whack of calories, but if that's all that's available to you, then you will have to make do, and try and go for the protein options and leave out the carby sarnies, if that's your preference.

Dinner is, as you say, the main issue.
    BUT - again a lot have lower cal options or just ASK - I have asked in the past for a baked potato instead of fries, grilled chicken, or salmon ... there are options available to you.
    Just use some common sense and try and pick what you would normally have if you weren't away from home.

If you feel you really can't - then remember this is JUST ONE WEEK.
    You are making a lifestyle choice, so you may have to deal with what you have for that week, manage as best you can, and then settle back into your routine.

This is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • vlnalto
    vlnalto Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you're with co-workers, ask someone if they want to share/split a meal if you end up in the pub. I'd bet some others would be grateful you suggested it!
  • jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Most places tend to have some options which are lower in calories, thinks like salad instead of fries help too. I'm sure wherever you go you'll be able to find something to fit in with what you want.

Just watch for Premier Inn random fire alarms at 2am ;)
  • Insathius
    Insathius Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Some great tips there, just remember it is a marathon and not a sprint - the extra stress and work that you'll be doing will mean you'll have to eat more anyway.

The best tip I can give you is that for Lunch, just take fruit from the hotel or just with you if that's all you have then as long as you keep within the normal budget there is no way you could go too much over.

The stress will be that your food isn't in your control, all week - something you have to keep in mind is that it is only for a week! you'll be back home in no time! :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "I will be completely out of control of what I eat."

Really? I had a look at their website and it doesn't mention force feeding...

Just make sensible choices from the menu and eat only as much as you want to. Plate push-away is a great exercise. :smile:
  • disdatdude
    Options
    I'm sure the don't have a buffet in the lobby...well, maybe on Sunday, but you can pretty much tell them what it is that you want to eat and how to prepare it.

Just ask what the have in the kitchen and order it seasoned the way you want. They'll have eggs, oats, unseasoned meat, possibly fish and raw veggies to say the least. They have to use those ingredients to cook everything anyway. The only thing you will have to worry about is the portion size and how it's prepared. There should be a grill, broiler and burner (for steaming) back there. If you've been dieting a while you can probably "eyeball" most of the things that you normally eat and come close to what you measure out at home. Ask for a saucer or 2nd plate, take the excess portion of food and place it there, then chuck it the dueces. Have the server take it away so that it doesn't tempt you.

It's not hard. You just have to stare temptation in the face and tell it "bump you" if your eyes start drifting. If that's too hard for you (which I doubt), you can probably get your grub to go and head up to your room:wink:
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    I had a job for 3 years that meant staying mainly in Prem Inns round the country at least 2 times a month adn I spent regular time at one in Leicester. The food is not the best but as others have said, go for things like poached egg for breakfast. that is not in the buffet but you can ask for it, (I have many times) but even the bacon, along with tinned tomatoes and beans, won't be too bad. They do do porridge too though I can't stand the stuff and there is always fruit salad and yogurt in the buffet so that, with a piece of toast is ok.

Tea is not the best there as most of the stuff is fried but they do have the odd healthy option and/or you can always order things like Chicken and an extra bowl of side salad and just ignore the chips!! (they are pretty rubbish anyway)

Just build in a nice long walk each evening or, if it is possible, maybe a walk to where ever you are working each day if it is near enough to do and long enough to be a decent march.

I would also stock up on healthy snacks for when you don't feel like having the prem inn food, and as you are away with work, expect to be offered drinks most evenings so alternate with soft drinks, stay in room with a good book and/or having fun having the tv remote to yourself or , if colleagues will pressure you, give a reason why you can't drink for a week, then you are stuck with that lol.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    1. Hotels have gyms. No excuses

2. Don't over eat stuff that isn't new or unique. You KNOW what a cheeseburger and fries tastes like, so no reason to hurt your progress because of it.

Enjoy
  • RomanaW
    RomanaW Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Plan beforehand and be determined. Stay away from bread and bad carbs. Order grilled vegetables or salad as your side dish. It takes longer to chew. If you have to have a starter due to a peer pressure, go for a salad. Stay focused and log in your food, it will help you not to go over the board.
  • jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Options

You've never stayed in a Premier Inn! Most of the time you're lucky to get a bed, definately no gym!
  • fionaeharvey
    Options
    Hi guys!

Thank you so much for all the advice.

You are right I am not totally out of control, but as someone who always tries to cook everything from scratch. I feel like i don't have control, as even healthy options can be full of calories in a restuarant. Some pub salads can reach 800 cals!

Also there is no gym, so i will be walking as much as I can.

I feel so much better after all your helpful advice. Definitely will be doing all the tips!
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Look at menu before you go. Pick your food and make sure to say - no sauce, dressing on the side, grilled not fried.

Also - Order first if you can as you will NOT get influenced by others. Pass the bread away from you so you are not tempted.

You can do this.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    One more thing - Ask at desk if they are affiliated with a gym to use for free or nominal fee!!!
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat a month ago - I was away for a week on a business trip.

Things did not completely go to hell but I certainly went over, mainly due to drinking!

Make good choices when you can, but do not freak out over every "bad" thing that you might eat.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options

2. Don't over eat stuff that isn't new or unique. You KNOW what a cheeseburger and fries tastes like, so no reason to hurt your progress because of it.

Enjoy

No gyms in Prem Inns I am afraid. It's a uk budget chain where the rooms are pretty decent with good beds but they don't offer much more.
  • jbr121
    jbr121 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just don't beat yourself up over it. I travel for work frequently, and if I get a hotel with a good gym and good choices - brilliant. If I don't, it's not the end of the world. Ill just get back on track once I'm home. Sometimes upping the cals for a short time even helps the loss - there are plenty of people here who have proven that.

Remember, losing is more a marathon than a sprint. If you get off track, dont sweat it.