Future teacher wanting to lose weight

Options
Hi,

My name is Johanna an I have always been heavy. I've been playing soccer, taking dance lessons, played rugby and have been lifting weights (for competitions) but I am no longer active in any of these sports. I enjoy movement and sport but i constantly find myself struggling to find time. I started the teaching program for upper secondary level (English for second language learners and German for second language learners) autumn -12, and I am literally, spending all my wake time to study for my classes and exams. Before I started to study at the university I was an Aupair for a small boy, and I used to be outdoors with him all day and walked miles with him in the stroller (he would walk a little himself). I really miss taking walks and working out, however, when I do I like doing something till I can't move a limb. No need to mention that is quite time consuming Hahaha.

When I started my weight loss journey I weighed 85 kilos, and I am now carrying 72 kilos around. I would like to weigh between 55 - 60 Kilo because I'm not very tall (163 cm). Unfortunately, I seem to be stuck at 70-73. I weighed 67 at my lowest due to exam stress. I know it's wrong to starve oneself to lose weight, however, I struggle to eat enough which my body seems to think means that it has to put itself into starvation mode.... Ah!

If anyone identifies themself in my weight loss journey or would like to exchange ideas, helpful advice or just feel like talking, you are welcome to add me or contact me :)

Replies

• NSUTeach16
    Options
    Hi Johanna!
    I'm Cody. I completely understand what you are going through. I've always been heavy, but I had always played sports, and now that I'm enrolled in University, I don't seem to have much time for that. I'm a full time student studying early childhood education. I hope that your journey get a bit easier. I know that our bodies sometimes decide to do whatever they want regardless of what we do! Have a great day!
  • VasylP
    VasylP Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi Joanna,

I Understand where you are coming from completely.
    Hi,

My name is Johanna an I have always been heavy. I've been playing soccer, taking dance lessons, played rugby and have been lifting weights (for competitions) but I am no longer active in any of these sports. I enjoy movement and sport but i constantly find myself struggling to find time.

Johanna, until I was 18 I was very active in competitive swimming. Two 90 minute works a day, plus dry land exercises and weights. After I quit because I had to pull up my marks in school, that was something I had to work hard at, my travel up the scale began. After failing out of my first year in University I took a forced year off and went back to swim it was the only discipline I knew in my life and at my last competition I may have weighed my ideal body weight - which is about 82.4 kg. By the time I started back after my dismal first year at University I was at 107.27 kg... With a lot of hard work-outs, back in the pool and dieting I managed to get down to just under 100 kg by my first competition. Then some more dieting but I could never get down to my ideal body weight and I hovered at about 94 kg - well until I returned to University and up my weight went again. Then I once again got serious on the exercise and as I prepared for a journey of a life time that I planned with a friend for nearly three years, to cycle from Vancouver, Canada to Halifax - I slowly dropped my weight again by the day my friend and I departed I was down same weight I was at the end of my first year of 107.27 kg. After 59 days on the road from Vancouver to Montreal - our home town, and didn't continue for a number of personal reasons, I was to about 89 kg... It over the years as I completed two other degrees, and then started working full time my weight kept on going up. I tried dieting, I gave up beer for stints.. and once I started working full time it seemed there was nothing I could do.

It didn't get any better when I lost my job in 1999 - about 600 people got laid off in one day where I worked. I took the package they gave me and moved to Ukraine to work on democracy development issues. That moved me back into my field eventually and then joined a business with someone I had known of for years. It was during this period somewhere in about 2007 that I realized that things were pretty bad and I had to change something in my life.. I went through a detox process and changed my eating habits. It helped a bit while I was still in Ukraine but once I came back to Canada my weight continued to rise... The pinnacle was just before I turned 50 and I decided it is time to change big time or I will never get to benefit from the business projects I was working on.
    When I started my weight loss journey I weighed 85 kilos, and I am now carrying 72 kilos around. I would like to weigh between 55 - 60 Kilo because I'm not very tall (163 cm). Unfortunately, I seem to be stuck at 70-73. I weighed 67 at my lowest due to exam stress. I know it's wrong to starve oneself to lose weight, however, I struggle to eat enough which my body seems to think means that it has to put itself into starvation mode.... Ah!

Less than a week after my 50th birthday I left on an extended business trip to Germany. I changed my lifestyle completely. I started going to the gym regularly, but even more important I eliminated all processed foods from my food intake. The first day I went to the Gym during the last week in October I got on the scale I was up at 136.9 kg - I quickly did the math.. That put me over 300 lbs it scared the heck out of me..

For nearly two months I lived differently I returned to Canada a completely different person.. I didn''t get back into the gym for nearly five weeks but I had changed the most important thing that I had never realized before - my eating habits.

I've been back in the gym for just over a week now. I feel great and now I am on a mission as a friend of mine said. To help others, and share what I have learned. It took me a long time and it also took me a long time to realize that I had to take my life back.
    [/quote]

If anyone identifies themself in my weight loss journey or would like to exchange ideas, helpful advice or just feel like talking, you are welcome to add me or contact me :)
    [/quote]

Good for you for making that decision. It is a difficult one but the right one. Good on you girl!
  • gabo_2790
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, it gives me hope to see that other people have the same problem but doesn't give up! this is a great inspiration! Again THANK YOU!:D