My gym workout

Options
124»

Replies

• danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Ignore that I actually have the weights :) 2 x 1.25kg, 4 x 1 kg, 4 x 2.25kg.

When you say how much you are lifting do you say just the one side or the total?

I didn't see anyone answer this - you use the total, bar + weights. After all, that is what you are lifting right?
  • laura6009
    laura6009 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bump x
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    right I need to go weigh my bar then :)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd replied to that point, but seems my post was eaten.

Also, I added that it's probably worth getting a couple of 10kg (around 20lb) plates, ideally 4. You've got enough to make up the bits in-between. As you have seen, when you're first starting out you can go up the weights pretty quickly.

I recently got a bar with 82.5kg of weights for £32 or so (around $50). Ok, it was badly listed and the bar it's self wasn't great as it's hollow, so lighter than my shorter bar - it's already got slightly bent at some point with that much weight (though you wouldn't know without looking for it really). But that addeed to my current weights will keep me going for a while.
    (I was particulary pleased because 50kg of the weights were tri-grip olympic ones, which are easily worth £60.)
  • debrag12
    Options
    I don't think I'm going to go crazy with buying things as I feel I'll be doing it at the gym pretty quickly - needing a rack etc
  • debrag12
    Options
    So I've lost 2 lb in the last week but thats with going to the gym most days which is rare.

There were 3 women and 3 man using up 4 treadmills with only 2 in actually use, the rest were just being stood on!!! Woman (a) not doing anything, woman (b) running but woman (c) had a towel over her displace so she couldn't actually see what she was going, how much she's done etc (she was shocked at the end to find out). A guy kept checking and telling her 'a bit more' once she'd finished she literally fell off the treadmill, stumbled over another and got on it and started again. I would not want to be doing that womans workout.
    Sure a group can train together but at least all use the equipment or get off! Woman (a) doesn't actually do anything and doesn't come dressed to. I wouldn't pay for a membership and not actually use it unless she goes through the turnstile with one of the guys so doesn't pay.

I played around with the SL 5x5 moves today in the free weights section! I need to improve my squats. I used a 10kg bar then a 15kg bar. Well that is what was printing on the weights, it was a fixed weight bar.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with starting with the 10 kg bar. Focus on form and only had weight when you have the form down.
  • excello1980
    Options
    everybody is thinking allot.....the only who should be doing that is you.
    dont just go to the gym and get something trown in your hands and just do what a piece of paper says.
    you need to set goals for your own, not what other people want.
    do you want to loose fat, gain muscle?
    want to increase your conditioning or your strenght.
    first make up whta it is you excactly want!!!!

then be realictic of what is possible with your type of body(allot of people just say you need more weight, your doing it wrong and they dont even know you, your body type, your strenght or what your goals are)

you never dit work outs before, so start somewhere.
    take masurements every week...if this program is showing progress.....KEEP DOING WHAT YOUR DOING and dont listen to everyone on this forum.

there is nothing more confusing and dismotivated then hear 100 people all share there opinion.
    and you want to try it all at the same time, your not getting anywhere and you will quit in short period of time.

so my opinion, do what you want to do, try what you want to try......take measurement every week...your making progress? stick with it, if your not, increase weight, cardio or what ever your doing.

just remember, every week you dont get progress is not a lost week, you just learnd what you should not do anymore!! :))
  • debrag12
    Options
    Actually wouldn't the bars I used be 20kgs and 30kgs?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If it's a fixed weight bar which you can't adjust the weights and it says '15kg' and '20kg' on the end, that'll be the total weight.

If it's a bar where you can remove the plates and each plate says 15kg on, then you'll have 2x15kg + weight of the bar.
    For removable-weight bars, typically gyms will use 'olympic' bars that will be a 20kg bar for a standard size one - these have 2" diameter ends which spin. So a 20kg on each end makes up 60kg in total!

Oh and I get the feeling gyms can only exist by a good proportion of their members not using their facilities!.. I suspect they'd start to have serious problems if all members actually came and did a real workout 3x a week!
    But of course that's mostly not turning up, rather than turning up and not doing anything.
  • LiftHuff
    LiftHuff Posts: 131
    Options
    Do I really need go up as far as 150 lbs + I'm only in it for the strength/toning side (another stupid question no doubt)

"toning" is a myth. Strength is built by increasing the weight you move progressively. In order to get stronger, you must do something that is difficult for you to do. So, as you progress with any beginner strength program, you progressively add weight each session, and your body reacts to the stimulus very noticeably at first. You will begin to see muscles that you never knew you had, and that is what people are looking for when they talk about "toning." You can't shape a muscle. You can't spot reduce. You can build muscle and you can burn fat.

The most important thing about free weight training (particularly compound lifts like squats and deads) is that form is king. If you can't do the movement WITHOUT FORM BREAKDOWN, then consider it a failed rep.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    ^^ i guess i'm not really sure what people mean when they say 'toning', but i'd say its possilbe to 'develop' a muscle with out actually adding mass, such as increased striations... maybe even shape it a bit different such as getting a higher peak on ones bicep. at the very least you can get more strength out of your muscles with out adding mass.
  • LiftHuff
    LiftHuff Posts: 131
    Options
    ^^ And, in fact, will virtually ALWAYS result in a reduction in visible hypertrophy when you're training specifically for strength.