How To Add Protein to My Diet - Suggestions?

Options
2»

Replies

• MrsFlotron
    MrsFlotron Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Why hasn't anybody else sais to try eating more meat? You eat some meat so you're not a vegetarian right? Why don't you add some lean steaks to your diet? Some yummy lean grass fed beef. A big hunk of steak has way more protein than any protein powder I've ever ate.
  • hockeywife91
    hockeywife91 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Where do you purchase the Syntrax Matrix and Quest bars?
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    you can buy them at your local GNC or just buy directly from them online for cheaper.
    http://www.questnutrition.com
  • darthjen
    darthjen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just finished making up this list for a friend but I'll re-post here for you. Some may be outside of your mentioned food groups and the amount of protein in the serving may be off between brands:

Some suggestions (my fave foods):

Sardines; canned, boneless, skinless 24g
    Smoked Oysters; canned 14g
    Salmon 20g
    Flounder 21g
    Tuna 27g
    Crab cakes 22g
    Bison 28g
    Turkey 20g

Milk typically adds 5-9g depending on the brand
    Cottage cheese 14g (1/2 cup)
    Egg 6-9g
    Kefir 11g
    Motzerella cheese stick 8g
    greek yogurt!

Peanuts 7g
    Sunflower seeds 7g
    Peanut butter 8g
    PB&J sandwich 12g

Sabra hummus & pretzel packs 4 oz 7g
    Black soybeans 11g
    Back beans 14g

Ezekiel Bread - 7 Sprouted Grain Bread (2 slices) 8g
    Kashi - Go Lean Crisp Chocolate Peanut Bar 9g

Strawberry Spinach Salad w/nuts, strawberries, cranberries 12g
    Ready Pac - Chicken Cranberry Walnut Bistro Salad 7g
  • hockeywife91
    hockeywife91 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    you can buy them at your local GNC or just buy directly from them online for cheaper.
    http://www.questnutrition.com

Thanks! I'm going to have to try them. I get enough protein, but I'm always on the lower end, so it would be great to up it a bit.
  • lawrence_warmachine
    Options
    Had my annual physical today and my Dr. told me that while I am overall in excellent shape, my blood protein level was a little on the low side and I probably need to increase my protein intake. I eat relatively little meat (usually 1 serving of fish or chicken 4 - 5 times/week), lots of mostly low-fat dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt), fruit, vegetables, whole grains, nuts & seeds, etc. So I am wondering the best way to add some protein to my diet without adding a lot of extra empty calories, fat etc. Wondering about adding some protein powder to my yogurt, cereal, salads, etc? Any suggestions on the best way to add protein without adding a lot of unwanted calories, fat, sugar, etc?

Is there a reason why you" eat relatively little meat" as you put it? If it's because you are just unsure of what to eat to add protein to your diet, then I'd look to add more lean meats, fish, or grilled chicken breast to your diet. Protein powder as a supplement is a good suggestion, but if you can get your protein requirements from whole foods, you don't need protein powder.

I make a protein shake right after my workout, but that is only because I don't have time in the morning to make a meal after I workout - I'm literally rushing to get to the office. Also, i find that right after i workout i don't have much of an appetite, so a shake is about all i'm hungry for.

good luck

Well said. I'd like to add. you say you don't want to add unwanted calories, fat, sugar, etc. When yopu say 'unwanted', you gotta face it, you're going to add calories anyway. As for fat - just keep within your daily macro targets. You'll find that the myfitnesspal app tells you to eat a good amount of fat...and lots of carbs.

