My gym workout

Options

Replies

• LiftHuff
    LiftHuff Posts: 131
    Options

Maybe even looking at buying a barbell set, what weight is best to get up to 22.5kg or 30kg?

TBH I would save up until you can get an Olympic style barbell set. Here they are usually 300lb sets, so that's something like a 135kg set. At minimum you really want an olympic bar (20.4 kg standard, I believe) and a pair of plates that same weight, because deadlifts. To some extent, learning proper form is going to require that the bar be the thickness of a true oly bar, so I'd just hold off until I could get one of those.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Maybe even looking at buying a barbell set, what weight is best to get up to 22.5kg or 30kg?

TBH I would save up until you can get an Olympic style barbell set. Here they are usually 300lb sets, so that's something like a 135kg set. At minimum you really want an olympic bar (20.4 kg standard, I believe) and a pair of plates that same weight, because deadlifts. To some extent, learning proper form is going to require that the bar be the thickness of a true oly bar, so I'd just hold off until I could get one of those.

Regardless of what you get- look for it used in the local ads. People buy stuff, don't use it, and then sell it cheap all the time.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    So went to the gym today and the classes didn't appesr to be on so started on the resistance machine and.noticed a lady who was totally toned, fit etc thought she looked scary lol. Turned out to be a lovely lady. When I was up stairs using the dumbbells she came to replace what she had used and got talking to me. She showed me some exercises to do.

Kettlebell swing
    Dead lift
    Bicep curl starting with arms by side so the arm twists using more muscles
    Shoulder press
    Push ups using exercise ball - the only I can do them lol

Sorry for the life of me can't think of the actual names lol

Says anytime I see her I can ask her questions. She did mention freeweights do you have to use barbells though?

Would body pumb/attack/conditioning class be any good to go to?
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Looks like a decent set of exercises, though you probably need to add squats.

My wife loves Body Pump but it's really conditioning and endurance, not strength. Give it a try.
  • debrag12
    Options
    So I now have a barbell but without weights. The old tenant downstairs through it out so I just took it from outside lol. No room in this flat for a bench but this is a start.
  • debrag12
    Options
    Ignore that I actually have the weights :) 2 x 1.25kg, 4 x 1 kg, 4 x 2.25kg.

When you say how much you are lifting do you say just the one side or the total?
  • jimmie65
    Options
    It's a great start. Try looking up deadlifts and front squats on YouTube; you should be able to get an idea on proper form.
    (If you can't get the bar up for front squats, there's also Zercher squats)
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend "The New Rules of Lifting For Woman" by Lou Schuler. Great lifting program and sound nutritional advice. $18 dollars at Barnes and Noble.

Use stronglifts instead of NROLFW.
    I did Stage 1 and it's rather complicated.

I think the ease of Stronglifts will be better for you - it's 5 moves to remember - forever. Whereas NROLFW Stage 1, is 12. And then it changes between stages. Plus Stronglifts is free.

While not suggested, you could start with dumbbells for SL then move up to fixed weight barbells then the oly bar with plates.

I don't think it's complicated but I hear Stronglifts is good too. I still recommend you read the NROLFW if for no other reason than the nutritional info.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Your choice of exercises doesn't make much sense, since you're not hitting all areas. And your weights are very light.

If you want to get a full body workout, consider the StrongLifts program and switch over to free weights. Only 5 exercises, but it works arms, legs, back, chest, core, everything.

I Concur
  • estrange22
    estrange22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Since you have a barbell, I would go for Stronglifts and then pick a class, any class to have fun and get your heart rate up even more. Although you can make your lifting into cardio by having less rest between sets!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    well, pretty much everyone is telling you to do compound lifts.

These exercises are great, but not everyone wants to do them, and i can't do them and the ****ty gym that is so convieniently located on my way home.

Personally, if your goal is to burn fat, i don't think you are very far off the mark. You CAN'T increase body mass in the form of muscle and decrease it in the form of fat. you can only gain or lose bodymass, for the most part.

So heavy, light, what type of lifts isn't all that important, you just need to do some kind of resistance training to attempt to hang onto the muscle you have while you burn fat.

If i were you, i'd just add one or two chest exercises (then your pretty much hitting everything alittle except for shoulders and calves directly) and since your already taking a higher rep approach maybe even consider doing the sets as a circuit to maximize calorie burn.

then take all the energy you have from making the perfect exercise plan and put it into propper nutrition, because if you ask me its like 20% what you do and 80% what you eat
  • debrag12
    Options
    well, pretty much everyone is telling you to do compound lifts.

These exercises are great, but not everyone wants to do them, and i can't do them and the ****ty gym that is so convieniently located on my way home.

Personally, if your goal is to burn fat, i don't think you are very far off the mark. You CAN'T increase body mass in the form of muscle and decrease it in the form of fat. you can only gain or lose bodymass, for the most part.

So heavy, light, what type of lifts isn't all that important, you just need to do some kind of resistance training to attempt to hang onto the muscle you have while you burn fat.

