I want to replace envelopes for taco seasoning

Options

Replies

• angelajiniel
    angelajiniel Posts: 115
    Options
    I love to make my own, my recipe is basically the same as what's already been listed. Most commercial taco seasoning adds flour as a thickener. I keep mine low carb by not adding it in usually, but either way it's delicious!
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I stopped using taco seasoning when I read the ingredients to see most of them didn't even have spices in them just corn starch or flour, a bunch of chemicals, and "natural flavors". I use paprika, cumin, minced garlic, and chili powder in mine. Also, I like to add a 4 oz can of tomato sauce (by the tomato paste and canned veggies). I think it allows the spices to coat the meat more evenly. If you are worried about sodium, there are reduced sodium tomato sauces available.
  • sroseber
    sroseber Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    So glad you asked this question! I've been wondering the same thing. My husband is so quick to just pick up those packets at the store but I never feel good about it and what "other" stuff might be in there. I figure we're using it for seasoning/spices why can't we just use spices to make it ourselves. I just didn't know what spices to use! Thanks for asking the question I had but never thought about asking on here....and thanks to those who provided recipes! I can't wait to try them and convert my hubby from the store bought packets! :happy:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone! Jeannie, I saved that recipe to my favorites! I will never use an envelope again!!:wink:

D
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    bump bump!~
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I just checked out that Wildtree website..........................great site! Prices are not bad either. Thanks for the info!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump
  • anewg
    anewg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump ;)
  • FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    allrecipes.com has a few versions
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I love tacos
    Cant wait to try this with chicken.
    Thanks for those who shared.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • mslaj
    mslaj Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm lost what does bump mean? See it over lots of topics.
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I'm lost what does bump mean? See it over lots of topics.

It's just a method of "bumping" the topic to the top of the recent posts lists, or bookmarking a topic. You have to put something in the field to post a reply, so sometimes you 'bump' just to move it up the list so folks can continue to see it; or you might 'bump' it just so that you can get it into your "My Topics" list like a bookmark so you can find it more easily later.
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    I buy taco seasoning from myspicesage.com - I am addicted to the site anyway, but they have some really good stuff!!

What a great site. Thanks.
  • lilay
    lilay Posts: 122
    Options
    DD this was delish!! Now I cant use the envelopes because it takes way to salty!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Taco-Seasoning-I/Detail.aspx

This is the one I use also :)
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Ingredients
    1 tablespoon chili powder 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder 1/4 teaspoon onion powder 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano 1/2 teaspoon paprika 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin 1 teaspoon sea salt 1 teaspoon black pepper
    Directions
    In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.

I do this one and love it. I brown 2# of ground beef (usually 7% lean) and drain it. Add 1/4 cup water and all the stuff listed. Good stuff. Even my hubby likes it.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I made chicken fajitas the other night and I gave it a try.

I didn't use a specific recipe, I just added spices that smelled good until I was happy with the results. I used lots of cumin, some pepper, a few cloves of garlic, chili powder, and red pepper flakes. My wife said it was a little too spicy for her tastes, but she thought it was at least as flavorful as a standard seasoning packet.

It could have used some salt, but the whole point was not to use any additional sodium.
  • fdobson
    fdobson Posts: 28
    Options
    I like the Epicure Taco Seasoning. 5ml has 10cal, .02 fat, 10mg sodium (much less than elpaso) and even 1 g of fibre. There is no sugar in it. Very tasty. They have all sorts of seasonings. They are on the web.