What am I losing if not fat...?

Options

Replies

• Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    You have to consider that 9 lbs over your entire frame won't necessarily be easy to spot. One of the best ways to track it is to use a tape measure to check your measurements every couple of weeks. My measurements showed a difference before my eyes did.

My measurements are the same.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    If you are such a fatalist thinker, make sure you don't start starving yourself and overexcercising because what makes people give up is that this "dieting" thing is sooo different from how they ate before and they feel completely A. hungered out B. restricted, like their freedom was taken away.

What works for me is trading in 1lb a week for some nice foods at the weekend that I like to eat. So the weight goes slower (but it does!), at the same time it is not like OMG I can't eat this, and that, and I have to completely hungry all the time. Once or twice a week I'll just be like okay, I am making seafood spaghetti and that's it. OK not a gigantic plate but I will make it and eat it and enjoy it.
    What I am trying to say is that you don't need to be completely in "diet mode" to lose weight on the long run. It's not black and white.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    I started this whole thing over 2 weeks ago. I started at 168, and am now at about 160 ( Im 5"2' ).
    Ive been doing 30 day shred and going to the gym ever 2 - 4 days for an hour, biking/walking with my dog.
    Ive been following my TDEE.

How can it say i've lost almost 9lbs, but yet I see no differences on myself in the mirror or really in pictures, or on my measurements?

Unless a person is close to their goal, the first time changes start to show is often not until 20 pounds are lost. Also realize that you are not the best judge of those changes. Try using a measuring tape instead.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Guess I do need to rethink it.
    I mean, I know it's a hard road - but so many people on this site have such quick results.
    Im just the type of person who loves chips & junk food over disappointment, haha.
    How disappointed will you be when you're 30 years old an carrying an extra 50+lb on top of what you are now?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    With an attitude like that, you are destined to fail.
    This should be about health, not the darn number on the scale or just the inches lost.
    It should be about looking after yourself, body and mind, and if you dont care about yourself enough to do it for those reasons, well then.
  • cayadear
    cayadear Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Keep going! Give it time. 2 weeks isn't enough to off-set years of gaining the fat.

Keep going, you'll see results. :) Every single body is different. Slow and steady wins the race, and you'll be more likely to keep the weight off. Good luck.
  • sarahjay1
    sarahjay1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Quote from a Pinterest pin:

"It takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing, 8 weeks for your friends, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world. Give it 12 weeks. Don't quit"
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Quitting should not be an option in your mind. You either succeed or you keep going until you do. I don't care if you do 30DS for 90 days before you see results, don't quit, because then you will surely fail. Don't let your brain stop you from reaching your goals.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Im not usually this negative. I just need to good self pity nap, or something, to get my head straight.
  • albertasis
    albertasis Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Cool :D And I like your dog :D She seems sweet :D
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Girl you and I are buddies and you see I am killing myself and only a pound a week comes off...but I celebrate that pound and tell it I WILL NEVER see you again...(well except during auntie flo week...gosh do I hate her..:angry: ) You are doing so well! I am proud of your loss and how great you are doing..keep going..please don't quit or give up...reach out to me anyday..

Hugs :flowerforyou:
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options

"It takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing, 8 weeks for your friends, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world. Give it 12 weeks. Don't quit"

Not to be difficult, but, I disagree with that quote. I am 155 days in, lost 38 pounds so far. I do not see a difference in my body. Others do, though.

You are your worst critic. At least I am.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Guess I do need to rethink it.
    I mean, I know it's a hard road - but so many people on this site have such quick results.
    Im just the type of person who loves chips & junk food over disappointment, haha.
    How disappointed will you be when you're 30 years old an carrying an extra 50+lb on top of what you are now?

I cannot emphasize how true this is. I did WW for the first time when I was 19, and I was very successful. However, weight loss is hard and weight loss is not linear. I wanted things to go too fast and I got frustrated when the scale didn't show my results. The worst part was around TOM, because the bloating would actually cause a gain. I ended up giving up with only about 20 pounds to go from my goal weight. I gained it all back, plus ten pounds.

One every year or two, I would try again. But I never dealt with my binge eating, the emotional connection I have to food, or the way I felt about myself. I just tried to lose weight fast, and every time I quit and gained it back, plus some extra. The first time I tried to lose weight, I had about 50 pounds to lose. This time, I am 30 years old and I started with about 130 pounds to lose. I cannot begin to tell you how much I wish I could talk to that girl who was 20 pounds from goal, and so frustrated with a bad week that she threw away all her good progress.

Focus on the healthy choices you are making for your body. Celebrate when you can run farther or lift something heavier. Learn how to feed your body for health. Get help with your binge eating so you can have a healthier relationship with food. Learn to be kind to yourself. It's really no fun to go down the rollercoaster road you will find yourself on if you quit.
  • menavy
    Options
    A lot of it can be water weight. Do your pants fit differently? If so you are most liking turning the fat into lean muscle mass. Keep up the good work.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options

Yeah this sounds a bit the type of generalization that seems safe but is not necessarily true. I have a female collegue, rather obese than just overweight, who came to the office and I immediately noticed she was somehow smaller. Turns out she lost about 7 lb in 10 days and she herself doubted if there were any changes - but I saw it!
  • sarahjay1
    sarahjay1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Not to be difficult, but, I disagree with that quote. I am 155 days in, lost 38 pounds so far. I do not see a difference in my body. Others do, though.

You are your worst critic. At least I am.

Maybe replace "notice" with the word "feel". Sometimes mirrors can be our worse nightmare when you do not think you are seeing any changes. But maybe you can feel your body changing...more endurance, ability to finish a full set of an activity that you couldn't before, etc.

Congrats on the 38 pounds, BTW! You should be proud.
  • rochey10
    Options
    water weight girl :) Keep up the hard work. I am just starting my huge weight loss journey and I am about the same size as you. Do you have any motivational information for me.
  • lawrence_warmachine
    Options
    You have to consider that 9 lbs over your entire frame won't necessarily be easy to spot. One of the best ways to track it is to use a tape measure to check your measurements every couple of weeks. My measurements showed a difference before my eyes did.

Yes, the tale of the tape.

Also general progress like "hey, I ran for the bus and wasn't out of breath." Or..."the shopping basket doesn't feel heavy"
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Stick with it! It can be really frustrating to work hard and feel like nothing is changing. I've been at this since the beginning of January, and the weight loss is definitely not linear. I've lost 14 pounds since I started, but I'm still in the same pants and I don't feel like I look any different. Some weeks, the weight falls off, but this week I haven't really lost anything. It's easy to get discouraged when it's such a slow process, but if you keep going, you can only benefit from it. My pants are getting loose, and my body is much stronger than it was when I started. Be patient with yourself, and keep going!
  • stubbynose
    Options
    Don't get so discouraged..9 lbs in 2 weeks is awesome… wether it be water or fat who knows… it all adds up in the final number at the end of your journey!! I lost 30 lbs last summer and no one noticed until I lost 25 lbs..then people would ask did you loose weight? I too am just over 5' and had 50 lbs to loose. Yet other gals my same size who was doing WW with me at the time we could see their loss much sooner than my 25 lb loss. We are all built differently and we all carry the weight differently too….so we will all loose it at different rates. You are wanting fast noticeable results…. relax this notion…. it will come off…you are doing great exercise wise…just control your binge eating and you will get to your end result !! To be successful you first have to get your head wrapped around what you really want…. positive thinking will get you positive results.. negative thinking will get you negative results….. this is where your biggest hurdle will be….. once you wraps your brain around it …it will work out for you. You are doing great…don't expect fast results…. slow and steady wins the race !!! best of luck !!! :)