Anyone do a cleanse?!

Options
Hello everyone! I know this seems to be a touchy question but I was wondering if anyone ever does a 24 hour body cleanse? or any type of cleanse? If so what do you do? How does it work? How often do you do it? I am thinking of it more as a once in awhile to clean my body out one day. I do not want or am not looking for long extensive ones because I know those are definetely not good for you. Thanks so much ahead of time!

Replies

• elephant_in_the_room
    Options
    What do you mean by 'body cleanse'?
    Yes I do shower every day at least once, but not for 24 hours ever. 3 minutes is recommended here. :smile: :wink:
    Ok, or do you mean what other people are calling 'detox' here and still other people slam as utter nonsense? (me, to be honest, included).
    Or do you simply mean a combination of fasting and laxatives/enema?
    I fast occasionally but haven't made it to any of these laxative sessions yet. As for 24 hours of fasting once in a while,I can only recommend it,it's fantastic.
  • Time2Shine86
    Options
    yes I mean a type of fasting...I do not want laxatives thats crazy! what do you do when you fast?
  • ECR1989
    ECR1989 Posts: 158
    Options
    I did a juice cleanse last September - it was after 2 months playing and partying at a festival with loads of heavy drinking and bad eating. I lost weight on the festival cos I was doing JM 30 day shred but just felt awful because of all the crap I'd put into my body.

I don't have the programme I did cos it's my friends plan from her nutrionist. But basically we had 3 juices a day, taken with a variety of drinks and vitamins. I felt fine on the first day - had loads of energy and didn't really notice that I hadn't eaten, but the 2nd day was much harder, but then the 3rd day again was ok. I think some of the time it's a mental thing...

I felt much better afterwards as it was a complete detox (the veg and fruit we were using were organic and also locally sourced yay!) but I don't think I'd do another one again in a hurry. I don't think I could do it and carry on with my daily routine...

You could find a nutritionist and get them to design one for you if a 24 hour cleanse is what you're looking for - best to do it that way I think because they can look at your health and everything and determine what's best specifically for you.
  • elephant_in_the_room
    Options
    I wake up, drink water, go to work as normal, survive the day on water, black coffee and black or green tea, sometimes with a stevia sweetener, sometimes with a little milk and then sometimes not. I usually get hungry at lunchtime and again at 2 and again at 7, but it goes away each time, and energy levels are great and I feel generally good. I usually have broth from 1 stock cube in the evening. I go to bed early. I wake up fresh the next morning and sometimes not even hungry!
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I do 24/7 cleansing. Functioning liver, kidneys, lungs. and GI system.

Really, that's all you need. The rest is marketing so save your money.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    The medical research does not support the cleanse trend. Eat right (which clearly you appear to be doing) and save your money.
  • lisarfrank
    Options
    I do not care what has been proven and so on and so forth. I just go by how I feel when I do things. I do a colon cleanse once a month (NOT LAXATIVES), and I have done other cleanses. I do feel better and more energetic. The average person can carry up to 8-10 pounds of waste in their colon! Nasty!!! Maybe it is in my head, but once a month is not going to hurt anything.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I do not care what has been proven and so on and so forth. I just go by how I feel when I do things. I do a colon cleanse once a month (NOT LAXATIVES), and I have done other cleanses. I do feel better and more energetic. The average person can carry up to 8-10 pounds of waste in their colon! Nasty!!! Maybe it is in my head, but once a month is not going to hurt anything.

The average person DOES NOT carry 8-10 pounds of waste in their colon. Who says that? The people selling colon cleanses, that's who.

And your colon is supposed to have waste in it all the time--that means that it's continually functioning as you continue to eat throughout the day. If your colon is empty, either you're not eating or you have some sort of GI blockage.
  • lisarfrank
    Options

The average person DOES NOT carry 8-10 pounds of waste in their colon. Who says that? The people selling colon cleanses, that's who.

And your colon is supposed to have waste in it all the time--that means that it's continually functioning as you continue to eat throughout the day. If your colon is empty, either you're not eating or you have some sort of GI blockage.

