Shoe fitting? Real or Hocus Pocus?

Options

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    My experience was positive. One data point doesn't make a trend of course, but you can put me down as a convert.

I suffered horrible knee pain, have done pretty much my whole life. In the past I've been able to work through it, but now that I'm older and heavier I found that it was stopping me from starting running - by week 3 of C25k I was in agony, even with knee straps. I had medial pain, anterior pain and lateral pain - the unholy triumvant. I went to the doc, he ordered some x-rays, and suggested as a first step to consult with a pedorthist and get a fitted pair of running shoes.

I went to New Balance in Creve Coeur, MO, and spoke to the pedorthist. He put me on a pressure plate, which showed that I supinate very badly - all my weight is on the outside edge of my feet. It also showed that I have very, very high arches.

He put me in shoes that had a single material sole, slid in a wedge for the supination, and some arch supports. They felt good and I needed new shoes anyway, so I bought them. What a revelation. Within a week I had stopped wearing my knee straps because I simply didn't need them anymore. I completed the couch to 5k program, and now run 5k, 3 times a week, with no knee support and no knee pain. Granted, I have lost nearly 20 pounds over the course of the program, which will help in itself, but I credit the shoes with getting me past the initial pain and allowing me to progress to this point.
  • Abi_bug04
    Options
    BUMP.

I definitely didn't realize the importance of well-fitted shoes!
    (Currently I am sporting my dad's old runners, and they feel awful).

Looking forward to giving this a read!
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    bump. im considering going tonight..but I'm slightly terrified.
  • mhadams2668
    mhadams2668 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    real! do it!
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

There really isn't anything to fear. It's just someone finding a shoe right for your foot and gait.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Someone recently told me to get fitted for some running shoes because my out side shin muscles begin to tighten as I run and it limits my running. I am 300 lbs and trying desperately to increase my exercise in my short 30 minute time limit.

Any way so my questions are:
    1. Has anyone done this before?
    2. Is it real or just a bunch of hocus pocus?
    3. IF it is real is it worth it?
    4. Speaking of worth it how much does it cost?
    5. Who does it?
    6. And finally after getting "fit" do I know what shoes to buy in the future when these wear out or do you have to get "fitted" every time.

Thanks in advance to the wonderful MFP family.
    1 I have had it done every year or two
    2 if you go to a running/sports shop, and you have a treadmill/video fitting, then it's real and makes a difference
    3 Running shops do it for free
    4 Free
    5 a Trained member of staff
    6 this is just my take , I've lost a fair amount of weight, so my running style and need change, as did my shoes, at 325lb I needed cushioning lot of it. Now 100+lb lighter I need some cushioning and more ankle support and control.
    My running friends and I have an unwritten rule, buy one in the shop you got fitted in, and one from the net, you save money on-line, but without your support the shop will close. Two pairs of shoes will last 1000 miles (ish) a year or two's running. Run using alternate pairs of shoes, and they will last longer. and they get a change to dry out and not stink.

Great advice.

Just one thing I would add... make sure the shoes feel right when you try them. I've had it in running shops where they "prescribe" a certain shoe but it just doesn't quite feel right for my feet. Last time I tried on just about every shoe in the shop (well 30 pairs!) until I found one that felt right. Yes, follow their advice on what you need (neutral, minimal, motion control etc) but also be sure they work for you.

Technically I'm supposed to wear neutral shoes - I overpronate but have custom orthotics which correct this (and which I put into the shoe, having the removed the insole it comes with). But I find a little bit of stability really helps stop my ankles falling inward (so I run in Asics Kayano - stability and cushioning).

A good shop will also let you take them away, run in them and come back and exchange them if they don't work for you. I have done this on a no-quibble refund when a pair of shoes I was sold left me with dreadful ankle pain as they were not deep enough to fit my orthotics (it was well-known running chain but I have now taken my business elsewhere).

I do think that little local running shops are generally better - the people who work in them tend to run themselves so have much better knowledge.

