Exercise: Does it correlate to one's own mental state?

Options
Okay, to kind of get straight to the point: I'm looking to become fitter and healthier, but in a lot more ways than just physical. Last time I weighed myself (it's been a while since I'm not on very friendly terms with scales) I weighed 255 lbs. I track what I eat, what I drink, and what exercise I do. However, exercise is a big problem of mine. I was never fond of exercising when I was younger, (I was lazy and sedentary), and always saw exercise as a choir rather than something that should be fun or part of a routine on a daily basis. When I entered into college, exercise became more of a natural habit, since I didn't have a car or license and taking the bus back and forth to school was the only choice. Not to mention my classes were so far apart (one being in the back of the parking structures up a steep hill, practically off campus grounds) that walking didn't seem like exercise, but more of "How else am I supposed to get to class?" and didn't think much more of it. Not to mention I didn't have much money to spend freely as a college student, so snacking and eating out wasn't part of the routine, and even if I did eat, I was exercising so much and eating so little that it did, in a way, balance out. I lost a lot of weight as a college student.

Unfortunately, many factors came into play that quickly stopped this: I got my license and car, so taking the bus was no longer necessary and so was walking home; finances became tighter so I eventually stopped going to school; I started working in Target retail stores where fast food chains and junk food became readily available, as well as the money to spend; and I quickly became lazy at home instead of active, using the "job" card frequently to not do much. (I sound like a horrible person in this, don't I? But I'm being honest). I became very serious in a relationship where my boyfriend and I live together, and I stopped worrying about how I look to him, and eventually we started spending almost 24/7 together, the only time not around each other is when we are at work.

I am highly insecure, I lack confidence and am emotionally vulnerable. Although I hate quoting my mother or even telling her that she's right, (I'm stubborn, hard-headed, and like to be right no matter what), she keeps informing me that getting more exercise in my day will make me an emotionally and psychologically stronger person, not just physical. She tells me that staying home all the time and being around my boyfriend can be poisonous to my health, and that I need to get out more and get more exercise into my day. She tells me I'll feel good about it, that there will be more endorphin flowing through me to make me happier, and tells me that as I exercise more, I will develop more confidence, I'll fight off the depression a lot easier, and things will get better with me on the inside and out, as well as make the relationship with my boyfriend stronger.

I hate telling my mom that she's right but I am listening to her and taking into account what she says. I think (scratch that -- know) she's right, but I also want to know from the community. These are the questions I want to ask, and see if there are success stories or people who were in the same boat as me that changed. These the questions:

1) Does exercise really change and/or effect a person's overall mood and state of mind?

2) Can a change in exercise habits (or lack thereof) change a person's mood and emotional state, make them more confident and secure in themselves?

3) If willing to share, does anyone have a story to tell of how exercise made them better? Not just physical, but did exercise better your life on the outside and in?

4) I am looking for happiness and acceptance with myself. My mother suggests seeing a therapist, but I told her I want to try healthier alternatives, (change of diet, increase of exercise, and lose weight), before that. Do you think this is a wise/understandable choice? Do you agree with my mother? (I will never tell her she is right because I am stubborn. I know she is though. I would like some feedback from the community.)

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Your mother is right.

Try it and see the benefits first hand.
  • watergirlri
    watergirlri Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, exercise will help with state of mind. Listen to your mother. She sounds like a wise lady looking out for your best interest.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    You are about 90% my soulmate. the difference is i have an overabundance of confidence (too much sometimes). but i do have to say as much as i hate exercising, it makes me feel better and it's a real mood booster. I'm still not a major fan of it, but the benefits keep bringing me back.

My suggestion is this, give it a week. just 20 minutes a day. even though you hate it, plod through. i bet at the end of the week, you'll feel as if it's less of a chore than you thought. i started out walking on my treadmill, but you can try whatever works for you that you like.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    1) Does exercise really change and/or effect a person's overall mood and state of mind?

It does for me. My favorite saying I found on MFP is, "You are one workout away from a good mood."

2) Can a change in exercise habits (or lack thereof) change a person's mood and emotional state, make them more confident and secure in themselves?

Somewhat. I suffer from pretty severe social phobia (I also just really hate being around people and always have). But I deal with it a lot better now that I feel better and yes, look better. I'm not the invisible, shameful fat woman huffing and puffing up the store aisle anymore with a grocery cart full of things I don't need to be eating. That helps. A lot. I still don't like people, though!

3) If willing to share, does anyone have a story to tell of how exercise made them better? Not just physical, but did exercise better your life on the outside and in?

See above.

4) I am looking for happiness and acceptance with myself. My mother suggests seeing a therapist, but I told her I want to try healthier alternatives, (change of diet, increase of exercise, and lose weight), before that. Do you think this is a wise/understandable choice? Do you agree with my mother? (I will never tell her she is right because I am stubborn. I know she is though. I would like some feedback from the community.)

I don't know you as well as your mom does. And hell, if I had health insurance I might seek therapy, too. Why not enlist all the help I can get my hands on to deal with my issues? But not drugs. Screw that. Exercise is an excellent mood booster for some of us, try that first unless you're suicidal or something.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I would go crazy if I didn't exercise. My life is super stressful right now. I run about 20 miles per week and walk about 15 on my treadmill. I study while walking and I watch Netflix while running. So it is a great break from work, family responsibilities and full-time college.

