Protein

Options
Why does it seem like I ALWAYS go over on my protein? Is it set too low? I am always under on everything else. How much protein is too much and hard on your body?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It would be easier to answer your questions with an open diary.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Why does it seem like I ALWAYS go over on my protein? Is it set too low? I am always under on everything else. How much protein is too much and hard on your body?

WAY more than the MFP default. Like equivalent to as many calories from protein as you're likely eating per day...assuming you have normal functioning kidneys.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    How much protein is too much and hard on your body?

more than you could eat
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I cant see your diary and don't know your goals but try and get 100ishg/day should be a good start, you can dial it in once you know more about your nutrition.
  • lisarfrank
    Options
    Thanks guys! I am actually taking in about 100 a day and it has me set at 88. Some days I get more if I drink a protein shake after a long run. My kidneys are fine, I think.
  • carbar90
    carbar90 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    MFP's values are pretty low for protein and high for carbs, I think you're probably fine :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Pretty interesting how it's noted that untrained people have crappy protein efficiency compared to strength trained athletes, and thus actually require about double the amount recommended for the 'average' person for a zero balance, and nearly triple for a positive nitrogen retention.
  • lisarfrank
    Options

Pretty interesting how it's noted that untrained people have crappy protein efficiency compared to strength trained athletes, and thus actually require about double the amount recommended for the 'average' person for a zero balance, and nearly triple for a positive nitrogen retention.

English please....:laugh:
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

The less activity one is acclimated to, the more protein they need to avoid turning into a puddle of squish over time, because their body doesn't use what it is given as efficiently. Which is funny, because it runs completely counter to the argument that most people use about protein requirements being lower for people not involved in strength training.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

The less activity one is acclimated to, the more protein they need to avoid turning into a puddle of squish over time, because their body doesn't use what it is given as efficiently. Which is funny, because it runs completely counter to the argument that most people use about protein requirements being lower for people not involved in strength training.

I agree, that is very interesting. I've seen some people around here insist vehemently that you don't need much protein if you're not strength training too...
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

I agree, that is very interesting. I've seen some people around here insist vehemently that you don't need much protein if you're not strength training too...

That would be because most people like to listen to government agencies when it comes to their food intake. As we all know, most federal dietary guidelines are based on poorly conducted research from a half of a century ago.