Remind me the scale fluctuates?

Options
Hubby and I have a tradition of cooking an amazing V-day dinner after the kids go to bed, and this year we had steak, creamed spinach, risotto, escargot and bread. It was yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum, and so worth the calories (at the time, anyway), but this morning I'm up 2lbs from where I was yesterday morning. I know I would tell someone else in my position that A) it's not likely fat gain; B) fluctuations are normal, and C) weight loss isn't a race, anyway, but I am a little pissed at myself! Of course, what else can I do? Give up? Not going to happen...guess I just need to push through. But I'd love reassurance that I didn't just totally ruin my progress for one meal.

Replies

• LJSmith1989
    Options
    Course you didn't! may be use the toilet first... haha no seriously enjoy a nice calorific meal once in a while... you spent time with your husband which is the benefit of it. Just get on with your healthy eating as normal and remember that its long term not short term! you can do it x
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You didn't ruin your progress with one meal. No worries. :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i have not weighted myself in about two weeks...

you are better off just weighing in maybe once a month or every three weeks...and I would definitely not weigh in the day after valentines day ..that is like weighing in the day after thanksgiving..LOL

I would not worry about it..just eat in a deficit today to make up for it..
  • shannonsky
    shannonsky Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    i have not weighted myself in about two weeks...

you are better off just weighing in maybe once a month or every three weeks...and I would definitely not weigh in the day after valentines day ..that is like weighing in the day after thanksgiving..LOL

I would not worry about it..just eat in a deficit today to make up for it..

OMG, tell me about it. I need to get the damn scale out of my head. Easier said than done.
  • roxierachael
    roxierachael Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Escargot marinates in rock salt for several days, so it's definitely water weight.

Also,

(((******YUCK*****)))
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much over 1 day's meal. I know it's difficult whenever you see the scale go up, but weight fluctuates. I sometimes have a 'cheat day' and my weight may go up a little for a day or two, but comes right back down. It's the general trend on the scale that is most important. It's when I consistently do what I shouldn't that the scale goes up and stays up.
  • Tamara6984
    Options
    I weigh a pound more today than yesterday, but I can do my belt up on one hole tighter today???!!!!

The scales can destroy your confidence if you take too much notice. Keep up the good work and don't beat yourself up over it :)
  • laluna6
    Options
    Don't worry so much about the scale, it fluctuates anyway. And Valentine's day is something special (to some people) so it's okay to celebrate. I ate a lot too, but I don't regret it ;) It was fun and very tasty, but it's an exception. No need to punish yourself.
    Hope you realise that one meal isn't going to ruin your progress, as long as you don't go overboard on a regular basis.
    Good luck! xxx
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Last night was Taco Night. I had three mexican style tacos (soft shell tortilla, onion and cilantto...no cheese or sour cream) and a small portion of chips and guacamole and was 800 calories below my TDEE but the scale was up 1.5 pounds this morning. Pretty sure I didn't accidentally eat an extra 5000 calories and not notice.

Yes the scale fluctuates.
  • JoanneC_Walks
    JoanneC_Walks Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Could be the time of day, too. Isn't the earth's gravitational pull greater at night than in the daytime? I notice that my morning weigh-ins are more satisfactory that the ones later on in the day. I never weigh myself after 7am.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have been logging consistently and logging everything, exercising and I have even stayed under on the weekends which is usually my biggest challenge and I am up a little over 1lb, the 1lb that I had lost since I have refocused a month ago. It is really frustrating but I have just resolved to keep on trucking and just weigh myself once a month.
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    2lbs of fat would be 7,000calories on top of your calories needed to maintain your current weight. I highly doubt that you ate that much food in one night. It is more probable that you may have eaten sodium rich food that caused you to retain water and so you have some water weight. Stay away from the scale, drink lots of water and relax :)
  • shannonsky
    shannonsky Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    2lbs of fat would be 7,000calories on top of your calories needed to maintain your current weight. I highly doubt that you ate that much food in one night. It is more probable that you may have eaten sodium rich food that caused you to retain water and so you have some water weight. Stay away from the scale, drink lots of water and relax :)

lol I don't know.... ;-)

I'm ordering some new running shoes right now to cheer myself up :) You are all right - I'm going to try to double down on the water today to make up for it.
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Get it, girl!