Numbers in Red (Sugar mostly)

Options
A friend told me (though contradicting in a way) to also watch my sugars...but I need to eat more fruits. Yesterday, I went over the alloted 24g. Okay so granted, the special K increased it... but so did the veggies, the strawberries, the honey (I see a lot use for some extra flavor).... even the green leaf lettuce... and tomatoes in my homemade all natural gumbo.

So today, I went with what the trainer suggested in a hand out on a diet plan, 1/4 cup of steel milled oats and a banana - already, there's 1/2 my sugar, so any fruit I try to eat will again put me over especially if I try to do the rec's of not just the trainer but also the food pyramid guide, which ironically shoved my calorie intake from the 1200 here (the upped 1500 from the trainer) to 2200...WOW - talk about confused. now!

Replies

• NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I would say try to eliminate sugars enough to keep you out of the red at least for a couple of weeks which will jump start your weight loss in my experience.. then add a fruit meal in per day. If you stick to low glycemic fruits like apples and berries you'll get your fruit nutrients in with less sugars.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    You'll get a lot of contradictory messages on here. But I fruit only in the morning and try to eat only protien and veggies in the afternoon. Also, I use agave instead of honey for the low glycemic index. It's just as good! I don't worry too much about sugars as long as they are not refined. If you want take a look at my diary. The last week has been pretty much perfect I've been weighing with a scale. Yesterday I didn't eat enough though, but don't think I eat like that all the time I try to get atleast 1600 cal a day.
  • Fragilebird24
    Fragilebird24 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I used to track my sugar but decided to stop. Sometimes I would be over my sugar before lunch if I ate a breakfast bar and some fruit. The thing about MFP is that they don't differentiate between natural sugars (like from fruit) and added sugars (like from baked goods, candy, etc.) It was discouraging when I ate healthier all day and was still in the red with my sugars.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Just watch the added/refined sugar...I doubt too many are here because they ate the fruit and veggies. Refined/added sugar gets metabolized by the body very quickly and goes to your fat stores very quickly...the fiber in fruit and veg, etc slows that process down substantially. If you're really worried about it, keep your fruit to 2 servings per day and get 4-5 servings of veg...cut out and or significantly reduce your refined sugar intake. Really, unless you have an underlying medical condition or are at risk for one, it's not a big deal, especially if most of those sugars are coming from fruit and veg.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Natural sugars are not even nearly as bad as table/added sugars. Honey usually has added sugar, raw sugar, brown sugar, white sugar, processed food that has sugar added in various forms is good to keep at a low level. Bascially, anything that comes from a tree and/or the ground has good fats/fiber/sugar/carbs/protein pretty much good. Don't go overboard on eating a ton of fruit in the day but eating a couple of apples or bananas a day is not bad for you. Limit your foods with added sugar and eat you natural foods that contain sugar (usually in the form of fructose for those apple lovers).
  • cdgabbert
    cdgabbert Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I used to track my sugar but decided to stop. Sometimes I would be over my sugar before lunch if I ate a breakfast bar and some fruit. The thing about MFP is that they don't differentiate between natural sugars (like from fruit) and added sugars (like from baked goods, candy, etc.) It was discouraging when I ate healthier all day and was still in the red with my sugars.
    That's my thinking too - the same with fats... My fat goes over sometimes because of healthy fats, such as avocados and tofu...which makes it quite depressing to look at the red, when you sit and think okay - so did what I eat... was it really that unhealthy? Especially things that are on the meal plans offered by the USDA, the trainer, etc... then the amount of kCal you can have... it's so confusing to have MFP have me at 1200, that I upped from the trainer who said with my usual work out, 1200 was NOT nearly enough and then the USDA says 2200...

It's like okay - which one will actually help me loose weight? If I go to 1200 here, I'm told I am burning way too much and starving myself... the 1500 I have a heck of a time meeting and I swear its more work to get there than it is enjoyable... .LOL and then the 2200 I couldn't even imagine that helping... and most of theirs in grains (carbs).... and very little protein in comparison to the .5 per pound I was told by the trainer....
  • cdgabbert
    Options
    Thanks Wolfman - I admit it's NOT always - like the zone protein bars kills with sugar and fat... but like someone else said, MFP is not designed to differeniate healthy fats / sugars...

I try to think of carbs as sugar more since I attended a diabetes class with an ex - (I'm not) and my only health condition is my HDL's are low and need to be raised... hence the bit of dark chocolate I have... I haven't even done the one glass of red wine the doc suggested...

Last night I actually watched this video by a nutritionist that says the worst thing you can do (especially with craving issues) is do just veggie and protein for dinner and it's a bad way of thinking...

