Losing 30lb in a month?

Options
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2277941/What-way-Fast-food-fanatic-spends-4-000-redundancy-money-month-long-boot-camp--sheds-stone.html

"HOW SHE DID IT...

Eating a strict 1000 - 1200 calorie per day diet

Eating three mainly high protein diet and low carb meals per day and two snacks - like half an apple

Three high intensity work out sessions every morning, starting with a power walk or jog to the beach

Six-nine mile hikes every afternoon (great for weight loss while being low impact)

Total of six hours of exercise per day, with plenty of rest in between

No 1 Boot Camp say: 'When clients stay with No 1 Boot Camp for one month, they have a full one and a half days off a week to do what they want: rest, go out, no exercise - some even go out to Nando's (but most stay on the healthy diet).
'Weight loss is high in the first week but can slow down the second week, then picks back up again in the third and final weeks. Our average weight loss is 10lb per week, so most would achieve 32lb in just four weeks.'"

Thoughts?

Replies

• Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    As tempting as things like this are, everything I hear points to slow change being better/more sustainable. Nothing wrong with intense exercise, but it doesn't sound like this program has its participants eating enough!!
  • jojohnson090
    Options
    Not many people have that much time in a day to dedicate to working out. More power to you if you do.
  • gingerygal
    gingerygal Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Sure, it's probably possible, but the loose skin from losing the weight so quickly will be a problem, and unless you're going to gain enough muscle to expand it back out it will be there until you get surgery to remove it.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i lost 30 lbs in 1 month!

how i did it! 1 hour a day on my elliptical. 1400-1800 calories a day. cheat day every saturday. pizza, junk food, whatever i wanted as long as it fit into my day.

i didnt have to do all that crap that person did! i also have diabetes, high blood pressure, and pcos! and those groups claim its hard. umm.. not its not. i did it with no dr help. no drugs. no pills.

it CAN be done!
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    i lost 30 lbs in 1 month!

how i did it! 1 hour a day on my elliptical. 1400-1800 calories a day. cheat day every saturday. pizza, junk food, whatever i wanted as long as it fit into my day.

i didnt have to do all that crap that person did! i also have diabetes, high blood pressure, and pcos! and those groups claim its hard. umm.. not its not. i did it with no dr help. no drugs. no pills.

it CAN be done!

Wow! That's quite an accomplishment. May I ask what your starting weight was?
  • preetsangha
    Options
    First things first. The mail is a tabloid newspaper and as such I don't believe a lot of it's stories are 100% accurate. That aside (as all media has some bias to some degree) I would have thought that in addition to the reported activities and diet there would be some serious professional medical/nutritional/physiological expertise being provided.

When you watch the biggest loser you see people with excellent custom tailored plans getting excellent results of this and a much greater degree. This would lead me to conclude that such a boot camp could work.

I cannot comment on the whether it's healthy for all people to do that within the time frame, but I suspect the and personally optimised plan would work for most people. We all know that it's usually lifestyle choices (in the absence of underlying medical conditions) that make this journey hard and certainly think that if you have the money you could buy just plans it's still going to be a hard slog for anyone.

On general note I wish the recipient of the book camp good luck as I hear that the job situation in the UK (if that's where it is) is extremely tough.
  • earlswimsuit
    Options
    I don't think it'd be maintainable
  • tndejong
    Options
    i started at 265 januray 1st. im down to 230 now.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    i started at 265 januray 1st. im down to 230 now.

That's great. I don't think I'd have much hope of getting results like that, though. At 185 I could probably lose 2 lbs per week.
  • tndejong
    Options
    i think it really does depend on where you start. i slowed down cause i added weights to my routine. and i started to do an hour of cardio 3 times a week instead of everyday. it depends the time and motivation you have. but 30 is not impossible. and the real trick to keep it off too.
  • kbsd456
    kbsd456 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My thoughts: its extremely UNHEALTHY and dangerous.

For me, it would be IMPOSSIBLE to lose 30lb in a month

30lb in a month= 3500 calorie deficit A DAY, my TDEE (total daily energy expediture) is 2,000 a day, so even if I ate nothing at all I still wouldn't lose a pound a day.

The reason why this is UNHEALTHY is because this person is eating 1200 calories a day, and burning probably 500-700 in exercise a day, this leaves your body with 700-500 calories a day, which is below ANYONE'S BMR (basic metabolic rate). This will damage your body and your metabolism and you will probably gain all the weight back.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Thoughts?

Crash diet with over the top training regimen. Would not recommend. Not sustainable. No good diet or fitness habits were started or learned. It's a safe bet she will be just as fat as she started out within the next year.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I slowed down my rate of loss to have forced plateaus because I was worried about loose skin. You can lose a lot fast but it's not maintainable model and has the risk of being a yo-yo diet once you stop the extreme situation that caused that loss. So nice and easy works well for most people and I think the end result tend to be better than losing that fast.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Thoughts?

Crash diet with over the top training regimen. Would not recommend. Not sustainable. No good diet or fitness habits were started or learned. It's a safe bet she will be just as fat as she started out within the next year.

YessirDthisgifwasgolden_483d2e3ead21878f296690ac04d468c4_zps4c7ddef1.jpg
  • aliemmar
    Options
    Possible but not healthy !! a healthy goal should be around 10 lbs/month ....
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    28449046.jpg
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Thoughts?

^ So true. If she is still slim in five years time I'll eat my hat.
  • Joanneea
    Options
    Sticking to the calorie is also a key. In a controlled environment and with the intense desire to reach a much wanted outcome, it would be very acheivable. How many stick strictly (truthfully) to it at least 6 days a week? I have noticed variations in calorie counts of foods as well unless the food is strictly measured and weighed, there could be more than 50 calories or more over what a diary says.

Where there have been studies and people have not lost or have put on weight it has been shown that it isn't usually true, that they have stuck to a certain calorie intake
  • grward612
    grward612 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Janie_May
    Janie_May Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The success of this approach needs to be measured 1 year later (and beyond).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!