Trying to help my sister .. Can you help me?

Options
So here's the deal. My sister has had Diabetes for a really long time. I believe at first she took good care of it and then just stopped. I'm talking like 10+ years stopped, I can't even give you an accurate count. She is very resistant to change and eating anything new or different, so in the past when I've cooked food (not even trying to eat healthier, just cooked vegetables) she would make comments. Forget about trying to talk to her about healthy eating, she would throw the fact I was much heavier in my face, so I stopped even discussing what I was doing with her (not to mention I'm the baby of the family, so apparently what do I know right?). We don't talk a lot because of our differences in that sense.

However, about a week ago she had a health scare (another, but this one worse than others) where she thought she was having a heart attack. An ER visit later finds out that her blood sugar was over 300. This has happened to her before, but she's never felt like she was having a heart attack with it. I think that scared her, and seeing the ER bill as well was a shock to how much it could cost if it happens again.

She reached out to me last night and asked me about how to eat healthy for Diabetes. Shocked the bajeezus out of me! Now, I helped my mom out a little bit with her eating when I lived there and she was diagnosed with Diabetes (she also has cancer so i was helping her eat to feel better during chemo as well), so I know a little bit. My mom was able to go to a nutritionist, my sister CANT. She doesn't have the money at all to do that. I told her to make a copy of our moms papers from the nutritionist (i have a copy as well, even though I'm across the country) and I could help her go through them if she had any questions. She was wondering if there were any sites she could go to in order to help her figure out what to eat. She said the Diabetes.org website was to 'preachy' for her, which I'm not sure what that means, but I wasn't sure if there were any other sites that I could pass along? She's afraid to eat anything at the moment because, in her words, "I'm afraid what I am going to eat is going to kill me." She lived on chocolate milk, m&ms, & cupcakes .. THAT is what was going to kill her. I told her to not think about what she did in the past and to focus on how she could improve her health now and in the future.

Sorry this got so long, but ultimately does anyone know any websites that could help my sister who is basically brand spanking new to eating as a diabetic, or maybe any tips/hints I could pass along? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

Replies