Aftermath of a Sugar Binge. What do I do now?

Options
I've been doing fairly well keeping to my calorie allowance, which is very low (1200 per day). It's not easy. Some days I go a little bit over. I almost never stay very far under - but it's enough to keep things moving in the direction of weight loss, for the most part, over time. I've been losing slowly with minor ups and downs.

But sometimes, I have a night like last night. It's almost always a night, when it happens - almost never a morning, rarely an afternoon. Last night I had an epic sugar binge. It was at a dinner with my boyfriend's family, and we were offered an entire tableful of traditional Portuguese desserts.

There was also fruit. I could have chosen fruit! I should have chosen fruit!

But instead I decided to try a small piece of bolo de leite (a milky cake with cinnamon), a small serving of chocolate mousse, a small serving of arroz doce (rice pudding), and a small serving of a custardy confection with sweetened crumble topping, the name of which I do not know. And then I had a SECOND small serving of the cake and the custard.

It all tasted SO GOOD... And I almost never get sweets anymore, because who can afford sweets on a daily allowance of just 1200 calories? One tablespoonful of chocolate mousse is probably 1/4 or 1/3 of my "budget." And yet, last night, once I had a taste, I felt like I could not stop. I felt ravenous for the delicious sweet stuff. I felt like I imagine it might feel to be an addict, suffering a relapse.

Afterward I felt stuffed and regretful and guilty and ashamed. And disgusting. I still feel that way this morning.

I find myself worrying that this will throw everything off track, that I'll suddenly gain back some of the pounds that I've lost so slowly. I find myself wanting to wear oversized clothing today to hide the "damage" that I did last night, to hide the shame. I find myself compelled to seek out extra exercise today in the hope that I can "get rid" of what happened - even though I know I can't work out enough in a day to compensate for hundreds and hundreds of extra calories.

(I can't track these calories, anyway - I have no idea how to measure the sizes of my servings, or the caloric content of the desserts.)

Can you help?

I'd love to hear that a binge like last night's is not, in fact, going to throw me off track. I'd love to learn that it may not even register, the next time I step on the scale. I'd love to be able to feel like it's OK if this happens now and then...

I'd love to get to a place where it doesn't happen anymore, at all.

Can you help?

Replies

• chelseachelsea1991
    Options
    Its not the end of the world. You had some dessert-so what? The only way it will hurt you is you let get the mentality of "Oh well, might as well eat what I want since the day/week/whatever is ruined". You're already eating very low calories so going a over one night will not make you gain weight.

On another note, I don't believe food should cause such intense guilt. Food is many things-don't let an over restrictive diet rule your life. Who wants to go to a holiday party and eat carrot sticks? Moderation is key. You will get stronger and next time, you will maybe just choose the fruit and one small dessert and be able to stop. I find that cutting things out entirely makes a diet feel like torture. Its done now so just let it go, exercise, eat right, and enjoy how well you're treating your body. :)
  • BadAzzBea
    Options
    IMHO I say increase your calories, Eat no less than ur BMR and under ur TDEE.

Discipline is a huge factor. There really are no excuses. Having a serving is seriously not a big deal.

If I allowed myself, I think id eat cake all day, everyday for the rest of my life. lol ...

I need coffee
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Input them as 1,000 calories for the lot.

Drink lots of water to flush out the toxins.

Tell yourself you enjoyed them so much that you need not eat them again for a year.

Don't eat them again for a year.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Been there and have done exactly what you did!!! I am at my goal weight with 1200 cal/day to stay at goal, I know what you mean about not eating much. I have binged, gained 3 lbs overnight and been depressed. I feel like crap the next day but... GET BACK ON TRACK!!! Put your food for day in MFP, exercise even if you feel terrible. It will take 2-3 days to get back to pre-binge weight and feeling. I have done this "binge thing" a few times - I don't like it and feel guilty every time. I have stopped myself a few times but... I realize that this might be my life!!!

You are not alone in actions or feelings.
  • valen62
    Options
    I had a birthday the other day and went absolutely nuts eating my cake. I even microwaved some pieces to have it warm!!! Afterwards I started thinking ... Since I messed up soon bad maybe I Should just QUIT the program I am on!!!!!! I felt a little lost. Went to bed and got up and started journaling like that never happened. It's over. It's behind me and I will continue on. I suggest the same thing for you! Hard I know....
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    If you weren't eating such a huge deficit you probably wouldn't lose control of yourself. Go calculate your BMR and TDEE and eat over your BMR and below your TDEE.

