Dr is worried I am getting a eating disorder???

Options
HI All,
I was at the Dr yesterday as I have not been losing weight and was getting frustrated-
she was asking me about what I eat and when I told her, she thinks that I am getting paranoid and may be developing a eating disorder....I don't think so at all,

in the past she has given me xenical- however I don't take it as I don't always eat alot of fat-

my diary is open if anyone wants to take a peek- I have stopped with the wine as well and still have not lost anything- I just discovered this site so it's only about a weeks worth of food-

I am 5'3
40yrs old
156 pounds

Thanks all

Replies

• tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    IMO you are definitely not eating enough. You ate 900 calories one day. If that is normal for you, I can definitely see where your doctor would be concerned.
  • dford5
    dford5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough. You only broke 1200 calories one day and that is the bare minimum. Eat more.
  • jarrodburroughs7
    Options
    I just read through your diary. Maybe you should show it to your doctor. Your calorie goal may be a little low and it may be worthwhile to talk to your doctor about that and make a plan together. BUT you do seem to be eating and eating healthy.
    I've had (have?) an eating disorder and you don't want to be too obsessed, but the doctor may not have a full understanding of your habits.
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    You need to definitely eat more sweetie :(
  • NatWillBeSkinny
    NatWillBeSkinny Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    im the same i never eat of my 1200 calories and scared of going near anythin with fat it, this has only been for the last 3 weeks but i cant even force myself to eat it people have been telling my fat is too low on most days but i thought that was what makes u loose weight by not eating fat ! :S
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You eat low calorie, but you eat a variety of foods (many fear foods for patients with eating disorders) so I do not think it looks like one. You just want to lose weight and your DR is a bit dramatic. Maybe see if your insurance covers seeing a nutritionist or dietitian? Do you exercise everyday? Add at least 30 mins, even if it is a brisk walk.
  • boggsmroz
    Options
    Agree with the others. Eat more.
    There's a thresh hold number your body needs just to sustain it's everyday function, and without meeting that need your body will go into survival mode and just cling to what it has rather than allow you to lose weight.
  • sunset1004
    sunset1004 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Eating more may seem like the wrong thing to do if you're trying to lose weight, but for me at least, I lost more weight when I ate around 1600 calories a day and was exercising. I am taller than you at 5'6", so your number may be a little lower than mine, but it really shouldn't be below 1200. Maybe try eating 1400-1500 calories for 2 weeks and amp up your exercise a little just to see what happens?
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Three things I see:

1. Under eating - not a balanced diet

2. Not enough water

3. No exercise (which would require even great calorie intake to balance things out)

Recommend showing your diary to your doctor and I agree that your desire to lose weight is causing you to restrict yourself too much which could lead to other health issues. I think that you need to talk to your doctor about developing a healthy meal plan and exercise goal.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I stopped on the day I saw you're eating 627 calories.... I agree that you do need to eat more (at least your BMR) and you're not. Figure out your BMR and TDEE(read this post if you don't know it-http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12)
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    im the same i never eat of my 1200 calories and scared of going near anythin with fat it, this has only been for the last 3 weeks but i cant even force myself to eat it people have been telling my fat is too low on most days but i thought that was what makes u loose weight by not eating fat ! :S

that was me but if you workout it's ok and eat healthy fats like nuts and such. It can be done. My diary is open if you want to see.
  • cjlorigan
    cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
    Options

You lose weight by eating at a caloric deficit not by avoiding all fat. Some fats are actually GOOD for you and your body needs them to function properly.
  • LovahLorah
    LovahLorah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, you are not eating enough, MFP already calculates a calorie deficit and you are lower than that deficit everyday, you should be trying to eat your 1400 cals a day that MFP calculates and drink lots of water....I don't know too much about the "starvation mode" that I have heard about, but I do notice that when I eat more (healthy foods), I lose weight quicker and more steady. If you body is getting too little food, it will try to hold onto that food because it is not sure when its next meal will be...if you are fueling your body more, then the lbs will start to shed. Not an expert, but this is what I have "heard" and experienced.If the Dr. is concerned about your eating habits, then maybe he thinks you should be eating more as well. Try not to obsess about it, just make healthy choices, somedays you will be under, somedays you will be over, but you will find a balance.

Oh and water, water, water....it really helps!

Good Luck!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: you need to eat more and eat more nutritious foods......eat more fresh or frozen vegetables and lean meat and fish and stay away from anything that comes in a package or box. your body needs good fuel and enough to keep it running well....you need some fat, like olive oil
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    After looking at your food diary I can truly understand why your doctor is concerned that you are developing an eating disorder. The thought of eating more may be scary, but you should take that thought into consideration. Look at food as fuel. You need to fuel your daily activities and you need to fuel your workouts.

There are a lot of useful resources on this site to help you get a better understanding of what you need to do; In Place of A Road Mad (IPOARM) is one of them. I've included the link below.

Best wishes.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    If your portions are measured correctly, then you are definitely not eating enough. MFP calculates what you should eat in order to lose, it already has a deficit calculated in, so eat all of your calories.
  • dford5
    dford5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

That's not true. Some fats are good for you. Monounsaturated fats (MUFAs) like avocado, nuts and dark chocolate can actually AID in fat loss. Omega-3s found in salmon are good for your heart and joints.
  • NatWillBeSkinny
    NatWillBeSkinny Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    im gonna have a look into good fats and where to find them thanks
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Copy your diary and send it to your doctor...TLet them make the descision....But my guess they will say you have misinformation on what your goals should be and a misconception on what is nutritional and what is not.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Definitely consider eating more, though, I think it's a bit of a stretch you're developing a disorder.