are weekends harder, how do you cope?

Options
I seem to do pretty well during the week but I guess with spare time on my hands I get in trouble and I am going to have to say No to my husband when he wants to go eat fatening foods. I use to make him take pizza downstairs.

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    My water intake definitely suffers on the weekends. In my office building there's a water cooler around every corner, so it's easy to keep hydrated. It's much harder for me at home. I have plenty of water; I just don't drink it.. Not sure why lol. I also don't workout on the weekends, but I hit it pretty hard during the week, so I don't feel too guilty about that. My eating used to be disastrous on the weekends, but I've managed to dial it down since I (re)started this journey. I make sure I stay within my calories and try not to blow it.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I have been losing the same 4lbs for the last month, weekends are to blame...
  • jmdesrochers
    jmdesrochers Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Anthony...ditto! Harder to not have the cocktails with the girls, I mean I don't want to be a homebody and drinking iced tea is kinda lame...still working on it.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I definitely eat more on the weekends. I do great all week and then the weekend comes and i blow it. Ive been working on staying on track on the weekend by working out harder and drinking a ton of water. Its so hard around my house because my husband does not watch what he eats at all. I also weigh in on Wednesdays because its the middle of the week and i have time to recover before i weigh in. I've been able to maintain 1.6 or so pounds loss a week.
  • Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Weekends are so much harder because you feel like you deserve all this rest, and all these terrible foods. But honestly, one day or even two isn't going to undo your progress. It might slow it down a little, but if you're vigilant (sort of) and are willing to incorporate some little changes (push-ups and jumping jacks before your shower, maybe some squats while you're sorting laundry, make several trips up and down the stairs) you can get yourself to burn. I try to get in half an hour on my stationary bike, as well as some crunches and kettlebell swings, as well as a lot of walking and a lot of water. Well, some water. I don't really drink soda, but it seems like on the weekends I just NEED half a can of Diet Coke.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Take pizza downstairs?? You guys eat upstairs??
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Wow...my weekends are much easier. I guess because I stay so busy. I have twin 6 year old boys...so that helps. Through the week I just sit at my desk....and think about food and when I can eat again. During the weekend, I sometimes don't even have time for 3 squares a day. My water intake is less though. I can put some water away while sitting at the desk. I need to get a cup with a lid and straw on it for home too I guess.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Take pizza downstairs?? You guys eat upstairs??

Lol, I assume she means she sent him and his pizza to the basement!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Weekends are tough for me, but for different reasons. I don't drink enough water and I don't eat enough because I'm usually on the go with volunteer stuff or trying to cram in tons of errands and chores. I try to eat a large protein laden breakfast, but I rarely eat lunch.
  • james3302
    Options
    During the week I am hungry every 2-3 hours and eat my 6 meals a day. But on the weekend I eat the same size meals but only eat maybe 3 times. I do not geel hungry so I figure it's a habit thing.

But I do eat out sometimes on the weekends and it's tough to make good decisions with all the good food.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I just continue my workouts. Work out extra if you want to eat higher calorie foods...I mean...I don't deprive myself. If I want a glass of wine, I have one and just make sure to try to stay in my calorie limits. If I don't...work all the more the next day.

Then again, my goal is more for weight maintenance. I don't really advocate avoiding a food all together...at least for me, making a food "forbidden" makes me want it even more. Occasional small indulgence vs overdoing it? It works for me.

When we eat out, for example, I tell myself to only eat half of what is there. Box up the rest and take it home...better than not going over, you now have leftovers for the next day :)
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I prefer the weekend. It gives me more time to plan and cook at home... I'm lucky in that I find cooking relaxing, so it's a double win.

My husband also likes to eat out on the weekends, but I've converted him to enjoying a glass of wine at home instead and indulging in food we make.

I also am more active on weekends and enjoy making that part of my day instead of being stuck at a desk.