The answer to your question is to just get back on the horse.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options

Tell yourself you enjoyed them so much that you need not eat them again for a year.

Just curious, what toxins are being flushed out?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you weren't eating such a huge deficit you probably wouldn't lose control of yourself. Go calculate your BMR and TDEE and eat over your BMR and below your TDEE.

The answer to your question is to just get back on the horse.

Do this. With an appropriate calorie goal you can work in a moderate amount of sweets and not feel the need to binge when you finally let yourself have a treat.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Toxins? Like what?

I'm pretty sure trying not to eat dessert for a year is a recipe for binging.
  • erik9686
    Options
    Yes, I totally understand your state of being. Plan and live your day with a goal in mind.

Remain pre-occupied with the will to push and see some gainful results.
    Never give up- you know you can do it !
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You haven't failed until you give up. It was a bad eating day. (I have them often.) But if you notice, calorie "overloads" do not carry over on mfp. It's a new day. Eat lots of veggies today. Go for a walk. Let it go. And keep on going. You can do it!
  • AloyMomNwife
    AloyMomNwife Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Wow! I could go for a piece or two of that cinnamon cake right now... with a warm cup of coffee... YUM!! Don't worry, you don't have to get off the wagon or feel you fell off for one night of sugar binging. This is a lifestyle change and you can't live a life of no sweets ever or 1200 calories/day every single day forever. It's just not real!
    What happened last night is in the past already. Because you ate a gazillion calories in one sitting doesn't mean you have to or are going to do it every day. Allow yourself some space to enjoy the guilty pleasures and don't beat yourself over it. Today you just stick to your 1200 calories and tomorrow and the day after too.
    When I started this weight loss journey I decided I was not going to deprive myself of anything. I was determined to learn to eat everything with moderation. I have lost 34 lbs. It didn't happen in 2 months (it took me 1 year and I still have another 30 to go) but I've been able to keep them off. And I think part of the secret has been not depriving myself of anything and not feeling guilty when I eat something naughty. When you deprive yourself then you binge when you get the chance.
    Work out and extra 20 min if you can and be very good watching your calories the next few days and your body will totally forget what happened last night. Trust me, we didn't get fat because we ate a feast one night... it was many nights for many years. Don't stress about it!! :wink: Good luck!!
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Let go of your "fear". It will consume you and throw you off if you don't.

Remember that your new eating plan is a lifestyle (foodstyle) change - not a diet. As a lifestyle, there will be times when you are offered delicacies to taste. Wouldn't it be a waste of a life to refuse treats like that every once in a while? That would be far worse than losing a diet day. I'm on a low-carb diet, and I certainly would have tasted delicacies I hadn't tasted before.

It's an eating lifestyle - not a diet. Say that to yourself at least 20 times today. Forgive yourself (or better yet- recognize that there is nothing to forgive) - understand that you made a choice, but you have the rest of your life ahead of you, so it was only a dimple on the surface of infinity.

Walk onward in the direction of your goals. Fear not. It's just ahead of you even if you make a few side trips.
  • StonesUnturned
    StonesUnturned Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You have to live your life. You had dinner out with family and ate a little more than you intended. In 30 or 40 years, you are not going to be sitting around thinking "I really should not have eaten that chocolate mousse." Some of us put a lot of moral weight on food but we really shouldn't. It's just food. You are not a bad person for eating it, whatever nutrient value it does or does not contain. All kinds of people eat sugary foods every day and are fine. You will be fine.
    Personal anecdote: I've had a bag of chocolate almonds in my hands and though about weighing out a serving, but instead took the bag telling myself I would just eat ten. Big mistake. I had a couple extra. And a couple more. And then I was just grabbing handfuls out of the bag, all the while telling myself I really needed to put the bag back. And then there were only three chocolate almonds left in it, well, you know, at that point you might as well finish it off. I can't say it was my finest hour, but I recognized that it was a choice I had made for that time and I had 6.8 other great days that week. I ended up maintaining weight that week.
    Don't worry about the past and recognize that this happens to all kinds of us and as long as you stay focused on the big picture, you haven't done anything you need to feel guilty about.
  • CherishQuick
    Options
    I've been doing fairly well keeping to my calorie allowance, which is very low (1200 per day). It's not easy. Some days I go a little bit over. I almost never stay very far under - but it's enough to keep things moving in the direction of weight loss, for the most part, over time. I've been losing slowly with minor ups and downs.

