how did you get rid of diet soda?

Options

Replies

• LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Try a sparkling flavored water such as ICE and slowly add more water into your day. I was a HUGE soda drinker as well. I started by eliminating one a day and replacing it with water.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Drop a penny in a glass of cola and see what happens.

If that don't make you quit.........
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is more unhealthy then regular soda. It is also more addictive, because sweetener is 100x sweeter then sugar. Quit diet soda but have regular soda 1-2 x per week as a treat, if you must. Life is about balance. I would not want to live knowing that I can never drink a soda, eat ice cream or eat chocolate cake. Eat it is ok, but overeating is not good. Sometimes you do have to go cold turkey if will power is week to stop at whatever amount you have set to be the right amount for you. Good luck!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Don't have it in the house.

This. I quit buying it and the problem solved itself. I used to drink over 2000 calories of Mountain Dew a day. Stopping was miserable for about 2 weeks, then it got better. Start drinking water constantly. Have a bottle with you all the time.
  • dqgirl1
    dqgirl1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    diet is HORRIBLE for your body so if you drink soda drink regular...and I bet once you have to log all the calories for regular your might cut back or quit.lol......
    WEll, I still love me some fizzies......so I drink seltzer with either a little juice or half of a natural flavor packet in it to boost the taste of regular old seltzer.( I mix the packet with a tablespoon or 2 of warm water to dissolve it before I dump it in my bottle:).....I use the flavor packets that use stevia and not aspertame or phenaly....yeah, cant spell that one;)
    I also like the true lime and true lemon packets
  • Lakerlady5747
    Lakerlady5747 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking soda cold turkey the day after I got back from my honeymoon. I was to a point that soda was all I was drinking, and I realized that it wasn't good for me. So, one day I just quit. it was hard at first, but now I don't miss it at all. I actually have more energy now that I don't rely on soda to get me through my day. Plus, I remind myself of how much money I'm saving by not drinking soda all the time. That stuff is crazy expensive!
  • cr8334
    cr8334 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I was once a soda addict, I'd drink it all the time. When I finally committed to a healthier lifestyle and way of eating, I quit drinking soda cold turkey. I just finally realized how awful it was for my body, sure it tasted great but it was doing horrible things to me internally and preventing me from losing weight. I no longer want to drink a concoction of chemicals! That method doesn't work for everyone, but it's been going fairly well for me! If that doesn't work for you, I'd try weaning yourself off of it - limit your intake to two or three soda's a week, then one a week, once every two weeks, if you can do this then switch over to sparkling water and eventually work your way out of it.
    Best of luck :)
  • MallorieGreiner
    MallorieGreiner Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey. Haven't had any soda since last November. My husband, who would drink it upon waking and all day long, has reduced it to a few cans a day. He cuts back by the can when he feels ready. It's hard sometimes, especially at the movies or restaurant.

All I drink now is water, one coffee w creamer a day, & hot tea. I'll have club soda at the restaurant if I'm feeling frisky. lol

Now if I could just give up the beer.

Same. Cold turkey, never look back. I actually had a pop a couple of months ago and it was way too sweet for me to drink even half of it. Water and green tea is all I drink now. Mio and hot apple cider occasionally if I need to switch it up. =)
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    soda is my life.
    This is just sad.

Drink water instead of diet soda.
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    POWERADE ZERO

Many different flavors to choose from as well.
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I think how you quit diet soda depends on why you want to quit diet soda. I think most people either object to the artificial sweetener, or they object to the caffeine. In my case, I've quit more than once, and first because I wanted to get rid of caffeine, next time because I didn't want the sweetener. Currently, I think moderate caffeine is OK, but the sweetener, isn't, so I took up drinking black coffee, two cups per day. My first cup tasted bad to me, so I had to kind of struggle through it, but I quickly started liking it. Since I took up coffee, I find I'm also drinking MUCH more water than I did previously, so that's good, too. I haven't tried all the sources of coffee out there yet, but so far, I think McDonald's regular, normal-type coffee is both good and fairly cheap.

On the other hand, if it's the caffeine you want to drop, you could try caffeine-free diet sodas. I've never used them, but I'm sure lots of people do.

Finally, if it's both the caffeine AND the sweetener ... well, water's a good deal. (That's how I quit when I thought caffeine was a bad thing for me.) For the first day or two, you might experience caffeine-withdrawal headaches and a sort of fuzzy. out-of-focus feeling, but that passes quickly, and the headache's why they make acetaminophen.

Best of luck to you!
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I gave it up for Lent.
  • mrsappleblossom77
    mrsappleblossom77 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 7 cans of regular Coke a day. I gradually weaned myself down to 5 then 3 now I am down to one first thing in the morning. (I don't like coffee so it's my caffeine fix) The calories were killing me! At first I rotated from drinking a can of coke then a glass of sweet tea (which is same calories as a coke!) then I found Fruit2o, fruit flavored bottled water. It's clear like water, but tastes like a fruit drink. My goal is to eventually wean myself to plain water. Walmart also has liter bottles of sparking flavored water. The lemon one tastes like Diet Sprite to me. I have one glass of that sometimes if I need a fizzy fix.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I left it at the store.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I gave it up for Lent too!
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    For me, it was more about the process than the soda itself. I love the feeling of opening soda and having a can to drink out of. So I switched to seltzer water. I like Blue Sky lime in particular - I drink 3-4 a day, instead of soda.
  • kathleen0211
    kathleen0211 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of kicking the habit. Sparkling water is helping a ton.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Cold Turkey baby! If you don't have it in the house...you can't drink it. I only drink water and a 1/4 soymilk (in my coffee). Get rid of all the carbonated junk. Only makes you want something sweet.
  • edmarymom
    edmarymom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just stop buying it! Give yourself about 30 days and you won't even miss it. It's junk and not good for you. Doesn't mean I don't have one a couple of times a year, but I rarely even finish it. You'll save money and improve your health. You can do it. look at all of us that have. And I quit about 4 years ago, after drininkg about a 12 pack of Diet Coke a day for several years. I've even learned to like milk!:love: