Taking in more fiber without a ton of calories

Options
Hello -
I am struggling to take in a high amount of fiber without going too far over on calories. I mean, 2 cups of steamed brocolli is only like 4 grams of fiber, and not many calories - but beans have a higher fiber count, also high in calories. My doctor says I need to take in 30+ grams every day (!!) and I just don't know how to make that work. I already take a chewable fiber supplement. Any food suggestions you may have would be very much appreciated.

Replies

• kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    After a quick glance at your diary for the last couple weeks, it looks like you should be eating more. Eat more and you will get more fiber. Beans, berries, whole grain breads & pastas, apples, avocados...
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Quest bars. Delicious, and more fiber than any food I've ever come across. Plenty of protein to boot.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Gnu Fiber bars, Fiber One bars, VitaTops.
  • kikicooks
    Options
    Oooh yeah, I love Gnu bars and VitaTops!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Edited for bad reading skills. Carry on!
  • bluedevil005
    bluedevil005 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Agreed with @kikicooks--it seems most days you're not even hitting 1000 calories just from food. And then you're exercising on top of that. I'm pretty sure you could afford to throw in some "high calorie" beans. And more vegetables/fruit.

There's also metamucil clear, which is low calorie fiber that dissolves in water--no taste and no flavor.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Looking back thru my own diary, looks like my biggest bang for my fiber buck is my fiber one bars (140 cal and 9 g fiber) and my flax seeds (90 cal and 6 g fiber).

The original All Bran cereal is 80 calories and 10 g fiber (but has some sugar)

But I agree with the above, if you ate more than 1000 calories, it'd be easier to get your 30g of fiber.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Quest bars. Delicious, and more fiber than any food I've ever come across. Plenty of protein to boot.

I agree with Quest bars. They have twice the fiber of a Fiber One/Plus bar, without turning me into a cramped, bloated fart machine.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    calories are extremely low. I would eat more food and I'm sure you can reach your fiber goals much easier. The bars are great but you need FOOD.
  • iamlaprell
    iamlaprell Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Look into Chia Seeds. Also, I agree that fiber supplements like metamucal are a great option, I definitely feel better on days that I do take a fiber supplement. What about adding oatmeal as a breakfast, not bad on calories and great for fiber and very filling.
  • crjohnston12
    crjohnston12 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Thanks for all the tips, I really appreciate it! I will look into the bars. I eat a Fiber One brownie every night for my treat, I eat double fiber bread, quinoa, steel cut oats...but nothing. I definitely can increase my veggie and fruit intake.

It's only this week where I've been taking in a lower amount of calories and I think it's because I actually feel full from only eating a little bit (a phenominon that has never happened to me before, LOL). I'm also freaked out about my protein intake because I read that one should only eat about have of their lean body mass number in protein - otherwise it can turn into sugars and carbs and be really bad for you. I'm not trying to cut out carbs altogether, but most of the food I want to eat is protein based. Perhaps I'm a little "stuck"? Not sure how to get unstuck!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    My weekday breakfast consists of an Orowheat 100%Wheat Double Fiber english muffin (120cal/29C/2F/5P/8Fiber) with cream cheese or another spread. Afternoon snack is 1/2 muffin. That gives me a good head start on my daily fiber with 12gr Fiber and only 180 cals.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are a good source of not only fiber, but protein and omega-3 fatty acids, as well.

Mix about 3 ounces of milk with 3 tablespoons of chia seeds, 1/2 teaspoon sugar (or whatever sweetener you desire) and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and you've got yourself a chia seed pudding. (You need to initially mix it, and then let it sit a few minutes and then stir again. It takes several minutes for the seeds to begin gelling.)

Using non-fat milk and Bob's Red Mill chia seeds, the breakdown is: 266 calories, 22g carbohydrate, 14g fat, 13g protein and 15g fiber.

You can substitute any other liquid (water, juice, almond milk, etc.) for the milk and you can substitute other flavorings (pumpkin pie spice, cocoa powder - use your imagination) to devise your own chia seed pudding.

Edited to correct calorie count.
  • crjohnston12
    crjohnston12 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Mix about 3 ounces of milk with 3 tablespoons of chia seeds, 1/2 teaspoon sugar (or whatever sweetener you desire) and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and you've got yourself a chia seed pudding. (You need to initially mix it, and then let it sit a few minutes and then stir again. It takes several minutes for the seeds to begin gelling.)

Very interesting...I am going to have to give that a try. THANKS!
  • badmojo108
    Options
    Blackberries are my go to when my fiber is low for the day.
  • kikicooks
    Options
    I'm also freaked out about my protein intake because I read that one should only eat about have of their lean body mass number in protein - otherwise it can turn into sugars and carbs and be really bad for you. I'm not trying to cut out carbs altogether, but most of the food I want to eat is protein based. Perhaps I'm a little "stuck"? Not sure how to get unstuck!

Um, where did you read this about protein? I've never heard that, it sounds a little weird. Most people will say to eat MORE protein than MFP recommends. A common recommendation is at least 1 g per pound of lean body mass, especially if you weightlift. I am no doctor or scientist but from all the reading I've done on nutrition, that stuff about too much protein turing into sugars and carbs just seems crazy. I think the only time too much protein is an issue is for people who have an existing kidney problem.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Fiber one cereal. Original, Honey Squares, or Chocolate squares... Low cal and all fiber
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm also freaked out about my protein intake because I read that one should only eat about have of their lean body mass number in protein - otherwise it can turn into sugars and carbs and be really bad for you. I'm not trying to cut out carbs altogether, but most of the food I want to eat is protein based. Perhaps I'm a little "stuck"? Not sure how to get unstuck!

Um, where did you read this about protein? I've never heard that, it sounds a little weird. Most people will say to eat MORE protein than MFP recommends. A common recommendation is at least 1 g per pound of lean body mass, especially if you weightlift. I am no doctor or scientist but from all the reading I've done on nutrition, that stuff about too much protein turing into sugars and carbs just seems crazy. I think the only time too much protein is an issue is for people who have an existing kidney problem.

Agreed. You should, barring any medical problems, be eating more than half of your LBM in protein. Check out this article:http://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/ (lots of research behind it--citations included). .64 to .82 grams per pound of LBM is good and going over is really not a problem at all.

The highest source of fiber I've found, for the lowest calories, is GG Scandinavian Bran Crispbread (Ingredients: Unprocessed wheat bran, rye flour, salt (salt content 0.4%). 12 calories a slice for 5g of fiber. http://www.amazon.com/GG-Scandinavian-Crispbread-3-5-Ounce-Packages/dp/B003G1ZRTY.

I'll occasionally crumble a cracker on a salad. They definitely don't taste awesome by themselves.
  • yummymummy65
    yummymummy65 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

I agree with Quest bars. They have twice the fiber of a Fiber One/Plus bar, without turning me into a cramped, bloated fart machine.

Funny but soooo true!!!
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I like original Fiber One cereal, and mission carb balance whole wheat tortillas, double fiber whole wheat bread. Just some ideas.