Can't seem to lose any more weight

Options
Hey Everyone

Think I might need some tips to keep me going. I started off last April at 184lbs. I'm now at around 167lbs. I got to that weight by eating around 1400 calories a day. Then I stalled at 175lbs until I started my thrice weekly military boot camp classes. Thing is I'm eating the same and doing the same amount of exercise. I'm eating healthy and low carb mainly vegetarian food (the only meat I eat is chicken and fish). But I've hit a plateau.

I'm not sure what to do. Should I reduce my calories to around 1200 or should I increase the amount or type of physical activity I'm doing? Hoping to lose at least another stone in the next 6 months or so but I'm still hovering around the same weight.

Look forward to reading your ideas.

Thank you!

Lu :)

Replies

• dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at this plateau?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • dparent01
    dparent01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Actually, believe it or not, you probably need to increase the amount of calories you are eating daily. The body will go into starvation mode when it is getting too few calories. When I worked with a personal trainer I was eating somewhere around 1600-1800 calories per day and would still lost weight. The key is to make sure the calories are good calories and increase your protein. Good luck. You have come this far!!
  • montlucia
    Options
    Thanks. So when you say all calories should be 'good' calories, what exactly do you mean?

And if I were to up my calories, I assume I would have to exercise every day to cover that.

I'm 5ft 4" by the way and have been at a plateau for 2-3 months at least now.
  • mrsroseblack
    mrsroseblack Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and 170 lbs. I ONLY eat 1200 on my rest days. On days I work out (Les Mills Pump from Beachbody or 30 min hard cardio) I always eat between 1600-1700 a day. I found that 1200 on workout days had me stalled. Eat more calories!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    OK, so you actually have the weight to lose and are at a genuine plateau.

Up your calories.

Change your workout routine. Try something new, add in resistance training.

If, after another month you are still plateaued, look into lower carb options. For many, it is sufficient that grains and breads not be the basis of every meal, it isn't always necessary to avoid carbs completely to see results.

Have patience.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/666132-metabolism-reset

You could try a metabolism reset. It might work. I know that's what I'm now trying and I'll be starting my reduced calories soon. :) Weirdly, I lost weight on my maintenance calories.

Monica
  • montlucia
    Options
    Ah complete novice here I'm afraid.

I was thinking of upping calories. I may try what mrsroseblack suggested and eat low on off days and more when I do exercise. I'm scared that if I start eating more that I'll gain weight. What's the difference between BMR and TDEE? Would TDEE include exercise? And what is the most reliable TDEE calculator? If I ate at TDEE and did daily exercise to bring daily calorie intake down, would that be a healthy way to go?

I have been eating approx. 1400 calories a day and the last I checked, my BMR is about 1575 calories.

I've been trying to eat low carb but I tend to eat more carbs because I don't eat a lot of meat and need to get full from something. When you say low carb, would that mean eliminating rice? I do eat rice on a daily basis as well as a couple of pieces of gluten free bread and maybe some starchy food. I don't eat a lot of obvious carbs anyway.

Thanks. You guys are great. I think I am just a little confused about the TDEE thing and I really don't want to gain back after all the hard work. When I started I thought losing weight was as simple as cutting calories.
  • forwesgar13
    forwesgar13 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5 4" . When i hit a plateau I raised my calories . I stupidly didn't know I was suppose to eat my exercise calories back. So I wasn't eating enough. Now I just eat 1600 on workout days . If I skip a exercise day I eat around 1400. At that time I was eating three meals a day . I changed that to eating 5 x's a day. I also at that time was walking / running 3 times a week. I bumped up my exercise to five days . www.nowloss.com is where I found alot of info. Your body has just gotten used to everything people are giving you the right advice , it's time to change it up. When I started lifting weights I stopped loosing again but I've dropped inches like crazy . Start logging your measurements dont worry about the scale to much. If you are eating good and moving you are making changes.
  • jcperkns
    jcperkns Posts: 109
    Options
    Ah complete novice here I'm afraid.

I was thinking of upping calories. I may try what mrsroseblack suggested and eat low on off days and more when I do exercise. I'm scared that if I start eating more that I'll gain weight. What's the difference between BMR and TDEE? Would TDEE include exercise? And what is the most reliable TDEE calculator? If I ate at TDEE and did daily exercise to bring daily calorie intake down, would that be a healthy way to go?

I have been eating approx. 1400 calories a day and the last I checked, my BMR is about 1575 calories.

I've been trying to eat low carb but I tend to eat more carbs because I don't eat a lot of meat and need to get full from something. When you say low carb, would that mean eliminating rice? I do eat rice on a daily basis as well as a couple of pieces of gluten free bread and maybe some starchy food. I don't eat a lot of obvious carbs anyway.

Thanks. You guys are great. I think I am just a little confused about the TDEE thing and I really don't want to gain back after all the hard work. When I started I thought losing weight was as simple as cutting calories.

This seems to be the best calculator that I have found. BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate. It's how many calories your body burns at rest. Basically if you were to lay in bed all day and do nothing it's how many calories you would burn. Your TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It's how many calories you burn daily doing your everyday routine including exercise. Most of the "gurus" on here say to take your TDEE and cut it by 20-30% and that should be how many calories you eat a day to still loose weight. I would say to try and up your calories for a month and see what happens! I did it and it worked for me!
    Here is a good calculator: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Good luck!!
  • montlucia
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! I checked out nowloss.com.

Decided to up my calories to 1500 for now to see where that gets me. I'm going to aim for 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20%fat as recommended by the site. Previously I was monitoring calorie intake online and not the balance of my diet. I'm going to drink more water and try and work harder in my workouts and get a bit more light activity into my week. Will see how that works. Have been using the elliptical machine but maybe my body is used to that. I usually hate treadmills but I think I'll give it a go.

Btw I find it so hard to know whether or not to eat back exercise calories and if so how many to eat. I'm convinced mfp calculate it wrong and in my bootcamp workouts I have no idea how much I burn. I will have to guess I think.

Thanks for your supportive comments. :)
  • earlswimsuit
    Options
    You should change up your exercises (maybe more intensity too) and eat more calories probably
  • AnimePrincess13
    AnimePrincess13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Btw I find it so hard to know whether or not to eat back exercise calories and if so how many to eat. I'm convinced mfp calculate it wrong and in my bootcamp workouts I have no idea how much I burn. I will have to guess I think.

For this I would suggest getting a HRM. I am going to be doing Insanity again and this time it will be easier to put in my calories burned b/c I will have the correct number for me at my weight and my intensity.