Exercises for those with knee injuries?

Options
My husband got a knee injury that resulted in the structure of his knee being destroyed. He's had 3 surgeries, but now he can't really do the same programs I'm currently working on, and he'd like to start doing something. Does anyone know of some good workouts he could do at home? The weight programs I found I'm not sure would work because he wouldn't really be able to do the leg portions properly, and the programs I'm doing wouldn't work because after modifying them, he wouldn't get much out of it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Replies

• bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Would he be able to swim? It's very low impact but I'm not sure how much he is able to do with the injured knee.
  • KatiD83
    KatiD83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have knee issues too. Water aerobics and swimming are great because they are very low impact. I've been doing water aerobics 3 times a week for almost a year. I've gained enough strength that I can now do light hiking and trail walking.
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    Like others have said, swimming is probably the best way to go. Way low impact and potentially high results.
  • norm1539
    Options
    I'm a year off major knee surgery myself. I unfortunately don't have easy enough access to water, but swimming is the best option if he can do it.

These should be done slowly never to the point of pain maybe only soreness the day after.

1st) He should still do weight training on his bad knee. Even if it is little to no weight. If he can start to build his strength back that will substantially improve his knee. This needs to be done slowly and carefully so not to do any harm to the knee. It took me 6-8 months to get to a point of being able to comfortably load my knee in any meaningful way.

2nd) I biked before my injury and wanted to get back to biking. I suggest using an exercise bike that lets you really lower the resistance. When I first felt comfortable biking I was 2 miles away from my home when my knee started screaming "NO MORE", that was not a fun walk home.

Moral of the story is strength training and patience are the keys to recovery.

Does anyone know of any none swimming cardio workouts for someone with bad knee(s)?