8 cups of water per day?

Options
2»

Replies

• stacifahlsing
    stacifahlsing Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The research that I read said that a person needs to take their weight and divide by 2... that is how many ounces you should drink of water. So, I weigh 212... I need 106 oz of water or about 13 glasses of water. I drink that and more ... usually. My goal is to finish by 7pm too so that I am not having to get up a million times at night. So, I keep a 24oz cup next to my bed full of water. When I wake up in the morning, I chug it. I then do all that I need to do in the morning while trying to drink a refill. I then start my coffee... which is my reward for all that water! Lunch starts my additional refills on that cup. I drink one with lunch, one between lunch and dinner and another with dinner and up to 7pm. Anything left at 7 gets chugged too! The key is the first couple glasses when I wake up. Skin is much better! Try it!
  • ashleypeha
    Options
    I like to add lemon to mine, gives it extra flavor. I usually drink about 10 8 oz glasses a day. It will make you feel so much better to drink lots of water!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I keep a travel mug with me at all times and keep it full of water. I get more in if I sip all day. Plus I'm not tempted to drink other stuff when I've got my trusty water mug in hand :)
  • allisonhammond
    allisonhammond Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It is possible to drink too much water - when I drink more than 4 cups I get leg cramps and other side effects as well. The amount of fluid needed is very dependent on the individual - we differ in size, metabolism, activity, and calorie needs, and we differ in the amount of water (and other fluids) that we need too. With that said, increasing water consumption does often decrease the sensation of hunger.
  • Jojo1859
    Jojo1859 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Just drink it. If you feel hungry drink it, if you feel thirsty drink it. Once it's a habit, you won't be able to stop. You'll feel great! Only bad thing about upping the water intake is that you feel dehydrated faster because your body is so used to the water.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Actually...there is no scientific proof that a person needs 8 cups of WATER a day. There is proof of you needing at least 8 cups of fluids a day. The 8 by 8 started out when all the scientists and doctors decided how much fluids a person needs on a day to day basis. As long as you are getting 8 cups of healthy fluids in you, then you are fine.

For all of those who are going to try and fight me on this here are reference to support the above:

Snopes: http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
    CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/06/08/water-eight-glasses-myth.html
    Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
    Scientific American: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day

rduhlir wins the argument IMHO :wink: :drinker:
  • sunforme3
    sunforme3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Was never a water drinker myself, but sliced up some lemons and lots of ice in a pitcher and find that I'm refilling midway through the day. The hardest part now is the frequent trips to the bathroom! Try slicing up some fruit and adding it to your water, you may find it more enjoyable.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    P.S. It's 8 cups of water or other low calorie/no calorie fluids per day. So those pints at the bar I had last Friday don't count.
  • Jojo1859
    Jojo1859 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Also if you have an iphone or androd, you can download an app to help you remember to drink water :) Most water apps are free too!
  • phykes203
    Options
    Careful with water.... since I switched to plant based foods, I need far less. Too much water can be as bad as too little. Unprocessed foods have a much higher water content, aka salad versus dry cereal. I no longer subscribe to the 8 cups a day theory. And yes, I know I'm biased but I sure feel better and no longer have to coerce myself to drink water. And I'm much better hydrated than ever before.
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I recommend getting a 64 oz water bottle and make it a goal to drink nothing else until it's gone. That's how I started, I was like you, hardly drank any fluids but my body definitely needed it :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    P.S. It's 8 cups of water or other low calorie/no calorie fluids per day. So those pints at the bar I had last Friday don't count.
    Sure they do, beer is still over 90% water. Hard liquor is really the only thing that won't hydrate.
  • BlackField2
    Options
    i have read that a person should drink 8 cups of water per day, but that seems like so much! i usually only drink 2 cups. i just don't get thirsty! how can i force myself to drink more? how much water do you guys drink per day?
    I'm like you, I don't really drink more than 4 or 5 cups a day but at work I did a hydration test and I was told I was so dehydrated that if I don't drink at least a liter of water within the hour, I'd have to stop work. The thing is I didn't feel dehydrated, I just felt tired(meaning I was drinking coffee, which probably made it worse). So, yeah, try drinking more water if you feel tired or lacking in energy and it might work wonders for you(it did for me).
  • suzywantsitall
    suzywantsitall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Loved reading these post ! answered so many questions I had about WATER, I do have a hard time during winter months to get in even 2 cups of water. But now I realize why my energy might be so low and my skin looks blah. Setting a goal today to drink at least 6 and move up everyday. So my bathroom trips begin !!!!!!!!
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    i drink about 12-18 cups a day. As others have mentioned, I think it really depends on the individual.
  • bmstee03
    bmstee03 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have a reusable water bottle that hold 4 cups. I marked it with a sharpie and a ruler in fourths so I drink about one 1/4 an hour. I drink easily 12-14 cups a day. I used to log it religiously but now I know I am always going to be above so I don't bother so much. It just helped to get me in the habit.
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I always shoot for 4 liters (roughly a gallon) of water each day. To remind myself to drink, and how much I've actually had, I keep a one liter bottle with me pretty much at all times. Each liter is roughly 2 glasses of water, four fullfills the 8 glass guidance. So, each time I drain the liter bottle I know to add two classes into my food tracker in here.... :smile:
  • spookysoups
    spookysoups Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Coming from a very hot state, I have had a gallon of water a day at times in the summer. It's amazing how much you can sweat out of your body in the stifling heat. I get away with much less in the coolness of winter here.( It rarely gets cold in Texas.)

Just a reminder that plenty of water in the summer months is a no brainer if you are out in it and working out. It could get down right dangerous!
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Drinking water has not been a big issue with me. Growing up we almost always had water with our meals. I became more conscious of how much I drink several years ago when I was trying to lose weight. One "trick" you can use is to fill a gallon jug with water, keep it in the refrigerator and make a point of taking some throughout the day. At the end of the day you can tell if you've had your 8 cups. You can also count other things you drink, like coffee or tea. If you want to add a little flavor to your water you can add a little lemon or cucumber slices. I read once that if you add 1 cup cranberry juice to 1 gallon of water it acts as a detoxifier. I don't know if that is true but is gives a little flavor to the water.