I work in the healthcare business and I do know that is a FACT. An average colon is 32 feet long. Please do some research on it.
  • lisarfrank
    Options

I work in the healthcare business and I do know that is a FACT. An average colon is 32 feet long. Please do some research on it.

Sorry, 25-32 feet
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! It usually lasts til about lunch.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I know this seems to be a touchy question but I was wondering if anyone ever does a 24 hour body cleanse? or any type of cleanse? If so what do you do? How does it work? How often do you do it? I am thinking of it more as a once in awhile to clean my body out one day. I do not want or am not looking for long extensive ones because I know those are definetely not good for you. Thanks so much ahead of time!

I cleanse everyday by eating whole foods, lean proteins, fruits, vegetables at every meal then drinking plenty of water and going to the bathroom. Works great. Also, if I do the above program with exercise and a caloric deficit I also lose weight. Its really a miracle how well it works.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

Sorry, 25-32 feet

Your small intestine is ~22 feet long; your large intestine (colon) is about 6 feet long. YOU need to research it!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Sorry, 25-32 feet

So, when you do a fast, are you losing 8-10lbs of waste? How much time do you spend in the bathroom to get rid of all that?
  • lisarfrank
    Options

Sorry, 25-32 feet

So, when you do a fast, are you losing 8-10lbs of waste? How much time do you spend in the bathroom to get rid of all that?

I am not here to argue. I do not need to research anything (I have already done that) and a colon cleanse goes on for several days. I have never have never had diarrhea with one, just go more often. The most I have lost with one is 5lbs. It is impossible to lose the 8-10 pounds unless you are not eating.
  • lisarfrank
    Options

Sorry, 25-32 feet

I am not here to argue. I do not need to research anything (I have already done that) and a colon cleanse goes on for several days. I have never have never had diarrhea with one, just go more often. The most I have lost with one is 5lbs. It is impossible to lose the 8-10 pounds unless you are not eating.

Just wanted to add that it is not a permenant weight loss.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Who cares how long your intestines are. All of these cleanses are a scam!
  • lisarfrank
    Options
    Who cares how long your intestines are. All of these cleanses are a scam!

I agree that noone should care how long the intestines are. lol

I do not take the pills which I agree are silly and basically laxatives. What I do is all natural and are recipes. I copied and pasted the ones I use and can be found on WebMD.

If you suffer from chronic constipation or other intestinal disturbances, you may want to try a homemade colon cleanse to flush out some of the toxins in your body that are contributing to your ill health. You don't have to spend a lot of money to cleanse your colon; you can often use ingredients you already have to make a colon cleanse. However, you should schedule your colon cleanse to begin on a day when you do not have to leave the house to give your body time to adjust to the internal cleansing process.

Apple Cleanse
    Step 1
    Eat your favorite type of apple all day long, from morning to dinner time, to lose weight and cleanse your colon, states Dr. Ben Kim, a chiropractor and acupuncturist who runs a fasting and chiropractic clinic in Ontario, Canada. Apples contain fiber, which adds bulk to the waste material that travels through your colon. This bulk helps your body turn waste materials into well-formed stools, says Kim.

Step 2
    Eat a dinner that is at least 50 percent green vegetables while you are on the apple cleanse. Eating in this manner will supply your body with good calories and prevent you from experiencing unpleasant side effects such as fatigue while you do the apple cleanse, states Dr. Kim. He suggests dinner items such as steamed broccoli, kale, spinach, green peas and asparagus served with wild salmon, quinoa or steamed brown rice.

Step 3
    Snack on apples again if you get hungry late at night, says Dr. Kim.

Sea Salt Cleanse
    Step 1
    Stir about ½ tsp. of sea salt into an 8-ounce glass of warm water and drink the mixture in the morning on an empty stomach. Sea salt removes fecal matter from your intestines and restores optimal intestinal movement that carries food through your digestive tract, according to ColonNews.com.