I completely agree. Once a running shop helps you determine the type of shoe you need, you should try on different brands to find out what works best for you. Sometimes store personnel will steer you toward a brand because of their relationship with the vendor or because it is their own favorite; however, you should get a shoe that feels right on *your* foot. I recently took the advice of a running shop on a pair of highly recommended motion control shoes and ended up with three black toenails and hamstring pain. My second time around, I went with motion control again but tried on multiple pairs until I found one that felt great on my feet. No more black toenails and no more hamstring pain.

The right pair of shoes can make all the difference in the world when it comes to deciding whether you want to work out or not. Chose something that is right for your style of motion and fits you well and your workouts will feel so much better.
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Umm. Hocus pocus? They're watching you walk/run to figure out what would work best for your personal stride and then seeing what size you wear, not chanting an incantation that makes correct fitting shoes magically appear on your feet. :-P

I just went for my first fitting. It was free. They watched me walk back and forth about a dozen times and found I had some pretty severe over pronation (my ankle rolls in toward the end of my step; as soon as they told me, I could feel and see it and it was kind of a lightbulb moment for me). They had me try onanistic run in half a dozen pairs of shoes, all of which were comfy, and I wound up leaving with a pair of Merrell barefoots that I wouldn't trade for anything except maybe a slightly less bright color (they are nearly neon teal). They fit perfectly and make my stride comfortable. I can run faster and longer with them than I can in the shoes I just picked up off the shelf at Kohls and my legs don't feel like they're going to detach and walk off in protest afterward.

Don't be nervous. I have social anxiety and I was crazy nervous, but there was no need to be. The staff was friendly and helpful, totally not pushy, and very, very well informed.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It matters for more heel strikers than forefoot strikers.

Heel strikers need the perfect shoe for them. Heel striking is not physically possible (in any sustained way) without special shoes for it. Otherwise you will hurt yourself, that is virtually guaranteed.

Forefoot strikers don't even need shoes, as long as they actually fit you, there is little else to worry about. Usually you'd want as little shoe as possible (it is silly to go to a special running store to get your gait tested and fitted for "minimal" running shoes).

Real for heel strikers. Hocus pocus for forefoot strikers.

Heel strikers would do well to fix their gait though, we are not meant to heel strike, it is only possible due to modern high tech running shoes that really just prevent injury and reinforce poor running form.
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options

There really isn't anything to fear. It's just someone finding a shoe right for your foot and gait.

I know i'm just being silly about it. I have low arches and the shoes I have kill my arches when I run. I just have to suck it up and do it! It will be well worth it to not experience pain when running!
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I will be the dissenting voice and say it is hocus pocus. I don't mean that a shoe should not fit properly but the idea of correcting a natural foot movement ie pronation is wrong.

The US military gave recruits motion correcting shoes based on the shoe manufacturer fitting procedure. They randomly assigned anther group shoes. The group properly fitted (again according to the shoe manufacturer procedure) had a higher injury rate. The US Military decided that they would not provide properly fitted shoes to their troops based on this study. The military recommends a neutral (non correcting) shoe that fits properly.

Link to articles about the study: http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/07/07/us-running-shoes-idUSTRE6665PZ20100707 and http://www.army.mil/article/42842/.

I do not subscribe to the website where I could download the study directly.

Me, I run barefoot. The picture is my feet at the finish of last Novembers Philly race.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I've been a runner since middle school, and I've never been fitted for shoes. I just pop some on and roll my feet around to see if they feel good, but I know what kind of shoes I like by now: snug fit, low profile, thin soles, usually new balance... I also run barefoot and in non-running shoes.

Running shoe stores will do shoe fitting for you at no charge. It's a neat service. They will sell you super pricey shoes, and I think that's mostly the point, but hey, get yourself a nice pair of running shoes if it'll motivate you. Don't expect it to do wonders for any biomechanics problems you might have with your feet, ankles, or knees. Learning proper running form is more important for those issues.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    1. Has anyone done this before?

