Working moms with multiple kids...how do you do it?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    PLEASE share your success stories with me. I want to know how other working moms keep everyone happy: The kids, husband, job, the house and yourself. For me, one of those things usually has to give and it is always my gym visit first, then my diet.

I have three kids, including a five month-old and am just plain overwhelmed. I am finding myself wanting to give up way more than I ever have before, but the idea of what I would look like if I completely gave up keeps me slightly motivated. I would love to hear your own story of success! Thanks in advance!
    We husbands are only used as props in the house!

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Kristi_Mitch
    Options
    Add me to the list, I work FT outside the home and have 3 kids ages 14,10 and 6. My DH works part time mostly nights and weekends. Most of the time we feel like we cross each others paths saying "Tag, Your it". I still am able to prioritize working out 6 days a week. I made a decision a few years ago that if I wasn't going to improve my health and lose some weight my kids were going to be growing up without a Mom, so I decided I had to make myself a priority too. I am fortunate in that I just recently had my office open up a gym so I can work out on my lunch break, but honestly that is hard to do. I joined my local YMCA because it is family oriented and I can bring the kids while I workout at night and they go to the activity center and have fun with kids their own age and it's a good environment, not just a childcare drop off. I am sure I could have gotten some of this weight off a lot sooner if I didn't have kids but slow and steady is my path and it is working for me.

You can do this, make a few changes and see what feels right. If it has to take a little longer than originally planned then so be it. It's a move in the right direction.

I recently rejoined MFP to get myself back on track. My total weight loss since I started in Oct. 2009 is over 100 lb's.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Stop trying to be everything to everyone.

Be selfish

My house is often a mess and I do not give a damn. My kids have to entertain themself while i run on the treadmill. I do not have a husband but if I had he would have to help.
  • hpilon27
    Options
    Quote: We husbands are only used as props in the house!

Hehe! That's hilarious! Don't worry, I'm sure you are appreciated. I do appreciate my husband, it's just that he works long hours and isn't always home to help out. Though I did come home to a sparkling house yesterday. Best Valentine's ever!
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Workout at 6am while everyone is sleeping
    My husband stays home so I'm lucky there
    take it 1 day at a time
    remember if momma ain't happy no one is happy and being healthy will make you happier!
  • Cassie8877
    Options
    Mother of 2.. work 9 hours a day.. i wake up at 3:45am (roll out of bed around 4am) do a 30 min work out get ready then get the kids ready and out the house by 6am.. then get home cook dinner and i set aside one day to go running with our 7 month old lab... and now that the husbands home from deployment ive been trying to find time for everyone at night.. but like alot of people have said plan meals out and cook ahead.. i normally cook a bunch of chicken breast for lunches and cut veggies helps.. for things to grab and go! but good luck!! :o)
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I started with at home wokouts. I would entertain the kids while I did Insanity, or they would join me and try to work out too. Hubby works late at times, but when he was home he'd entertain them for me. Once exercise became a part of my daily routine, my husband and kids knew when it was mommy's time to exercise. I would wake up early and go for a run, or do a workout video once they were all bathed. I now go to a Crossfit gym and I have a set time, so my husband and I work as a team so I can make either the 7pm or 8pm class. They have an area for kids so I've taken them a few times. Where there's a will there's a way. You've gotten tons of great advice from people who have been there. Start off with something that works for you, once your family gets used to it they'll all be glad to pitch in. Keep moving mama!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options

Hehe! That's hilarious! Don't worry, I'm sure you are appreciated. I do appreciate my husband, it's just that he works long hours and isn't always home to help out. Though I did come home to a sparkling house yesterday. Best Valentine's ever!
    My opinion has ALWAYS been the same on this: ALL moms need an hour a day to themselves. Come hell or high water. If not, everyone in the household will eventually suffer!!! So SO's should find a way to relieve mom's for at least an hour a day.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I workfull time and have a 3, 4, and 10 year old.