Find something you like to do and go do it. You will feel so much better.

This morning I woke up feeling very down. I am severely overwhelmed with the amount of stuff going on in life. My husband has had to move to another state because there is no work here and we are in a great deal of financial distress. I work for a guy who doesn't pay me until week or so after payday but there are so few jobs I'm sort of stuck. He's also not all that mentally stable. I have 2 teenage stepchildren with severe issues that I have to try to keep safe and keep in school. My husband is ADHD and there is stuff piled all around our 2.5 acres that I need to sort out, sell, scrap, throw away and organize over the next 5 months so I can move. If I don't get it done I can't move to be with him. I also take 15 credit hours at the university each quarter. I have piles of homework to finish and am running out of time. Needless to say, I don't really have time but still took an hour of my time to run. I feel so much better, less depressed and after my shower will be ready to tackle all that homework.

Try exercising for a month. Do something every day. Figure out what you like. You will see how much better you will feel emotionally.
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options

1) Yes. I have been diagnosed with clinical depression. Occasionally I have patches of very bad depression which last weeks or even a month or two. However, now that I'm exercising more and eating healthier, I've noticed that I pull out of these "bad patches" much quicker. This past one only lasted a couple of days. I'm not saying it will solve all your problems, but it does help.

2) Maybe. I haven't been at it long enough to really know yet. I DO know that when I'm thinner, I'm a little more confident. And, I've read success stories on the site where other people have talked about feeling more confident as they exercise more and eat better.

3) Not yet, but again, I've read other people's stories talking about it. Go check out the success forum. Also, sometimes people post good blogs about things like this.

4) Hm... I think trying diet and exercise first is a good idea. However, after a while, you may find that you still need to talk to someone, and that's okay. Also, if you go to therapy and are eating unheathily and/or not exercising, the therapist will suggest that you do it anyways, in addition to the therapy. So, if you can, you might as well get yourself physically healthier beforehand.
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Like yourself when I was a kid I never worked out and was not the sporty type. My husband and I started dating being with one another all the time I went from 130 to 180 in a few years. I was depressed and always down on myself. I decided I needed to change and that time away from each other to do our own thing was a good thing. So I started going to the gym, yes dragging myself at first now I just do jillian micheals workouts at home (no gym in my area now). Now we have been together 12 years and I love working out. When I'm depressed a great workout makes me feel so much better. Hope this helps you.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    It's great that you're reflecting on your past to see why you are where you are today =)
    1) Does exercise really change and/or effect a person's overall mood and state of mind? .

For me, yes. I eat better and sleep better with regular exercise. I can usually get through a lot of bad moods with exercise. I almost always exercise after the office and it helps to clear out my day and enable me to relax when I get home and start afresh the next day. I also gained a can-do attitude.[/quote]

Yes. I feel more confident and secure because I'm building character as well as muscle and endurance. I'm continually showing discipline by sticking to a routine and as I improve I feel more confident because I know that I can achieve things that seem hard at first
    4) I am looking for happiness and acceptance with myself. My mother suggests seeing a therapist, but I told her I want to try healthier alternatives, (change of diet, increase of exercise, and lose weight), before that. Do you think this is a wise/understandable choice? Do you agree with my mother? (I will never tell her she is right because I am stubborn. I know she is though. I would like some feedback from the community.

There is nothing unhealthy about seeing a therapist, indeed having someone to talk to might help you make these changes in your life. Making the changes you suggest will probably make you happier and help you accept yourself but if you think you have underlying issues that make you unhappy (many use food as a coping mechanism) you will probably need to deal with these at some point.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    This might help inspire you, I loved this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo

Lots of people on this site work out really hard. You don't need to do that to get benefits. You're just starting out, so no need to go crazy. Pop in your earbuds, listen to some great music or podcasts, and go for a walk. You'll be happier for it.

It doesn't cure everything, though. If you're genuinely depressed (rather than just discontent or temporarily unhappy), a therapist is a good idea. And a therpist can really help you find the motivation you need to live a healthier life. It's not all about taking drugs.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options

1. Yes 100%
    2. Yes I believe so, and mix it with a healthy diet and positive attitude and you will see big changes
    3. Exercise is a HUGE stress relief... and you can pick any exercise, it's the fact you are moving. It helped me handle breakups with boyfriends, to clear my mind, etc. It gvies me SOOO much more energy and I find myself doing more...and with that I have lost weight, became a stronger/healthier person, and my self confidence and self esteem has made leaps and bounds.
    4. Happiness and healthiness can come with diet and exercise, but you need to start taking a deep look into yourself. Why aren't you happy and secure, etc.? Is it men? is it confidence? it is work? blah blah. It takes ALOT of self discovery, some that doesn't feel very happy at the time... can it be done alone? sure.... a therapist might help you along your way.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    It's great that you're reflecting on your past to see why you are where you are today =)
    1) Does exercise really change and/or effect a person's overall mood and state of mind? .