I weigh 304 pounds now. I kept having this incredible, cramping pain in the top of my left foot, right above the inside of my arch. My doctor said tendonitis or arthritis could be forming and recommended I get fit for new walking shoes.

2. Is it real or just a bunch of hocus pocus?

It's real.

3. IF it is real is it worth it?

Definitely. I feel like I can stand for hours in these shoes, and I don't have any pain when I walk. My foot is still a little sore on occasion, but I think that's because it's still healing. It's nowhere near as bad as it was before. I'd say the pain is a 2 instead of an 8 (on a scale of 1-10). I've only had them for two weeks, and the difference is amazing.

4. Speaking of worth it how much does it cost?

It was free.

5. Who does it?

I went to Gazelle Sports, which is a local chain (I believe). I told them I'd like to get fit for walking shoes, and the sales lady had me take my shoes off and roll up my jeans so she could see my calves/ankles/feet. She knelt on the floor and watched my feet as I walked away from and toward her (to check for over/under-pronating). Then she had me balance on each foot for ten seconds. Finally, she felt my arches and ran her hand down the bottom of my foot to get a sense of how deep my arch was. She also used the foot measuring thingie to check my size and width. Then she had me try on three different pairs of shoes, and I repeated the walking and balance tests in each pair.

6. And finally after getting "fit" do I know what shoes to buy in the future when these wear out or do you have to get "fitted" every time.

She recommended I replace them every six months or so many miles. She created an account for me in their computer and said they'd have my shoes on file so I don't have to remember which ones they are. I can try those next time and/or check my fit again. Since some obese people lose weight in their feet (I've gone from a 9WW to an 8.5W), she recommended I get fit every time all the way down to goal weight just to be sure nothing has changed.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I will be the dissenting voice and say it is hocus pocus. I don't mean that a shoe should not fit properly but the idea of correcting a natural foot movement ie pronation is wrong.

The US military gave recruits motion correcting shoes based on the shoe manufacturer fitting procedure. They randomly assigned anther group shoes. The group properly fitted (again according to the shoe manufacturer procedure) had a higher injury rate. The US Military decided that they would not provide properly fitted shoes to their troops based on this study. The military recommends a neutral (non correcting) shoe that fits properly.

Link to articles about the study: http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/07/07/us-running-shoes-idUSTRE6665PZ20100707 and http://www.army.mil/article/42842/.

I do not subscribe to the website where I could download the study directly.

Me, I run barefoot. The picture is my feet at the finish of last Novembers Philly race.

^^^This

The running industry is all about hocus pocus. Running & runners are a golden goose. Stop and consider why the podiatrist wouldn't tell patients to go barefoot every chance they get instead of selling them orthotics; and why wont $150 running shoes last more than 500 miles; and why do the running manufactures change your favorite shoes every year or two?
    Planned Obsolescence - A manufacturing decision by a company to make consumer products in such a way that they become out-of-date or useless within a known time period.

The running industry has addicted runners by nurturing weak feet. Strong & healthy feet dont need correction. Pronation is a natural motion as it helps to disperse impact. Over pronation is caused by weak arches. Dont use arch supports; strengthen your arches. Go minimalist and you will run correctly.

Running minimalist or barefoot will stop you from heel striking & reduce joint & back pain. Let your feet work as intended. I weigh 235 & wear New Balance Minimus. When I grind these down I will try Merrell Road Gloves. I would go barefoot but I am an early morning runner and cant always see where I stepping in the dark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JWUhW5yRdI
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

What about correcting supination? I can certainly see where it makes more sense to address the root cause of gait issues - like muscle imbalances - but as someone that suffers knee problems it's freaking painful in the meantime. I don't want an issue like supination to get in the way of me increasing my cardiovascular health through running.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I was very happy with my fitting, which I did for the first time in October. The ones I ended up with were, interestingly, the same brand I had been buying off the rack at Kohl's. But they really do feel so much better, AND I was wearing the wrong size.