It's amazing how many people have researched and found conflicting things... if only we all could afford trainers, nutrionists and private chefs!!! Not to forget the healthier foods we need rather than all this processed stuff that is cheaper than organic... and then people wonder why we are an unhealthy nation.... fast food / processed foods are cheaper generally speaking than healthy food we have to cook with from scratch...
  • cdgabbert
    Options
    And no worries on me eating too much fruit - it takes everything I have to eat what I do eat - not my favorite!!!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I ignore the sugars because I eat an orange and I am over. I don't think MFP takes into account added sugar vs. natural sugar. So I have taken that off my diary and replaced it with sodium, something I know I go over consistantly and something I need to work on.
  • cdgabbert
    Options
    So Jerry - don't eat any fruit or even green beans that was part of my sugar yesterday and today???

It's in natural foods was kinda my point ... if you showed the sugar on your diary - you can't completely cut it out when it's natural just as the bananas and such in your food...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Thanks Wolfman - I admit it's NOT always - like the zone protein bars kills with sugar and fat... but like someone else said, MFP is not designed to differeniate healthy fats / sugars...

I try to think of carbs as sugar more since I attended a diabetes class with an ex - (I'm not) and my only health condition is my HDL's are low and need to be raised... hence the bit of dark chocolate I have... I haven't even done the one glass of red wine the doc suggested...

Last night I actually watched this video by a nutritionist that says the worst thing you can do (especially with craving issues) is do just veggie and protein for dinner and it's a bad way of thinking...

It's amazing how many people have researched and found conflicting things... if only we all could afford trainers, nutrionists and private chefs!!! Not to forget the healthier foods we need rather than all this processed stuff that is cheaper than organic... and then people wonder why we are an unhealthy nation.... fast food / processed foods are cheaper generally speaking than healthy food we have to cook with from scratch...

If your HDL is low, look into taking some Omega 3 fish oil as well. I take 2,000 mg of salmon oil daily...provides 600mg omega 3 fatty acids, 220mg DHA, and 180 mg EPA. I give these little supplements a lot of credit for bringing my HDL's from 35 to 43 in 4 months. Also, olive oil, avocado, nuts, etc...all good heart healthy fats that will up your HDLs.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    It is extremely confusing because everyone seems to find a bit of research to back up their claim. Who to believe?

Keep reading the forums. You will soon see the members who have achieved healthy results and have weeded through the good, bad, and ugly of weight loss issues. then give a bit more credibiltiy to what they have to say.

For me, if sugar is coming from whole healthy food, I dont' care what the number says at the end of the day. I love fruit and believe it is far healthier than most snack foods. I got sick of seeing the red number though so changed to tracking potassium, something I have a hard time getting enough of.

You are, I assume, paying the trainer you are working with. In my opinion this is the person you ought to be listening to right now. Not that all trainers know enough about nutrition but if he is following your progress he will make adjustments to your program as you go along. That is what people do here too....all the numbers are estimates...you try one plan for 2 to 4 weeks and make modifications if the results you expect are not forthcoming.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid refined and added sugar. If I'm over because of fruits then so be it.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Natural or not if my sugars run high if effects my losses. I try to stick to 30g. Often goes to about 35. If I have fruit its berries and apart from that I eat tonnes of green veggies and salad.

It is possible to keep it under. Just takes some adjusting! Also I don't eat bananas. Huge sugar hit. From what I've learnt a sugar is a sugar. Your body knows no difference between natural or not.

Lots of people have different views on this but I just go off what works for me!

Zara x
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    LOL i go over on sugars EVERYDAY like 100g:noway: without fail with my fruit intake! i have tried keeping under by not eating fruit but i also have a large latte made with skimmed milk and that then throws me over sugar so if i was you its the benificial effects and not the sugar intake you should look at!
    as long as you are under cals at the end of the day who cares! :bigsmile:
  • LiveTheLifeYouWillLove
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the sugar if its in fruits and veggies. But if you want to make different selections of healthy foods based on sugar levels, you can check out the glycemic index list of foods(you can find these lists online doing a search). It helps you to see which foods are not only sugary but turn to sugar in the body. A potato versus oats shows you a big difference. I am not one to completely cut out a food that is deemed "unhealthy" but I make note of it and don't eat it daily and/or have smaller portions. I look at things from a weekly perspective as well. I don't eat potatoes, bread, melon daily but have them occassionally.
  • idaholawchick
    idaholawchick Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Most of the research distinguishes added sugar from the sugar found in fruits & vegetables. The thought is that the effect of the sugar is offset by the fiber. However, some people do think all sugar is the same. There's no clear answer. Personally, when I look at my sugar I subtract out fruits & veggies so I'm only tracking added/refined sugar.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    LOL i go over on sugars EVERYDAY like 100g:noway: without fail with my fruit intake! i have tried keeping under by not eating fruit but i also have a large latte made with skimmed milk and that then throws me over sugar so if i was you its the benificial effects and not the sugar intake you should look at!
    as long as you are under cals at the end of the day who cares! :bigsmile:

I don't get that. Why is skim milk in the US full of sugar? In Canada there is 0mg of sugar in skim milk!