For me, yes. I eat better and sleep better with regular exercise. I can usually get through a lot of bad moods with exercise. I almost always exercise after the office and it helps to clear out my day and enable me to relax when I get home and start afresh the next day. I also gained a can-do attitude.

Yes. I feel more confident and secure because I'm building character as well as muscle and endurance. I'm continually showing discipline by sticking to a routine and as I improve I feel more confident because I know that I can achieve things that seem hard at first
    4) I am looking for happiness and acceptance with myself. My mother suggests seeing a therapist, but I told her I want to try healthier alternatives, (change of diet, increase of exercise, and lose weight), before that. Do you think this is a wise/understandable choice? Do you agree with my mother? (I will never tell her she is right because I am stubborn. I know she is though. I would like some feedback from the community.

There is nothing unhealthy about seeing a therapist, indeed having someone to talk to might help you make these changes in your life. Making the changes you suggest will probably make you happier and help you accept yourself but if you think you have underlying issues that make you unhappy (many use food as a coping mechanism) you will probably need to deal with these at some point.
    [/quote]

Well said :) I agree
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    1- Yes.

2- Yes.

3- Feeling vigorous and strong is its own reward. I also enjoy the things I do as exercise. Biking and kayaking are fun plus get me out into the beautiful outdoors around here, so exercise itself is a reward and I look forward to it and would do it even if it didn't improve my health. But if "exercise" for me was just doing videos or classes at a gym, I'd never stick with it. That to me is a form of torture.

4- Happiness and acceptance ultimately should come from within. Sounds like you know that. Surround yourself with friends who see the awesome in you and make you see it too. (But NOT enablers.) If you are still unable to feel that, even when rationally you know you have every reason to, that would IMO be time to see a therapist.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it correlates directly, but this is what I know is true for me: When I run, or do a hard workout in the pool, I feel empowered. I feel empowered because I haven't done hardcore exercise in years, and knowing that I can do it and not be all out of breath and miserable is an amazing feeling. And when I feel empowered, I feel better about myself, and other things in my life that aren't as easy to control as "Ok, let's put on a suit and get our butt in the pool. Slower swimmers are in the next lane over, and I can beat them."

So for me, yes, there is a relationship. That said, I happily eat my exercise calories. :)
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Bump~
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options

1 - For me, yes 100% yes. I got off anti-depressants because of exercise.
    2 - Yes. I am way more confident now that I am working out at least 40 minutes a day.
    3 - I am sure I have something but my brain is drawing a blank.
    4 - That is something you need to decide for yourself. I have a therapist - I have since 2006, but I don't see him regularly anymore. He decided I didn't need him all the time but I do check in with him every now and then.
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I try to get in a work out most days and I definitely think it helps my attitude about most things.
    I feel better physically and am happier. For me exercise is not a chore, I look forward to it and make it a priority in my schedule.

I agree, your mom is right. If you don't like going to a gym, find some activity that you do enjoy and try to encourage your boy friend to join you. It will help strengthen your relationship.
  • lustingforfitness
    Options
    Yes, yes, absolutely yes. If you're looking for a sign to start exercising and get healthier, this is it.

"I am looking for happiness and acceptance with myself. My mother suggests seeing a therapist, but I told her I want to try healthier alternatives, (change of diet, increase of exercise, and lose weight), before that. Do you think this is a wise/understandable choice?"

Absolutely. I'm not going to tell you that you can cure your depression simply by exercising, there is more to depression than that, but it would certainly be a tremendous help. Exercising will make you happier all around and although I do not know if it's possible to completely eradicate depression from lifestyle changes alone, I think it's possible. There are numerous studies that emphasis that point, see here: http://www.google.com/search?q=exercise+combats+depression&oq=exercise+combats+depression&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I am so much happier with myself and with my life now that I exercise all the time and have incorporated it into my lifestyle. It's a routine now, and I do not see it as a chore, I see it as a joy. I see it as something I must do, and more importantly something I WANT to do.

I live with my girlfriend and we're together almost 24/7 like you and your boyfriend are too and I love it. I don't think that is the problem, unless you two have an unhealthy relationship and you are feeding each others' depressions.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know that exercises regularly agrees that it brings down their stress levels.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

1. Yes, exercise releases chemicals in the brain that improve mood AND self esteem ....heres some science http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0166432811007339

2. Yes, a change in habit can certainly lead to changes in self esteem....Cognitive behavioural therapy works to change the way you think about things, and teach new strategies for coping. You can do this yourself by changing the way you react to a situation and reinforcing it with positive outcomes.

3. I definitely feel better when I exercise. If I dont I start to feel sluggish, tired and miserable. I love the boost that training gives me, and the social aspect is also important for me :)

4. Your mum is right, find a GOOD therapist, and work things out. A therapist might provide a whole different viewpoint on a situation that you may not have thought of yourself.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    There is a book I recommend to you by Robert Sapolsky titled "Why Zebra's Don't Get Ulcers" which discusses the neuroscience behind exercise and how it benefits the mental state. It addresses "fight or flight" and how not responding to this physiology is damaging to your health. The short answer is Yes. The why is in his book.