Eating your exercise calories...

Options
Pretty straightforward question. I have been exercising like a crazy woman lately-- I enjoy running, so it's not really a hardship. I am trying not to "splurge" too much on yucky foods just because I may have burned 1000 calories on a run. Instead, I will maybe eat 2 whole eggs for breakfast instead of 3 egg whites... or maybe stop and get a non-fat latte for a treat. I don't just allow myself to eat an entire sleeve of Oreos because I exercised that morning. I am eating some, but usually not all of my exercise calories. But I am just not seeing the steady progress on the scale that I would like to see. Right over 17 lbs in 70 days... this week, despite the fact that I ran a ton, I only lost .6 lbs. I know that a loss is a loss, and I definitely want to do things the right way. But I am discouraged by how slowly it is going. Anybody have any words of wisdom, or ways that I can switch things up to see better progress? I do try to do some strength training, but I would like to get more consistent in that. If it makes any difference, my daily base calorie goal is 1360. Thanks in advance for any input you have!

Replies

• TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    17lbs in 70 days is 1.7lbs per week, which seems quite good to me. When I started out on my weight loss program I was losing about 1.5lb per week. Now I lose a lot less - gets harder as you get closer to your goal IMO.

As for this week, it usually takes roughly 5-6 days for it to appear on the scale for me. When I go hard one week, it usually affects my low the following wednesday.
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing great. 17 pounds in 70 days is 1.7 pounds per week and that is pretty fast weight loss and then you say "only .6 pounds lost this week". Unfortunately weight loss is rarely a steady, linear process.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things and sounds like you should just keep up the good work. Don't worry, enjoy your non-fat latte!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    open your diary and someone here will give you real advice
  • sblackwood77
    sblackwood77 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am curious too, do you think it is important that we eat all of our exercise calories? I don't always eat them.
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I've always been told that a 1-2 pound per week loss is safe and healthy. It will of course vary from time to time. It does sound like you are losing just fine, though.

I usually eat most of my calories back. I try to stay just a touch under. My thinking is we probably understate the calories we eat and overstate the calories we burn (unless using a HRM, which I do not). My daily calorie goal is 1600 and I usually burn 400 for a regular workout. I try to eat healthy snacks through the day to keep my energy up and to get as close as I can to 2000.
  • mommamills
    Options
    yep. agree with other posters...1.7 lbs per week is AWESOME!! Be patient and keep at it! (easier said than done...I know!!) Great job so far!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Are you using a heart rate monitor to determine the calories burned?
  • melodyjstray
    melodyjstray Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Are you using a heart rate monitor to determine the calories burned?
    No, I am not right now. Just using a GPS watch to determine distance/speed-- and then calculate it based on my weight.
  • melodyjstray
    Options

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement and suggestions! I am willing to open my diary, but... ummm... I can't figure out how! lol! Let me look around some more and see what I can figure out!
  • Lsteedly85
    Lsteedly85 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement and suggestions! I am willing to open my diary, but... ummm... I can't figure out how! lol! Let me look around some more and see what I can figure out!

Go to settings :)
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    1.7 lbs/week is amazing! Don't get discouraged! I work out every day and the scale always reads the exact same number for 6 days, but then on the 7th... boom! Another 1.5 pounds gone!

If you feel like you're hitting a plateau, try to switch up your exercises. I like to do the elliptical and arm workout one day, biking and abs the next, and walking on a treadmill (incline 7) and a leg workout the next. Biking and walking won't burn as many calories, but they will work different muscles which is just as important.

Keep it up :)
  • melodyjstray
    Options
    Ok, figured out how to open the diary. Please be gentle. ;)
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    How did you get your daily goal of 1360? Did you go through what MFP said? In that case, yes you're supposed to eat your workout calories back (MFP already has it figured out for a defect) For that long of a run, I think you should be eating more-or at least, I'd need to be eating more lol Helloitsdan's post (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12) really helped me figure out how much I should be eating, especially when I first started running more. I couldn't understand why I was hungry-oh right, my body needs more food lol

Whatever you've been doing has worked wonders! Congrats on the weight lose, 1.7 pounds a week is great!

Edited cause I saw your goal (I had remembered it wrong)
  • melodyjstray
    Options
    How did you get your daily goal of 1360? Did you go through what MFP said? In that case, yes you're supposed to eat your workout calories back (MFP already has it figured out for a defect) For that long of a run, I think you should be eating more-or at least, I'd need to be eating more lol Helloitsdan's post (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12) really helped me figure out how much I should be eating, especially when I first started running more. I couldn't understand why I was hungry-oh right, my body needs more food lol

Whatever you've been doing has worked wonders! Congrats on the weight lose, 1.7 pounds a week is great!

Yes, through MFP. And thanks!!! I will check out that link!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

Yes, through MFP. And thanks!!! I will check out that link!

No problem...it's really not as complicated as it first might seem when you look at it :smile: message me if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    17lbs in 70 days is 1.7lbs per week, which seems quite good to me. When I started out on my weight loss program I was losing about 1.5lb per week. Now I lose a lot less - gets harder as you get closer to your goal IMO.

As for this week, it usually takes roughly 5-6 days for it to appear on the scale for me. When I go hard one week, it usually affects my low the following wednesday.

Yeah...1.7 Lbs per week is awesome. I think you need to re-evaluate your expectations. You should be losing at this rate or even slower. More than 2 Lbs per week should be done under the supervision of a doctor. Many people's perceptions are skewed because they see people doing fad diets and losing 20 Lbs in the first month or whatever...most of that is water...and most of those people will be it right back on when their "diet" is over.

What you are experiencing is safe, and healthy weight loss.
  • kokalvt
    kokalvt Posts: 143
    Options
    Start incorporating some lifting/strength training...sounds like your body may need a little bit of a change-up from just constant running. Lifting will help you shed some more pounds and TONE where doing lots of cardio falls short.
  • sjcook23
    sjcook23 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Your body gets adjusted to the amount of exercise you put in. I would start doing less running and work in some weight training about 3 times a week.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    1.7 lbs per week is awesome. I only eat them back if I'm feeling hungry or weak. Some weeks are not as good as others. Weigh loss is not linear. You may get a bigger loss next week, or even the week after. Don't let it mess with your mind. Just keep on doing what your doing! 17lbs In 70 days in a great accomplishment! Be happy! X

Edited to add I usually eat 1700 though, so a couple hundred extra wouldn't be a bad idea if your burning 1000. This can be done easily by eating a little cheese, nuts, olive oil etc. Healthy fats.
  • mandalyn23
    mandalyn23 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to look at your measurements too! Some weeks when I was discouraged about losing "weight" I realized that I was losing tick marks on the measuring tape. That is exciting! My body was getting leaner and more toned even though I wasn't losing a pound at a time.

Hang in there girl! Try to remember the end result and that it is a journey...there are hard times and easier times. You just have to stick it out!

I have now kept my weight off for nearly 2 years and have figured out a good fitness and eating plan for myself...but I too have my off days :) You just have to keep getting back on the horse!

Good luck and MANY blessings on this journey for a healthier YOU!