Step 2
    Mix about ½ tsp. of lemon juice into the sea salt-water mixture if you can't drink the mixture straight.

Step 3
    If you still can't drink the mixture with the added lemon juice, add enough maple syrup or agave nectar to the mixture to make it tolerable for you to drink.

Cayenne Pepper-Lemon Cleanse
    Step 1
    Pour ½ tsp. of cayenne pepper into a 10-ounce glass. Add 4 Tbsp. of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Fill the glass with warm water and stir thoroughly. Add ½ tsp. of organic maple syrup to sweeten the mixture, if desired. Drink on an empty stomach up to five times per month to cleanse your colon. Cayenne pepper breaks down mucus in your colon, while lemon juice eliminates toxins, states ColonNews.com.

Step 2
    If you don't like the taste of the warm mixture, let the cayenne pepper-lemon cleanse cool for approximately 10 minutes, re-stir and drink.

Step 3
    If the cayenne pepper burns your stomach, eat 1 Tbsp. of honey to coat your stomach every 15 minutes or so until it stops burning.

Ginger-Psyllium Cleanse
    Step 1
    Juice enough apples to fill an 8 oz. glass. If you do not have a juicer, fill the glass with organic apple juice. Add 1 tsp. each ground ginger and ground psyllium husk. Mix thoroughly or blend on low until smooth. Psyllium binds waste materials together, while ginger flushes toxins from the colon, states ColonNews.com, and the nutrients in the apple juice will support your colon during the cleanse.

Step 2
    Drink eight to 10 glasses of water after drinking this cleanse to move the psyllium through your colon.

Step 3
    Eat a light lunch and dinner following the cleanse because the psyllium will expand in your stomach and heavy foods might give you a stomachache.

Things You'll Need
    Apples
    Green vegetables
    Quinoa
    Brown rice
    Wild salmon
    Sea salt
    Cayenne pepper
    Lemon juice
    Ginger
    Psyllium
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    When someone can convince this PHd researcher below they make sense I will buy it. Until then I am in the "its a pile of crap" gang. Sure someone that is eating an unhealthy diet will experience great things with a detox or cleanse, but if your diet is comprised of nutrient dense foods I can't see much benefit. If you find them helpful, have at er.

http://www.biolayne.com/nutrition/detox-diet-scams-and-product-scams-get-called-out-by-real-scientists/

The apple cleanse, sea salt cleanse, and ginger cleanse sited actually do not appear to be flogging their own products, so those are not the worst offenders that annoy me. All of those things can be added into a regular daily diet. It is interesting how general the doctors comments are. Seems to be a trend amongst the detox fans.
  • elephant_in_the_room
    Options
    Apple Cleanse
    Step 1
    Eat your favorite type of apple all day long, from morning to dinner time, to lose weight and cleanse your colon, ... Apples contain fiber, which adds bulk to the waste material that travels through your colon. This bulk helps your body turn waste materials into well-formed stools,...

I eat an apple a day, sometimes two or three, sometimes nothing else, sometimes a dinner of only vegetables afterwards. It certainly does not result in increased defecation, if that's what 'colon cleansing' is.
    states Dr. Ben Kim, a chiropractor and acupuncturist who runs a fasting and chiropractic clinic in Ontario, Canada.

Aha. http://www.trickortreatment.com/
    Cayenne Pepper-Lemon Cleanse
    Step 1
    Pour ½ tsp. of cayenne pepper into a 10-ounce glass. Add 4 Tbsp. of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Fill the glass with warm water and stir thoroughly. Add ½ tsp. of organic maple syrup to sweeten the mixture, if desired. Drink on an empty stomach up to five times per month to cleanse your colon.
    Sounds a lot like the 'lemon detox master cleanse' originally designed by Stanley Burroughs and recently voted as one of the greatest lemons of 2012 (http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/diet-and-fitness/worst-diets-of-2012-20130110-2cidk.html), but if you are mixing it yourself instead of paying someone too much for the privilege, I don't see why you shouldn't do it if it helps you feel better.