My suggestion/tip is to:
    find a source of protein:
    egg whites, protein powder, tuna, chicken, turkey. Baked beans. prawns

find a source of carb, protein and fat:
    porridge, muesli, pasta and cheese. peanut butter sarnie. salmon nigiri. jacket spud, cheese n beans. pancakes.

find a source of fat and protein:
    scrambled eggs, nuts, cheese, tuna in oil, sardines in oil, samon. peanut butter. egg yolk.

find a source of carb and fat:
    jacket potato and ghee. fried plantain.

find a source of carb:
    rice, potato, plantain, sweet potato, breads.

find a source of fat:
    ghee, coconut oil, olive oil

find a source of carb and protein:
    rice and beans, sweet potato and tuna, jackt spud and turkey.goji berries. quinoa.

It's long drawn out, but those are some meal ideas where you can mix n match. you can use a tin of beans, half in the am..half in the pm.
    same w' a tin of tuna...i say this cos ur kidneys can have a tough time handling heaps of tuna in one go.
    leave powder as a substitute...try n get it from food instead.
    pineapple is good to eat with protein, as it has bromelain in it to help digest it.

good luck :)

Law'

find a source of carb and protein:
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    Why hasn't anybody else sais to try eating more meat? You eat some meat so you're not a vegetarian right? Why don't you add some lean steaks to your diet? Some yummy lean grass fed beef. A big hunk of steak has way more protein than any protein powder I've ever ate.

Maybe it's just that I am from Texas, but I vote for BEEF ... slap a steak on the grill (yes, I know it's winter ... next lol ... use a George grill if you must) with some veggies. I use supplements occasionally, but opt for REAL MEAT most of the time. A juicy steak? Now, you are talking my language ... Heaven on earth
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    One of my easy protein meals is to Pam a pan (butter flavor), two eggs and a piece of string cheese. Cut up the string cheese, spray the pan, throw in the cheese, let it sit for about 30 seconds, crack the eggs, scramble until done to your liking. I like my cheese a little 'browned' ... yummie. I use a lot of Pam to cut the fat and calories when cooking my meats.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My diet sounds a lot like yours; I don't eat much meat. I also often come up a little short on protein. I have used one egg and two egg whites with vegetables in a scramble. Pretty good, low calorie, and filling. Also just egg whites in a scramble with sliced mushrooms makes a nice snack.
  • AnnieMeredith
    AnnieMeredith Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have these great bars but premium nutrition, they're about 300 calories (they make great meal replacements, but also big snacks, sometimes I'll have half of one for breakfast and half for a snack or something like that). They have 30g of protein which is crazy but are pretty low sugar which is a big concern for me personally
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    greek yogurt and protein shakes
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    *bump* as i need to increase protein
  • BrownEyeAngel
    BrownEyeAngel Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Check out this recipe for homemade protein bars! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/906540-homemade-protein-bars-recipe
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Whatver you decide, I would definitely vote for getting protien, and all nutrients from real food. A couple less common suggestions, Kashi - Go Lean Crunch cereal with skim milk, a surprising 10 grams of protien, and lots of fiber too! Almonds are great too, a little high in calories, but a great source of protien and good fats.
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thansk to all for the continued suggestions. Many of them sound really good. Lots of different thoughts out there and lots of good-sounding options. To the many who mentined Quest bars - I LOVE them and eat them when I'm hiking. But do not usually eat them as a meal at home.
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Maybe it's just that I am from Texas, but I vote for BEEF ... slap a steak on the grill (yes, I know it's winter ... next lol ... use a George grill if you must) with some veggies. I use supplements occasionally, but opt for REAL MEAT most of the time. A juicy steak? Now, you are talking my language ... Heaven on earth

Well maybe it's because I rarely eat steak but I always feel sick and bloated afterward. Unless I eat a very small one or maybe a little grilled sirloin on top of salad.
  • zorreena
    zorreena Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I love nutritional yeast adds protein and can be added to popcorn and used on top of pasta love it! I also love cottage cheese, proteins powder, natural meats, egg whites, tuna ( I buy fresh raw and eat with Braggs soy sauce), salmon, and oysters.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I get my protein from bacon (yum!), protein powder, cheese, greek yoghurt, nut butters/tahini, spinach, nuts.