How do you resist all the temptations?!

Options
Well, I've been back on here for about a week and a half or so and I've been dead-on committed... but I'm finding myself craving fast food! Trying to find some motivational tips to get over the cravings and temptations!

Replies

• savvygurl101
    savvygurl101 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you are craving things like burgers and fries you can make your own healthier versions at home. I always give myself one cheat day a week so I dont go crazy with food cravings. On that day I allow myself one bad meal, but dont go too overboard. And if you want fast food go to the better fast food places, in comparison to other fast food places, like Wendy's or Chickfila.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I certainly do not eat "clean" but have improved my diet immensley. I used to crave fast food all the time junk. Now, (I think it is because my body finally has some nourishment) I dont want those things. I remember how bad I felt. Its enjoyable to taste, then the bloat and sugar/carb crash, I would rather eat something that does not make me sick. Good luck!
  • CSassWJE
    Options
    If you are accurately recording the food you eat and your exercise here at Myfitnesspal, you only need to see how many calories are in some of the foods and the quantity of exercise it takes to burn those calories, and you will have motivation to avoid those foods that temp you. Think of it this way; I just (fill in your exercise activity here) for (fill in the quantity of time you exercised). Do I really want to waste all that exercise by eating (fill in the tempting food item here)?
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I agree with making healthier versions at home of what you are craving. Otherwise, keep trigger foods out of your house or at least out of your sight and get busy with projects that keep your hands and mind busy.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I do a week or so of low carb (no grains or fruit, but not actually counting carbs). This retrains my system so that the cravings are gone, or at least manageable. After that I add back in one or two whole grains and fruit, mostly prepare my own food from scratch, and allow the occasional indulgence in sweets or something fried. By occasional, I really mean that I limit these to days that I am already out of my routine, preferably with something more active than usual. And I still try to stay within my calories for that day.

We still have lean turkey burgers at home, served on whole grain sandwich thins with roasted veggies; whole wheat pizza, loaded with veggies; stir fries that use cabbage or spaghetti squash as fillers instead of rice or noodles...
  • themutineer
    themutineer Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I strongly believe in being mindful of what you eat.

At least in my experience, learning about where my food is coming from, how and where it is being manufactured or prepared, and understanding its basic nutritional value helps me to justify whether it is truly something I want to eat.

Is my meal going to be nourishing and nutritional, or is it going to bring up feelings of guilt and regret? Am I eating to cope with any emotions I am feeling, whether they be positive or negative - or am I eating to fuel my body? Am I honoring my hunger and eating intuitively, or not?

I know that to many, this internal dialogue sounds insane - and it may not be helpful to many - but slowing down long enough to ask myself these questions has helped me out a lot in CHOOSING healthy foods over unhealthy foods.

I am choosing, not forcing myself to do so - which makes it so much easier to do.
  • Zelinna
    Zelinna Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    If you are accurately recording the food you eat and your exercise here at Myfitnesspal, you only need to see how many calories are in some of the foods and the quantity of exercise it takes to burn those calories, and you will have motivation to avoid those foods that temp you. Think of it this way; I just (fill in your exercise activity here) for (fill in the quantity of time you exercised). Do I really want to waste all that exercise by eating (fill in the tempting food item here)?

This.

When I started, I worked out in the mornings and the fact that some foods would completely negate my workout was enough to make me able to resist temptation.
  • sabimausl85
    sabimausl85 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    sometimes is give in, sometimes i stay strong. but if i try to stay strong, i imagine myself being all skinny, beautiful and sexy, drink a glass of water, and distract myself. this helps :)
  • _TEMPEST_
    Options
    Check out this website that talks about cravings. I have found that it helps me a LOT to identify what my body is trying to tell me and what it wants and needs. I went through a phase where all I wanted was to drink ketchup with a straw! Gross, right?
    Hope this helps!

http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/01/30/cravings-what-do-they-mean-and-when-should-you-listen/
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    1. Stock the fridge. Spend your food money and then cook what you bought.

2. Bring something you cooked with you to eat on the go if you won't be home before you're likely to get hungry.

3. Crock pot for when you'll be out all day and want something to come home to.

4. Repeat after me: Fast food is gross. How many people have touched my food with their dirty hands before it reached me? Maybe it even got dropped on the floor. At least if I drop my food when I'm cooking it at home I'm likely to toss it or wash it off. Ever worked fast food? I have. Do you know how rushed everything is? Do you know how hard it is not to get your sweat droplets on the food when you don't even have time to breathe, much less wipe your face, wash your hands properly, and get back to your station? Trust me, it's nasty. Even when employees try their best, it's much nastier than when you cook at home. Let's not even discuss people coming to work snotty, sneezing, and sick because they can't take a day off and don't have insurance for a doctor anyway.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Or...have some fast food. Virtually all the fast food restaurants post their nutrition info online--I know I don't have trouble putting together meals that fit within my goals for the day. I don't do it all the time, but hey, even if I did I would still lose weight as long as I didn't go over my day's calories.

