Portion control idea.

Options
I was watching tv, and a mom on the tv show mentioned a neat way to keep up with portion control.

When she would buy a box of Cheez Its (or whichever snacky food), she would portion out the entire box and put the small portion into Ziploc baggies, and put them in her pantry.

That way, it's easy to just grab a bag on your way out.
Or if you're like me and love to have a snack while watching tv, you don't have to worry about over-eating or eating more than what you planned.

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I have to do this with my snacks as well. I don't have a food scale or anything so stuff that's portioned out by ounce, I just grab ziploc bags as many as the "# of servings per" bag/box and just eye it until they all look about the same and I have all the bags filled. Or things like pretzels that you can actually count out. It definitely stretches the food also... because you probably wouldn't get as many servings if you just ate 'til you were done... than if you actually go by the serving size.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of doing this. I buy the tiny half bag ziplocs and the 8oz ziploc tupperware for my cereal and snacks. otherwise i'm prone to eat right out of the box and i most certainly eat the entire thing. :noway:
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Its also a good idea to do with mixed nuts. Because they are so high in calories but also good for you, it is a great idea to divide them out
  • Harper1984
    Harper1984 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My friend does this for her kids. She throws all of the baggies into a bin and if the kids need a snack, they can get into there and pick out a bag. Then she doesnt have to worry about them eating too much of a snack and they can get it on their own without her having to worry about them spilling entire packages of stuff on the floor if they are trying to put some in a bowl by themselves (they are under the age of 5).

I have never done this for myself....but its an awesome idea!
  • sroseber
    sroseber Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I usually do this with my snacky foods and nuts. I say usually, because sometimes I don't, and then I overeat those foods and wish I would have! Someone mentioned doing it with cereal...I usually measure out my cereal when I get it....but then again I said USUALLY. I never thought about using the small storage bowls and premeasuring out my cereal. Great idea!
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Portion control is CRITICAL...but are you actually as controlled as you think??? Check out this youtube...it is EXACTLY why I weigh EVERYTHING, no more measuring cups for me...and it is so easy, easier than measuring cups, actually...just put your plate on the scale then turn it on then start adding food...it is REAL tough to cheat when you are measuring out 7 grams of bacon bits!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY&feature=player_embedded
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    What an amazing idea! Thanks for that!
  • cranky2003
    cranky2003 Posts: 72
    Options
    That's a great idea!! Thanks for the tips!
  • breakingthepath
    Options
    I do this with cheese... I -always- think a serving is bigger than what it is.
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I saw an article a while back where someone was selling plates with decorative sploches on the plate which was actually what you should portion your food to be. There were three splotches on it for your meat and two sides. Something like that! I've been wanting to go to Color Me Mine to make my own.