30 Day Shred

Options
I'm sure others have asked in the past but I'm wondering how many calories I burn doing 30 day shred or any of the Jillian DVD's for that matter. I don't have a HRM yet...still shopping around. I'm 5'0" and 110 lbs......how do I calculate it?

Replies

• in_this_generation
    Options
    Bump
  • skylardevenney
    skylardevenney Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Most people put it in as circuit training:) & that's how I do it as well!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Most people put it in as circuit training:) & that's how I do it as well!

THIS /| :bigsmile:
  • owendrj
    owendrj Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing the 30 Day Shred and I have started Level 2. I am 45 years old, 5'8, and weigh 144 lbs. My HRM shows I burn approximately 380 calories.
  • stephaniethomas80
    stephaniethomas80 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" I was in the 150's when I did it and burned about 175 cals
  • cmageno21
    Options
    hello, I'm new to fitness pal. What is an HRM? I have seen that term used before. I am doing the 30-day shred as well and wasnt sure how to add that into my exercises to calculate calories burned.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    It varies depending on your size/weight etc. I burn around 250 cals x
  • dford5
    dford5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    hello, I'm new to fitness pal. What is an HRM? I have seen that term used before. I am doing the 30-day shred as well and wasnt sure how to add that into my exercises to calculate calories burned.

A heart rate monitor.
  • cmageno21
    Options
    how do you know how many calories you burned? I don't get how you all know that.
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options

Heart Rate Monitor...you can get them to just measure heart rate or some also show an approximate calorie burn
  • cmageno21
    Options

A heart rate monitor.
    thanks! :)
  • sophi135
    sophi135 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi i'm also doing 30 day shred and if you have an iphone or ipad there's an app you can get that calculates how many calories you would burn for each level depending on the weight that you are which is what I use because I don't have a HRM either. Hope this is helpful. Feel free to add me :)

Sophie
  • sophi135
    sophi135 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi i'm also doing 30 day shred and if you have an iphone or ipad there's an app you can get that calculates how many calories you would burn for each level depending on the weight that you are which is what I use because I don't have a HRM either. Hope this is helpful. Feel free to add me :)

Sophie
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have been doing some days of 30 DS I weigh 158.. 5'6" and I burn between 420-500 cals
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Hey! We're pretty close in stats- I'm 5'0" and 115lbs. I exercise regularly, and usually burn around 125 calories per session (level 2 modified with tougher moves) and Level 3 of the Shred. It's a great DVD! Have fun!

But yes, my advice would be to invest in an HRM to calculate how much YOU burn depending on your fitness level. You won't regret buying it, and you'll see how quickly you improve, and how it affects your HR! And you can use it when you do any cardio, making things so easy to log on here....

Good Luck!
  • swingsnatchlift
    swingsnatchlift Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I entered it as circuit training general for 18 minutes. I didn't include the warm up and cool down time to be conservative. I am 5'8.5" and 202 pounds and it was calculating about 220 cal. I just got a HRM and let it calculate calories the whole 25 minutes and it came in at 246. So, pretty close, IMO. I'm glad I was conservative in how I did it without the HRM because 25 min would have given me 306, which is intuitively too high.
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I started the 30 day shred without a HRM and just got it the other day and realized that MFP's calculations are way high...It was giving me 299 calories burned for 25 mins. but with my HRM I've been getting between 150-180 calories burned so far so big difference. Everyone is different. It depends on how much you weigh, how fit you are...etc. I highly recommend getting an HRM.
  • aas1277
    Options
    Thanks can you tell me the name of the app?
  • aas1277
    Options
    Hey! We're pretty close in stats- I'm 5'0" and 115lbs. I exercise regularly, and usually burn around 125 calories per session (level 2 modified with tougher moves) and Level 3 of the Shred. It's a great DVD! Have fun!

But yes, my advice would be to invest in an HRM to calculate how much YOU burn depending on your fitness level. You won't regret buying it, and you'll see how quickly you improve, and how it affects your HR! And you can use it when you do any cardio, making things so easy to log on here....

Good Luck!

Thanks....I've been using the Jillian DVDs for several years now but no matter how much I do them or go to the gym the center of my stomach will not flatten so I'm trying to watch my food intake and track calories burned...can you suggest a good HRM...I was looking at the Polaris Ft4
  • aas1277
    Options

Sophie

Thanks...can you tell me the name of the app?