If i were you, i'd just add one or two chest exercises (then your pretty much hitting everything alittle except for shoulders and calves directly) and since your already taking a higher rep approach maybe even consider doing the sets as a circuit to maximize calorie burn.

then take all the energy you have from making the perfect exercise plan and put it into propper nutrition, because if you ask me its like 20% what you do and 80% what you eat

yeah the lady today said the best way is to do a circuit. Currently I'm thinking barbell + upright bike at home and dumbbell+ resistance + cardio at gym. Gym 2-3 times a week, home on off days.
  • debrag12
    Options
    I've looked at stronglift 5x5 workout A I have no way of doing the inverted rows (bench press I can do floor press) and workout b I currently have no way of doing pull-up/chin-up.

Can I do barbell rows instead of inverted rows?

Is SL 5x5:

Workout A - Squat 5x5 | Bench Press 5x5 | Inverted Rows 3x5 | Push-ups 3x5 | Reverse Crunch 3x12
    Workout B - Squat 5x5 | Overhead Press 5x5 | Deadlift 1x5 | Pull-ups/Chin-ups 3x5 | Prone Bridges 3x30se

or this - http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-advanced-strength-muscle-building-training-program/

Is it a continuous thing or a 12 week thing etc?
  • notthatthis
    Options
    I've looked at stronglift 5x5 workout A I have no way of doing the inverted rows (bench press I can do floor press) and workout b I currently have no way of doing pull-up/chin-up.

Is SL 5x5:

Workout A - Squat 5x5 | Bench Press 5x5 | Inverted Rows 3x5 | Push-ups 3x5 | Reverse Crunch 3x12
    Workout B - Squat 5x5 | Overhead Press 5x5 | Deadlift 1x5 | Pull-ups/Chin-ups 3x5 | Prone Bridges 3x30se

or this - http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-advanced-strength-muscle-building-training-program/

I thought you were an idiot and now you have gone out of your way to prove it. trolling wastes about nothing of my time, it must be hard to actually think of nonsense to respond to very lateral thinking. Or you are that stupid, therefore go to Jillian Michaels. feeeck orffff with you unsound rhetoric and I pity DAS FOO who actually thinks you are wanting help/ feck ooooooooooffff deerrrrtbag
  • debrag12
    Options

Is SL 5x5:

I thought you were an idiot and now you have gone out of your way to prove it. trolling wastes about nothing of my time, it must be hard to actually think of nonsense to respond to very lateral thinking. Or you are that stupid, therefore go to Jillian Michaels. feeeck orffff with you unsound rhetoric and I pity DAS FOO who actually thinks you are wanting help/ feck ooooooooooffff deerrrrtbag

Clearly I am that stupid then! I have seen programmes without the chin ups, reverse crunches etc i.e the second link and wondered if I needed to add these or not.

For anyone who actually cares (prob no-one) i have down loaded the SL 5x5 spreadsheet and will be starting when I get back from my trip next week. Thanks again, maybe I won't post in here again.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    You can get quite cheap pull up bars that go in door frames by friction - this would work for both your inverted row and pull up.

I believe with SL you can basically do it until you start to plateau - then drop it back and carry on again if you want.
    I forget whether it was this or SS, but think it recommended that only if plateau three times maybe, that you should mix things up.
  • debrag12
    Options
    You can get quite cheap pull up bars that go in door frames by friction - this would work for both your inverted row and pull up.

I believe with SL you can basically do it until you start to plateau - then drop it back and carry on again if you want.
    I forget whether it was this or SS, but think it recommended that only if plateau three times maybe, that you should mix things up.

Thanks

I have been reading up on that on the spreadsheet. The weights at you progress look scary lol. Don't know if I'll go as high as they suggest (13 lbs) ;) Do I really need go up as far as 150 lbs + I'm only in it for the strength/toning side (another stupid question no doubt)
  • jimmie65
    Options

Clearly I am that stupid then! I have seen programmes without the chin ups, reverse crunches etc i.e the second link and wondered if I needed to add these or not.

For anyone who actually cares (prob no-one) i have down loaded the SL 5x5 spreadsheet and will be starting when I get back from my trip next week. Thanks again, maybe I won't post in here again.

Some people here just need to be ignored. Don't let him scare you off.

You can definitely start without chin-ups.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    For these moves, 150lb really isn't a lot.
    Ok, I'm a reasonably framed bloke, but I've been doing similar for two months and I'm on a 240lb squat. I started on 132lb ,which was a little below what I could do.

This is the only video I could find of someone doing a 150lb squat:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg1V3L9aX2s
    Note, not exactly 'muscular'.

Here's someone trying (and just failing) a 150lb deadlift.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SCgqbjaigw

Oh and did find another- note she's doing a few more than 5!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wxsq7RVe0Q

These moves should burn more calories as well as helping to give the 'tone' you want and a good base fitness and figure.
  • debrag12
    Options
    thanks