The strategy that works best for me is to look up the info online, figure out the best combination of items that will scratch my fast food itch and fit still within my goals, then WRITE IT DOWN. It really helps me not give in to something that looks yummy on the posters when I get there if I have a plan before I get there. Then, I enjoy the meal, log it, and move on.
  • lawrence_warmachine
    Options
    track your macros and make sure you're getting in good fats.
    Go to an organic shop and get:
    agave syrup, honey, xylitol, organic ketchup. Goji berries.
    that way, you have 'sweet stuff' .
    Then look for sugar free, salt-free peanut butter. Also the chocolate spread. it'll be high % cocoa. Hopefully no sugar added.
    I'm trying not to add sugar and salt here. Another thing to get is popping corn (lovely when done with coconut oil).

With the above, you have a sweet tooth covered.

As for fatty foods...if you have coconut oil and fry plantains and keep them in a lunch box, it's a heeeeavenly treat.

nuts are a good snack, but they're calorific and moreish. you have to carry only the amount you're allowed.

fast food tempts you. you need to look at the routes you travel n the times and how you come up vulnerable. make sure u have easy prep food at home...but also at work...in your bag...in your coat.
    the main culprits are a craving for salty-fatty foods. sprinkle your nuts with a tiny bit of pink salt. Also often thirst is mistaken for hunger. a nice drink to quench is coconut water (tropical sun...no added stuff).

I recommend:
    wholegrain organic pasta (sainsbury)
    Organic strong cheddar (sains')
    organic onions
    tomatoes
    garlic.
    always keep all the spices at home..inc black pepper, turmeric, fenugreek, oregano, cayene, chilli.
    coconut oil.
    apple cider vinegar.
    Trust me...you make a pasta n cheese w' this and you'll never want fast food! :)

good luck.

hope this helps!

:)

Law'
  • lawrence_warmachine
    Options
    I agree with making healthier versions at home of what you are craving. Otherwise, keep trigger foods out of your house or at least out of your sight and get busy with projects that keep your hands and mind busy.

I agree totally.
    Throw them trigger/junk foods away...now. Don't hesitate and rationalize (the price). It's that sugar, salt and processed carbs and nasty fats! as long as people avoid Iceland Frozen 'Foods', they're ok.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Make sure you never feel "deprived" or hungry. Schedule and plan snacks and drink lots of water - two cups at a time - that will help you feel full and satisfied between meals.

Eat more protein because that is more filling than junk food. Fill up on things like lentil salads or sliced apples with cinnamon or baby carrots and yogurt.

Find healthier snacks and meals that you enjoy.

I recently discovered that I enjoy flavored teas and that gives me a lot of taste without calories and caffeine.

After a while you won't crave the junk food as much ... maybe not at all. But once you have the cravings under control, it should be okay to indulge in them from time to time as a treat.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem is going too long without eating.If I do that, sure enough I want the most god awful crappy crap food imaginable. If I nibble all day, I don't crave.

But also, I don't deprive myself. I used to love Wendy's triple hamburger with cheese. You know how many calories are IN that bad boy? 1,060

Will I eat it? Sure, if it's nearly the only thing I eat all day. Well, spending over a thousand calories on some artery clogging hamburger really isn't worth it (most days). So, that's when the bartering game begins. I can have a single burger for 580 (sorry, taking off the bun/cheese just doesn't cut it. I want the whole damn mess) and I can have apple slices on the side with a diet coke (Total: 620 calories) Or, if it's really the fries I want, I can get a small order of fries and a grilled chicken go wrap for 590 calories.

Now, why don't I eat out like that often anymore? Because I can have much more filling (and fulfilling) meals at home. Instead, on a rare occasion...I give myself a cheat day. I have one really, nasty, disgusting dinner. Whatever I want, within reason. I still exercise that day, and the next day...it's all business again. But what stops me from doing that more often, is keeping myself full and getting plenty of protein (more than what MFP recommends).
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options

I am choosing, not forcing myself to do so - which makes it so much easier to do.

That is the key to it.

Don't say "I can't have...."
    Say "I don't want..."
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    eat the fast food. fit it into your daily nutrition
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am on the very low carb food plan (called keto or ketogenic). I RARELY have temptations any more. Sugar just doesn't appeal to me. Last night I did yield to a craving. Kentucky Fried Chicken was on the table, and I ate a thigh. How relieved I was as I added it to my food log and discovered that it wasn't a killer.

With KFC, It's the SMELL. It's far better than the taste. That's why I wouldn't usually allow it in the house. But even then, I enjoyed the one piece enormously and wasn't tempted to reach for a second. On the keto diet, I am more aware of whether or not I am actually hungry, or if a smell or sight (as in TV commercial) is trying to convince me that I am when I am not.

Keto diets eliminate hunger.