vegan diet?

Options

Replies

• Poetic_Photography
    Options
    I switched to a vegetarian diet and love it! My advice is to do a lot of reading, find recipes, and slowly switch over. A good documentary to watch is "Forks Over Knives" followed by the video "Forks Over Knives Presents: Engine 2 Diet"... also, the "Engine 2 Diet" is a good book :-)

I wouldn't dream of going back on a meat/dairy based diet.. I feel so much better!!! :smile:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If you don't like lentils, you're ****ed.
  • Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I used to follow vegan diet for few months at begining of my weight loss adventure. Its sure beneficial to health, it made me feel better mentaly about annimal rights and not suporting murderous industry etc etc. What broke it for me was yoghurt >.> I LOVE MY DIARY PRODUCTS, soya and almond replacements are erally expensive in my current country, so I gave up.

If you are not lusting over milk and yoghurts or cheeses or other stuff like that , vegan is good for you for sure :3
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I tried to be a vegan for a while, and I found the food choices great! There were two main challenges:

1. Family pressure and family eating styles

2. Choices out in public

My mother is weird when it comes to different eating and living styles. She kept giving me flack about it. I wasn't really doing it for health, but I was trying to do it for environmental concerns. Our world produces more corn for livestock than it does for people, meaning that land is being used up at a rapid rate. Oops, a bit of a tangent is growing here, but anyway, I tried it for environmental concerns and had some negative feedback from the peanut gallery, which is difficult for me.

My husband and children love meaty foods, and I found it difficult to create meals for us all.

Going out was terribly frustrating for my husband, because I was too timid to ask people to make vegan versions of food on the menu. If you can do that, it should be no problem; however, you have to ask a lot of questions. Some breads have milk-based products in them. Even vegetarian cheeses have dairy, which I think is odd. Why make a "vegetarian cheese" when cheese is already vegetarian? Shouldn't it have no dairy?

I ate LOTS of new vegetables and my husband even liked some of the vegan things I made. I just mixed random veggies that I thought would taste good.

It may be common sense, but I didn't realize that plant-based foods themselves NEVER contain cholesterol. It can be healthy and fun, but there are challenges if you are going from meat-eater to vegan.

Vegetarian cheese means that the rennet that's used is plant based, not animal based. Rennet is a required ingredient for making hard, usually aged cheeses. If you explore the cheese aisle and read the ingredients, some will say "sheep rennet" and the like. Others will say "microbial" something-or other, which means there's no way of telling. The only surefire way to know is if it's either labeled vegeterian of labeled "Kosher" since meat and dairy can't be mixed. I won't get into what rennet is, because I try not to think about it...
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i would first recommend trying a vegetarian, plant-based diet and cut out meat. i think going straight into a vegan lifestyle can be jarring and a bit stressful. most people believe 'vegetarian' means 'not eating meat or animal flesh' and vegan means 'not eating any animal flesh or by products'. many vegans will tell you that veganism is a lifestyle, not a diet - it includes ensuring your toiletries do not include animal by products, your clothing does not include leather or wool, etc.

i have heard of people having trouble adjusting to not eating meat, but that's usually because they do not obtain adequate nutrients from their vegetarian diet. swapping out morningstar farms veg burgers for meat at meals is not really a healthy option (although i love their tomato basil patties). you sound a lot like my husband and i - we're researching vegetarianism because of both health and eco-concerns. we have cut out cow's milk but are still eating cheese and yogurt. in the past week, we have only eaten meat once - fish. i'm uncertain whether i want to cut put meat entirely, but i want to be as animal friendly and humane as possible. we've decided to limit our meat intake to one or two meals a week (although one is more likely) and it will be either chicken or fish produced locally. once the weather breaks and the farms in new york open for the season (usually march), we're going to take field trips to a couple of farms and see if we can find local, organically and humanely produced eggs and cheeses. we may continue to eat chicken if we find a farm that supplies it that we are happy with, but we're both leaning towards no meat at all.