But sometimes, I have a night like last night. It's almost always a night, when it happens - almost never a morning, rarely an afternoon. Last night I had an epic sugar binge. It was at a dinner with my boyfriend's family, and we were offered an entire tableful of traditional Portuguese desserts.

There was also fruit. I could have chosen fruit! I should have chosen fruit!

But instead I decided to try a small piece of bolo de leite (a milky cake with cinnamon), a small serving of chocolate mousse, a small serving of arroz doce (rice pudding), and a small serving of a custardy confection with sweetened crumble topping, the name of which I do not know. And then I had a SECOND small serving of the cake and the custard.

It all tasted SO GOOD... And I almost never get sweets anymore, because who can afford sweets on a daily allowance of just 1200 calories? One tablespoonful of chocolate mousse is probably 1/4 or 1/3 of my "budget." And yet, last night, once I had a taste, I felt like I could not stop. I felt ravenous for the delicious sweet stuff. I felt like I imagine it might feel to be an addict, suffering a relapse.

Afterward I felt stuffed and regretful and guilty and ashamed. And disgusting. I still feel that way this morning.

I find myself worrying that this will throw everything off track, that I'll suddenly gain back some of the pounds that I've lost so slowly. I find myself wanting to wear oversized clothing today to hide the "damage" that I did last night, to hide the shame. I find myself compelled to seek out extra exercise today in the hope that I can "get rid" of what happened - even though I know I can't work out enough in a day to compensate for hundreds and hundreds of extra calories.

(I can't track these calories, anyway - I have no idea how to measure the sizes of my servings, or the caloric content of the desserts.)

Can you help?

I'd love to hear that a binge like last night's is not, in fact, going to throw me off track. I'd love to learn that it may not even register, the next time I step on the scale. I'd love to be able to feel like it's OK if this happens now and then...

I'd love to get to a place where it doesn't happen anymore, at all.

Can you help?
    Ok questions for you because your night sounded like a good party (I'm jealous).
    1. Besides the food guilt, did you have a good time?
    2. Did you and your man have some goodtimes later that night?
    If the answer is YES to both or either of these, then move past last night and plan for a couple's work out or walk today. I would take my own advice if I was a couple. So go have fun today!!!
  • Gettinyoung
    Options
    Just say OOOPs! Then get over it. It happens, its not the end of everything. Food should not be the enemy. You'll never succeed if you let the set-backs take over. That was my problem. I let my failings snowball into quitting. That is a problem. So today I decided to "get over it" and begin again. But I promised myself I will not let my stress level get out of control again - because that is the real killer. I have to love me, including my "dumb moves" because hating myself has made me fat. Don't continue to say NO all the time, just say, "not today" - then once in a while say "okay, today", knowing that tomorrow is another day and add a few more jumping jacks! Good luck, forgive yourself and just savor the delectible memory!
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Damn, that must be a mighty delicious chocolate mousse if it contains 300-400 calories in one tablespoon.

You are in charge of whether or not Dessertgate 2013 derails you. Keep a realistic perspective- you ate some sweets. Regret, guilt and shame should be saved for when you run over your neighbour's cat.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    What to do? Forgive yourself and move on. And maybe allow yourself a small treat once in a while so you don't feel the need to overeat when you get one
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    This is what I have done in this situation:

Drink a lot of water today.

Don't eat or drink anything sweet today.

Extra work-out today - even if it is just an extra 15 minute walk.

Eat really healthy, filling foods today (veggie soup - greens - big salad).

Forget about last night - it was just one night with dessert. Not a big deal.
  • Superchas
    Superchas Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Get back on the horse

The only way to accommodate this is to do more exercise.
    if you want it have to walk, jog or run for it.
    You can have about 500g of low cal chocolate mousse for 400 cals.
    You can have 65g of pure chocolate for 400 cals
    How far do you have to walk to earn 400 cals at 3mph?
    How far do you have to run to earn 400 cals at 6mph?