1. I have a husband that is 50% responsible as a parent. He cooks (I clean).
    2. I workout at lunch. Sure, I get back to work all sweaty but sweaty is way better than flabby.
    3. I've had a housekeeper since the time I got married. Trust me, I'm not rich. I drive a car that's paid for, I rarely get new clothes, my kids wear hand-me-downs. We spend our money on things that will provide us with more TIME -- the most precious commodity for any working mother -- with each other. I'd drive an 89' Ford Festiva before I'd give up my housekeeping and that's a fact JACK!
  • jewnbugs
    jewnbugs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have three children (age 7 to 15 months) and I work full time. As long as everyone is healthy and therefore sleeping through the night (a real struggle this past month), I get up by 4:30 am and head to the gym before the family wakes up. I also spend some time with food prep on the weekends. I feel like a better cleaning/chore schedule and meal planning/prep would help a lot. My housework suffers the most.
  • charisse15
    Options
    Great ideas ladies !

I work full time 730-4 and have a 10yr old, 2yr old, 6 month old. DH works 9-6 and plays football 6-9 so its usually just me and the kids.

1. Im a BIG planner, I have a dinner plan for each night.. I will admit sometimes I get too routine in this and dinner gets boring. I pack diaper bags, clothes for tomorrow, lunches everything the night before.

2. I have set days I go to the gym so my parents can watch the kids.. They know Tues, Sat they watch my kids for an hour..Sunday DH is home with them before football training. If I run into a snag I use the drop in daycare at the gym.. I have to make sure I have a plan for it or I use it as an excuse.. its too easy to not go, so making my plan makes me say who are you kidding get your butt in the gym.

3. I use the heck out of my crockpot !!!! Even though I get off at 4 all 3 kids are in different places for pick up so I dont get home until 530 or so.. With homework, bathes, dinner, playtime.. Im pushing it for time usually on getting everyone to bed at a decent hour. Check out ziplock frozen dinners too.. I pre make them on a sunday, throw it all in a bag and freeze it.. pre made home cooked dinners are easy to dump in a crock pot.

4. I log on to MFP as often as possible.. it puts me in check just in case I got too busy and didnt notice my intake.
  • lmkaks
    lmkaks Posts: 119 Member
    Options

My opinion has ALWAYS been the same on this: ALL moms need an hour a day to themselves. Come hell or high water. If not, everyone in the household will eventually suffer!!! So SO's should find a way to relieve mom's for at least an hour a day.

IDEA Fitness member

Wow!!!!! You are a gem!!!!! :bigsmile:
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I have four kids and a hubby, and I work full time as the assistant director for a 911 center. My job is normally 8 to 5, but if there is a major incident in my county, or any kind of radio or computer problems after hours, I have to go in. So things tend to be kind of crazy! I used to say I did not have time to work out, but once I decided to really get healthy, I have managed to make the time. At first I would get up and walk early in the morning, before anyone else was even up. I also walk during my lunch break, take long hikes on weekends, and ride my bike when I can fit it in. My hubby watches the kids when I go on long hikes normally, or we all go. My youngest is 8, so mine are older than yours. But you can put the baby in a stroller and go for walks if nothing else. It is not easy to juggle so much, but I have found since becoming healthier, I have more energy to fit in all the things that I need to get done.

I felt quilty for a while because I was leaving the kids for an hour or two to get in some exercise, but now I truly believe that it makes me a much better mother, wife and employee, so I don't feel bad about it at all. We all need to fit in a little me time. As mothers, there are a lot of people depending on us, and if we don't take care of ourselves, it is hard to properly care for everyone else
  • cheneym66
    Options
    I let life get the best of me last year and gained back everything I lost plus some (that was 30+ pounds) . My suggestions are to log in everyday - keep track of your food, schedule exercise in just like any other appointment, find things to do with the kids - kicking a ball around - doing the WII, only buying healthy food - instead of chips, cookies and coco puffs - buy pretzels and cut up veggies and cheerios, find easy healthy things to make so you can eat on the run , pre-pack your serving sizes, good luck!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I have two toddlers, I work full time and so does my husband. My husband travels a lot for work, too, so often it's just me doing everything.

My alarm goes off at 4:05 every morning so I can workout. I either go run outside or workout in my basement (not having to drive to/from a gym saves me at least 30 minutes total).

For food, I tend to make big batches of stuff that we can eat for dinners on multiple nights or that I can at least pack with me to take to work for lunches. It's impossible to stick to my caloric limits if I eat out everyday!

