What a diet costs in reality, What do you pay per week?

Options

Replies

• MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Whats an Aldi?
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: How posh are you?! Aldi or Lidl would help you reduce your bills, they have lesser known brands and are really much cheaper for fruit and veg than average. Fresh meat, dairy, even vitamins, all cheaper. We buy the majority of stuff from there and then get a few bits and pieces from Tesco or JS if Aldi don't stock it.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i spend 100 a week on average for groceries for two. 60 a month for the gym membership. it really is not all that bad.
  • 1jobean
    Options
    It costs alot more in the winter, but if you can grow your own veggies in the spring, summer , and fall. We live on an acreage but tomatos, leaf lettuce, cucumbers, etc grow well in pots. Just a suggestion.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I have 2 teenagers and a 6yr old who are all on high calorie diets per Dr's orders and my husband and I are on low calorie diets. You guys dont want to know my grocery bill.
  • MrsSWW
    Options
    Also, cheaper to buy fruit and veg in season, this is a link to the Beeb food site with all the info you need http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/seasons/february
    Local markets tend to have big trays of chicken that you can split and freeze (or cook in a whole batch and then freeze), they tend to be cheaper for fruit and veg too, as well as spices and herbs. Basically just avoid the big supermarkets!
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have a $40/week budget (including household goods like tp and shampoo) for our family of 3 regardless of what I want my diet to look like. The majority of fruits and vegs I buy I give to my son, though, since he is little and growing. I figure he needs the nutrition more than I do. No gym membership and the only time I eat out is if someone takes us out.

ETA no Aldi around here :-(
  • leaderzzz
    leaderzzz Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    So yeh, weekly about £17-£18 but if I had to buy my own meat it would probably be about £15-£20 more than that...
    Bloody heck... well done to you..

Amands P... please tell.. I do want to know..

laugh laugh laugh How posh are you?! Aldi or Lidl would help you reduce your bills, MrsSWW, sorry for my ignorance, I thought and Aldi was a vegetable or something... I had to google it!

I have not really shopped before!
  • leaderzzz
    Options
    I have a $40/week budget (including household goods like tp and shampoo) for our family of 3 regardless of what I want my diet to look like. The majority of fruits and vegs I buy I give to my son, though, since he is little and growing. I figure he needs the nutrition more than I do. No gym membership and the only time I eat out is if someone takes us out.

ETA no Aldi around here :-(

Elise, well done, I know it can he hard to diet when taking into consideration costs, thats why I put up this thread.. I have to reduce mine as its completely over the top..
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    It's no different for me. I just eat what my family eats and buy a few protein things that I like such as tofu and wheat gluten. I do know that produce costs less I. North America. I own my own beans and kale too!
  • MrsSWW
    Options
    How posh are you?! Aldi or Lidl would help you reduce your bills, MrsSWW, sorry for my ignorance, I thought and Aldi was a vegetable or something... I had to google it!
    I have not really shopped before!
    Oh dear, it's not for the faint hearted, build yourself up to a visit... they pass on savings because they don't spend money on nannying shoppers - bring your own bags or you'll get charged for them, have a pound coin for the trolley, but MOST IMPORTANTLY do not pack your bags at the checkout, it's not the done thing in Aldi. They scan and put your shopping back in the trolley or basket, you pay, then go to the packing area. BIG mistake if you try and pack at the till, there'll be a load of angry shoppers like me tutting behind you :laugh: It's a good cardio workout if you're doing a big shop!
    When we go MrWW knows now to stand well back because there's no loitering, and I don't take prisoners when checking out!
  • leaderzzz
    Options
    blimy W05_Meat_Offers_uk.jpg
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Why is milk so cheap in the UK?
  • leaderzzz
    Options
    Why is milk so cheap in the UK?

Our goverment subsidise the farmers, then the supermarkets take that subsidey in the form of discounted milk!
    Or it may well come from a horse in the UK..
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    My food bill has actually gone down. The food I cook isn't drastically different from what I did before I started down the road to weight loss...I just eat less of it. I also don't eat out as much. I consume less processed carbs, sugar, and saturated fats these days, but otherwise things aren't drastically different for me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i have not done a breakdown like you have but I am sure we are similar....

my gym membership breaks down to $8.00 a week...

I eat a lot of eggs, vegetables, chicken, oatmeal etc...

its crazy that eating healthy is expensive and eating like **** is cheap ..hmmmmmm go figure..LOL
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Not only am I trying to buy good foods for me, I am feeding 3 teenage boys. A family of 5 on 1 income. I am denial about grocery costs. I want my own chickens and cows though, I think that would help. And my own salmon farm. And 5 acres of blueberries should be enough for the 19'yr old.
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Or it may well come from a horse in the UK..

Hahahahahahahahahaha!
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    From shopping in the US, then shopping with Mum at Christmas (in the UK), healthy food is cheaper in the UK

My son loves sprouts (um eww) 89p a pound at Tesco, come back to the US, $3.99 for 8 oz
    Basic staples are cheaper in the UK.

That said, I have a brita water pitcher, and try to never buy water out.

I think my bill is about the same, I am still getting all the junk my son loves :(
  • leaderzzz
    Options
    My food bill has actually gone down. The food I cook isn't drastically different from what I did before I started down the road to weight loss...I just eat less of it. I also don't eat out as much. I consume less processed carbs, sugar, and saturated fats these days, but otherwise things aren't drastically different for me.

I think eating out was what got me partially into a larger suit in the first place...

I went to see a friend in sarasota last year and I put on almost 1 stone whilst there.. ( thanks Dennys)

NDJ, "I eat a lot of eggs, vegetables, chicken, oatmeal etc.." .Definately correct and more so for men...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I probably spend about 100 to 125 a week on groceries and that is just for me....