I seem to do pretty well during the week but I guess with spare time on my hands I get in trouble and I am going to have to say No to my husband when he wants to go eat fatening foods. I use to make him take pizza downstairs.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I eat back my exercise burned calories on the weekend, it all averages out in the end
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    they are hard! as hard as that one clay... (it's really hard)

I *just* started adding exercise to my weekends.
    That's difficult b/c I like to drink. And I like to stay up late and rink and eat chips.

I've started fiercly logging and, like I said, getting in some exercise on the weekends.

Saying no more chips and cutting back beer and stuff is hard but I want my pants to fit again so....
  • CLN5462
    CLN5462 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Weekends are tough for everyone. Put on the sneakers and go for a long walk. Do some household home improvement, this not only takes your mind off food, but allows you to burn some extra calories in you down time while being highly productive. Cook some meals for the week. I find I lose my appetite when I'm cooking. Again time spent in the kitchen burns calories. Keep focused on your goals. Allow your self some small indulgence, and reward. If you burn more calories than you expected in your planned exercise routines don't save the calories, enjoy a small treat. The satisfaction you'll feel from meeting your weight goals will be far more rewarding than anything that you eat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I still eat within my calorie goal on weekends most of the time...occasionally I go over, but I'm still at an overall deficit when I do. I just tend to get more nutritionally dense foods in during the week as I'm pretty much just sitting in my office and all of my eating is scheduled. On the weekends I'm out and about more...taking kids to park/zoo/aquarium, etc...running errands...doing this and doing that so I tend to not get my usual 5-6 meals per day and I tend to grab a bit while I'm out...usually something kind of junky like a pizza slice or hot dog while I'm doing the weekly Costco run. Generally, my calories are in check, but my macros are whack on the weekends.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I always have problems on the weekends. I think it's because I'm out of my normal routine. I find I'm much more likely to eat out of boredom, and I'm also starting to cook more on weekends (experimenting with my new slow cooker) so I'll tend to "sample" . And I find I'm much more likely to eat out on the weekends if I'm out running around - especially movie popcorn!

I try to make sure I'm drinking enough water, and have healthy low-cal snacks handy. And staying busy helps, as long as I try to cook at home rather eating out.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Yes weekends are tough! Some things I've done to help:

1. Stopped going out to eat so much. I love to cook so I do that instead. It's cheaper and helps me stay within calories. The tough thing is still with friends. They always want to seem to go out to eat/drink. We do it maybe once a month, so I usually just get what I want.

2. Ramp up your workouts. If you work M-F, chances are you probably have more time on the weekends anyway, so you can do longer workouts or do something active during the day with your family. This will give you more of a buffer for calories.

3. I've had the best success when I eat back half of my exercise calories so I'll do this weekly. Monday through Thursday I won't eat any back and Friday-Sunday I'll eat them all back.

It is REALLY hard when other events get thrown in (birthday parties, weddings, etc.) and I still struggle with them, especially if it's an event revolving around cake!! :love:

Take it in baby steps. If your whole weekend kind of goes out the window, tell yourself that this weekend, I will only have ONE cheat day. Then the next weekend maybe you can do just one cheat MEAL. Etc.
  • suzeew
    Options
    Weekends are definitely harder for me! I cope by exercising harder on Friday and Saturday mornings to make up for fun stuff I like to eat/drink at night. Then I take Sunday off of exercising, but try to eat less that day and drink more water also. I try to eat "good" Friday during the day and Saturday during the day and save the good stuff for evening. Right before we go out or have friends over I force myself to down two huge glasses of water - no matter what. I drink extra water on Sundays and Mondays to make up for any extra salt/alcohol intake from Friday and Saturday. I sometimes try to eat less on Mondays too. This seems to help me unless I really blow it bad, but it sounds like it is different for everyone. Good luck!
  • pblevitt
    pblevitt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For me
    Weekdays - commute, office, commute, 2-3hrs free, sleep. Rinse & repeat. Add 2x1 hour gym sessions if lucky.
    Weekends - Gym class, walks, shops, cooking, gardening, car washing - generally more active. A lot easier to 'earn' calories.