Health Issues and Motivation

I feel like crap... sad, stressed, and snacking. I'm crammed into my jeans, feeling like I'm going to burst at the seams - figuratively and literally.

I thought I had gotten over emotional eating, but I've had some serious health issues that don't make it possible for me to do my usual physical therapy (that's what I like to call all my runs, yoga sessions, and workouts because they seriously do keep me sane) - I still exercise, but now it's not as consistently and definitely nowhere near as intense, which means I'm not feeling the same positive mental stimulation as before.

Has anyone else experienced a similar situation after finding that health issues are limiting your ability to exercise? Any tips on how to avoid replacing a clean diet and exercise with unhealthy habits like emotional eating?

Note: I am a vegetarian, and because of my health issue I can no longer eat many leafy greens or foods with a high Vitamin K content. I'm predisposed to depression and anxiety, but can't afford medications or therapy at this time thanks to the myriad of other medical bills I'm dealing with. My doctor told me I will never be able to have children. There's a chance I could live for more than another 20 years, or just three. I'm scheduled to see a Cardiologist in March, right before I begin yoga teacher training. I'm only 22. This has all been really stressful, and I spend most of my time alone - meaning I don't have anyone to talk to about what's happening. I'm just trying to flow with it, because that's all I can do, really.

Thanks for reading, more than anything I just needed to get all this **** off my chest.

Replies

• CA_Emily
    CA_Emily Posts: 12 Member
    Wow! Seems like you have a lot on your plate right now. I'm sorry for all your are struggling with. A few suggestions:

1. Drink more water. Hey, it always helps me feel a little fuller so I eat less and it makes your skin look great.
    2. Since you can't do your regular exercise, can you do more strength training at least? Walking? Swimming?
    3. This is going to sound silly, but it is not. It sounds like you need a way to deal with everything. I went through a really difficult life period last year. I was a zombie- couldn't read, focus, exercise, anything. The two things I could do mindlessly that made me feel better- knit and paint. Mind you, I'm no good, but just mixing up cheap watercolors and splashing paint on paper made me feel better. I could barely draw a flower, but the colors and the act of painting relieved stress. It boosted my mood. Find something like that to help yourself.
    4. Listen to more music. Something pretty and upbeat. Force yourself to listen to five songs a day if you have to. Eventually it will help.
    5. If you don't already know about mindful meditation check out a book from the library. Make meditation a part of your every morning and evening. It may be hard at first, but eventually you'll feel better.
    6. Do you have any good friends or family nearby? Now is the time to lean on them. Call them.
    7. Do you live near a college or university? If yes, contact them to see if they offer free counseling. Most do. There is something so wonderful and liberating about just being able to tell all your problems to a complete stranger.
    8. Ask your doctor for information about a support group you can attend. They are free and can be really helpful.
    9. Everytime you feel like eating junk, journal for five minutes first. You may still end up eating the junk, but you may not.
    10. Take care of yourself- take baths, paint your toes, whatever makes you feel happy. Do it more often!
    11. I'm going to leave you with the quote that got me through last year:

Live honorably and with dignity. When you don't think you can- Hold On. -James Frey

Just hold on. Take care of yourself. Life is what it will be, you will get more information about your health issues, and then be able to take control of your life again. Wishing you well.
  • themutineer
    themutineer Posts: 117 Member
    Thank you so much for all your wonderful suggestions! I truly appreciate your encouragement and well-wishes.

I have pulmonary hypertension and a large blood clot in my right arm, so I can't do much training at all at the moment, but I'm walking and practicing gentle yoga. I especially like your suggestion to practice meditation, though - something I have done in the past, but lately been negectful of. I will also try to find more things I enjoy doing that stimulate me creatively, connect with people, and journal. It's definitely difficult to keep myself motivated though - sometimes I wish I had friends or family members to help keep me in check.

I'm interviewing to become a Big Sister soon - something I had set up before I went to the hospital and was diagnosed - so I'm hoping that is something I can still participate in, as I think it will be really beneficial.