The Tunaziki Sandwich! (176 calories!)

Options
2»

Replies

• purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I found it in the specialty cheese/dips section. It will most likely be near the hummus, as it's made by Cedars, which makes hummus.
  • MikeG2
    MikeG2 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I do something similar except:
    -I use 2 tbsp (Costco) Skotidakis Jalapeno Greek yogurt dip
    -about five banana pepper rings (stir until they are broken into little pieces throughout)
    -and I either use 1 whole can salmon or tuna
    -and I put it on Ryvita crispbread (big crackers)
    A third of the mixture on two crackers is 200 calories.

A little tidbit of info's:
    -DON'T throw out the spine and bones of salmon. Separate it, crush it with a fork, and mix it in. It is a HUGE source of calcium. I got this trick from my 85 year old father-in-law, who incidentally still windsurfs, skis and snowboards depending on the season!
    -salmon or tuna in oil (as opposed to water) is an awesome source of omega 3, the good fat.
  • twentyco
    twentyco Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    This looks awesome. I also use Bolthouse Farms yogurt ranch dressing in place of mayo (I am allergic to eggs, so mayo has always been a big no no for me) to make tuna sandwiches, and really like them that way. That particular dressing is great if you like ranch, because it tastes fairly close to "real" ranch for only 45 cals/serving (instead of 160 or so).
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    This looks awesome. I also use Bolthouse Farms yogurt ranch dressing in place of mayo (I am allergic to eggs, so mayo has always been a big no no for me) to make tuna sandwiches, and really like them that way. That particular dressing is great if you like ranch, because it tastes fairly close to "real" ranch for only 45 cals/serving (instead of 160 or so).
    I may try to make that for my boyfriend! I don't like ranch, but he's obsessive with it so that sounds like a great idea
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!! Def gonna give this a whirl.
  • timeforsomethingsweet
    Options
    this sounds delicious! thank you for sharing
  • JVCB
    JVCB Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Here's the recipe, if you'd like to make it yourself:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tzatziki-sauce-yogurt-and-cucumber-dip/
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I am officially addicted to Tzatziki. :love:

I tried the Tunaziki minus the bread and with onions...it was delicious.

Thanks so much for sharing!
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I looked for the tzatzaki in Kroger this evening but didn't find any. I'll try Publix later.
  • marilyn6180
    Options
    I have some Tzatzaki in the fridge and will try this for lunch. I don't mind Mayo and love tuna salad but this sounds like a very appealing change. Thanks.
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I make homemade Tzatziki sauce and have some in the fridge! Will be trying this!
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    That sounds good. I also use hummus!!!! Sooo tasty!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • JennV64
    JennV64 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    looks Awesome! I LOVE Tatziki! I had no idea it was lower in calories than Mayo. DEFinately gonna try this! Thanks for sharing, I never would've thought to put this together but, now that I see it, I'm like... Ye-ah!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I actually make a dip like this for tuna (or any other meat too) using 0% fage plain greek yogurt, grated cucumber to taste, and greek seasoning (found in the spice aisle). Mix it all together and let it sit in the fridge for a bit for the flavors to sort of marry each other :smile: It keeps well in the fridge and works great for tuna or as a dip for chicken, beef, etc. Very yummy and packed with protein!
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Here's the recipe, if you'd like to make it yourself:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tzatziki-sauce-yogurt-and-cucumber-dip/

This would be the better way vs. store bought. No preservatives and you can control the salt content.

I'll have to try this tuna recipe, I eat tuna pretty often and don't like killing it's good points with mayo all the time. I was doing a miracle whip/chipotle pepper version for a while that was good, it didn't take much of the whip/pepper mix to get it tasting spicy and smoky. Sometimes I use wraps for eating it but most of the time I just grab a few stalks of celery and put it on that.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    that would also be good with plain greek yogurt and added spices like chives, garlic powder, onion powder, dillweed