I don't think anyone has mentioned ... A number of specialty stores will actually take them back - yes, after you've run in them - if they don't work. Ours does. It made me feel less nervous about the process, and less guilty about shelling out the $$ for them.
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options

What about correcting supination? I can certainly see where it makes more sense to address the root cause of gait issues - like muscle imbalances - but as someone that suffers knee problems it's freaking painful in the meantime. I don't want an issue like supination to get in the way of me increasing my cardiovascular health through running.

Correcting supination using a shoe is equally as wrong. My understanding is that pronation is normal and supination is caused by weak leg and foot muscles. The best way to strengthen the foot muscles is by walking and running barefoot. Using correct form will stop supination. Again read the articles those fitted with control shoes for either pronation or supination had more injuries than those who had regular shoes wether they supinated or pronated or not.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Not shoe related but if your calf muscles are tightening up badly it might just be that you havnt warmed your body up enough before running~? 5 minutes of jumping jacks, jogging ect then stretching. I used to get this pain and also shin splints- I found making sure your muscles are all warm and ready to go has helped a lot. Also make sure you do a cool down stretch.
  • lonecorndog
    Options
    I used to go to a place in Boise, Idaho called Shu's Idaho Running. Free, as always, from a trained staff member. They then bring out shoes that are appropriate for you. They put one type on one foot, another shoe on the other, and you go out for a jog! You always see people jogging in unmatched shoes around Shu's. Go a couple dozen yards, back in the shop to try on another shoe. Eventually you find one you love. When I lived in Idaho I was religious about going to that shop because they were great (they would even keep track of what you had bought in the past so you never had to think, even!

One time I got a pair that I ended up hating. After a 10 mile run in them, I took them back a week later. No questions asked, and they refit me. Having someone with knowledge makes all the difference in the world. And FYI, I have no affiliation with Shu's, so this aint an ad for them!! Good luck!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

I agree. For those of us with mechanical problems caused by supination issues running barefoot or in minimal shoes is not an option. The cartilage under my knee cap has been rubbed away and I now have osteoarthritis - all due to overpronation since I could first walk.

Some days I struggled to get out of bed or get off the sofa due to chronic knee pain, not to mention daily doses of strong anti-arthritic drugs. Now, just a year after seeing a podiatrist and using orthotics in all my shoes and running shoes that are right for my feet, I am running up to 5k at a time. My feet are in the right place, so my kneecaps and joints are lined up correctly. And all it cost was £90 for the podiatrist (£60 for two visits and £30 for two sets of orthotics - she adjusted off-the-peg ones to save me money) and £80 for a pair of running shoes. A damn sight cheaper than the prescription drugs I was taking every day.

A year ago I struggled to walk down the street some days, now I can run. Yes, I still get knee pain and I know that the arthritis will never go away, but I'm confident that the damage being caused has been halted or at least slowed down. The outcome from getting proper advice has been nothing short of a miracle for me.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Correcting supination using a shoe is equally as wrong. My understanding is that pronation is normal and supination is caused by weak leg and foot muscles. The best way to strengthen the foot muscles is by walking and running barefoot. Using correct form will stop supination. Again read the articles those fitted with control shoes for either pronation or supination had more injuries than those who had regular shoes wether they supinated or pronated or not.

I've done all the reading. I was totally sold on barefoot running. The head of my running club, also a doctor, is a big proponent of it and I respect his opinions. I really really wanted to be able to do it.
    I have done everything I can, but I cannot run injury free without a corrective shoe. I still believe that minimalist shoes are better for the majority, however, I don't believe that it is a one size fits all thing. I still strongly believe that some people benefit from motion control shoes. I will continue to run, pain and injury free, in motion control shoes.

I also don't understand, I am a barefoot person. As soon as it gets warm enough, I have nothing on my feet or sandal. I constantly walk barefoot or without sneakers. I can't see why my feet would be that weak.

ETA - I've also worked on my form.