I used to watch lots of TV, but now I hardly watch any.
  • aclark316
    Options
    Hi there! I am a full time working mom of 2 kids. A 2-1/2 yr old and a 10 month old. Believe me, I know how hard it is to get anything done for yourself. The was that I have found that works the best for ME is preparing meals on Sunday that way I can just grab them and not have to think about it during the week. The other thing was finding the right at home fitness program that I enjoyed because it motivated me to actually push play. Turbo Jam and Turbo Fire is soooo much fun. Plus I have my totally aswesome shake that I drink for breakfast everyday. It is completely all natural and gives my lots of energy and fills me with all of the right nutrients that I need to keep the process moving. I would love to be your friend if you'd like to add me! We can do this together!! :flowerforyou:
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've got an 11 and a 7 year old. My husband works late and I work early. I try to work out every day but sometimes it just does not happen. I try to make sure I walk at lunch time even if it's just going to the store near where I work and walking the isles when its cold outside. When its warm...I walk as much as 3miles on my lunch break. I try to lift weights a minimum of twice a week. If I'm really short on time when it comes to making the time to lift...I up the weights and do less reps so that I feel like I've "done" something even if I only spent 10 minutes doing it. I don't know if that's right or not...but keeping muscle is VERY important to me.

The diet comes first though. If I know I've eaten correctly I don't stress so much about missing a workout because of my mom duties.

Honestly...I don't know how anyone gets up on purpose at 4:30 to workout. I've got to have my sleep and as a working mom I can't get to bed any ealier than 11. There is just too much that needs to be done. It's not like I'm staying up to watch TV. I hardly EVER watch TV during the week. That's one area I can not take time from to workout and research will back me up. If you don't get enough sleep everyone including yourself suffers in one way or another.
  • shaunadphillips
    shaunadphillips Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have 3 boys ages 6, 3, and 1. I am a full time professional as is my husband. I would NEVER make it to a gym so I started using the treadmill that I bought 5 years ago when I did Weight Watchers. I got bored with it so I saved (and saved) until I could add in an elliptical. I am able to justify it because if I had a gym membership I would spend that much money on that over time. I get up at 5am most mornings (I strive for 6, but end up with 4) to work out before the kids are up. I find working out in the morning helps me make better food choices because I don't want to lose all the hard work that I had already done. Lately I have been trying to get back to the basement for another 20 minute work out after the kids are in bed, but with cleaning, lunches, and laundry that is difficult. The other thing I do to keep my eating on track is I make my lunches up for work. On Sundays I make four salads (I eat one on Monday night for dinner) for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday lunch. I also make my son's lunches then too for those days. Then on Wednesday I make up Thursday and Friday. Making ahead makes me feel as though I can spend more time with the kids in the evenings. A good friend of mine told me though that your kids aren't going to remember even 1 week from now that Mommy missed 1 hour a night from them 2-3 nights a week.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I've got an 11 and a 7 year old. My husband works late and I work early. I try to work out every day but sometimes it just does not happen. I try to make sure I walk at lunch time even if it's just going to the store near where I work and walking the isles when its cold outside. When its warm...I walk as much as 3miles on my lunch break. I try to lift weights a minimum of twice a week. If I'm really short on time when it comes to making the time to lift...I up the weights and do less reps so that I feel like I've "done" something even if I only spent 10 minutes doing it. I don't know if that's right or not...but keeping muscle is VERY important to me.

The diet comes first though. If I know I've eaten correctly I don't stress so much about missing a workout because of my mom duties.

Honestly...I don't know how anyone gets up on purpose at 4:30 to workout. I've got to have my sleep and as a working mom I can't get to bed any ealier than 11. There is just too much that needs to be done. It's not like I'm staying up to watch TV. I hardly EVER watch TV during the week. That's one area I can not take time from to workout and research will back me up. If you don't get enough sleep everyone including yourself suffers in one way or another.

Ditto. There is no way in hades that I could stay married and get less than 8 hours of sleep. I'm normally in bed (asleep) by 9 and up at 5:30 to get ready for work.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I work full time, have 3 kids (12, 9, 6), and a husband in the Navy who lives in a different state. I work out on my lunch hour. I'm lucky to have a fitness center in my office building. I try to keep the junk food at a minimum, but it's definitely a challenge. I log everything and eat semi clean. I can't wake up any earlier to work out before I leave and the last thing I want to do when I get home is exercise. So I do what works for me. Good luck!

If it's important to you, you'll find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse. I try to tell myself it's important to me every day.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!