i think asking questions and researching are your best options. remember that everyone has a different path, and not everyone is as open-minded as other people. i've already had family members making comments about my not eating meat (not positive comments). but i feel great, physically and emotionally, not eating meat. i also recommend checking with your doctor about his concerns. i've had the same doctor for many years and when i told him about it, he was excited that i was excited about eating healthier and losing weight. he shared his concerns about me eating a vegetarian diet, and now i know what to do for my body. because we're all different. what i need to do to stay healthy may be different than what you need to do. good luck :)
  • NurseAshoRN
    NurseAshoRN Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I would recommend cutting out meat a few days a week at first...this was how I started. All of a sudden I had gone a week without meat and never missed it. Definitely do some research and maybe even talk with your doctor. I'm getting ready to have some lab work done just to make sure I'm supplementing correctly with b12 and so on.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Hey there!
    I recently went Vegan (about two weeks ago). For me I did it mostly as a challenge and I was pretty disgusted with the meat industry after watching "vegucated". (Yup, I jumped on that bandwagon). Personally i LOVE it. I feel better after I eat, I don't feel bloated and tired after eating. OVerall it's much more difficult to be vegan but as of right now I'm going to continue because I just feel so great. It's not for everyone, depending on where you live and your lifestyle. I won't ever go "full" vegan and not buy any animal products (I will not give up my Justin boots!) but as far as food I see a million reasons you should at least try it! My advice is to start slow, don't put too much pressure on yourself to be perfect and to do lots of research! Good luck!
  • First off its not a diet it's a lifestyle! :)
    And I've been on and off vegetarian for 6 years recently went vegan and love it!!
    I recommend you do your research I just finished reading Skinny Bi*ch and I have a whole new out look, it also has a 1 month meal plan at the end to help non vegans get started and learn about how to eat and what vegan foods to say away from as well as safe vegan products.
    But I will say since going completely vegan I do feel alot healthier and better with my food choices :) and I have become a much better cook. There's so much variety some days idk what to eat Cus I have so many options make sure you make healthy choices over unhealthy ones though. Like whole wheat pasta/rice over white pasta/rice or dark chocolate over Oreos (yes those are sadly vegan) but its not that difficult. I've found a toooon of vegan recipes online all amazing and very easy.
  • Hey there!
    I recently went Vegan (about two weeks ago). For me I did it mostly as a challenge and I was pretty disgusted with the meat industry after watching "vegucated". (Yup, I jumped on that bandwagon). Personally i LOVE it. I feel better after I eat, I don't feel bloated and tired after eating. OVerall it's much more difficult to be vegan but as of right now I'm going to continue because I just feel so great. It's not for everyone, depending on where you live and your lifestyle. I won't ever go "full" vegan and not buy any animal products (I will not give up my Justin boots!) but as far as food I see a million reasons you should at least try it! My advice is to start slow, don't put too much pressure on yourself to be perfect and to do lots of research! Good luck!

Lol I jumped on THAT bandwagon to and I'm the same way with my boots!!
  • Judddilicious
    Options
    Vegan diets are strange because it isnt just what you eat. It depebds on what degree you want to be ethical. (Im not vegan anymore but I was as a teenager, I dont know everything and this is just my opinion)

If you are doing it for ethical reasons then you really need to go the whole hog. (Not eat meat or dairy but then glugging down wine that has fish guts used in its brewing process may seem to some as hypocritical) like many have said veganism is a life choice. So many products these days have animal parts used in them that it may seem daughnting to someone who is new to the vegan world because there is alot to learn! I definitely believe veganism is a love and a passion and it needs to be as sourcing vegan products (not just food) can be more difficult for someone who is less educated on the vegan lifestyle.

If you are dedicated to becoming vegan IMO I would start with a wholefoods plant based diet while slowly phasing out meat and dairy products. While doing this I would research into vegan clothing, cosmetics, glues and other products that people wouldnt neccesarily assume as having animal parts in them, and slowly transition into using them. In my eyes the word vegan is banded around to often, some people who says they are vegan are just veggies who dont eat dairy. True vegans wear its as a badge of pride and it is a 100% commitment and I agree it should be.

*controversial bit* IMO I dont believe people should class themselves as vegan because they dont eat meat and dairy. A vegan is someone whos lifestyle doesnt not included animal products of anykind in anyway shape or form.

Now the apologies part. This post wasnt intended to offend, guarentee some of the facts will be wrong (please feel free to correct me) and apologies for my dreadful typos, spelling and grammar.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Vegan diets are strange because it isnt just what you eat. It depebds on what degree you want to be ethical. (Im not vegan anymore but I was as a teenager, I dont know everything and this is just my opinion)

If you are doing it for ethical reasons then you really need to go the whole hog. (Not eat meat or dairy but then glugging down wine that has fish guts used in its brewing process may seem to some as hypocritical) like many have said veganism is a life choice. So many products these days have animal parts used in them that it may seem daughnting to someone who is new to the vegan world because there is alot to learn! I definitely believe veganism is a love and a passion and it needs to be as sourcing vegan products (not just food) can be more difficult for someone who is less educated on the vegan lifestyle.

If you are dedicated to becoming vegan IMO I would start with a wholefoods plant based diet while slowly phasing out meat and dairy products. While doing this I would research into vegan clothing, cosmetics, glues and other products that people wouldnt neccesarily assume as having animal parts in them, and slowly transition into using them. In my eyes the word vegan is banded around to often, some people who says they are vegan are just veggies who dont eat dairy. True vegans wear its as a badge of pride and it is a 100% commitment and I agree it should be.

*controversial bit* IMO I dont believe people should class themselves as vegan because they dont eat meat and dairy. A vegan is someone whos lifestyle doesnt not included animal products of anykind in anyway shape or form.

Now the apologies part. This post wasnt intended to offend, guarentee some of the facts will be wrong (please feel free to correct me) and apologies for my dreadful typos, spelling and grammar.

i really dislike labels, but i kind of agree. veganism isn't a diet (i don't use the word 'diet' as 'way to lose weight'. the word 'diet' means 'what you eat daily') but a lifestyle choice. most vegans are vegan because they don't ingest or use anything with animal products or by products - that includes meats, dairy, soups with chicken stock, refined sugar, and honey. they don't use shampoos or body lotions that have animal products like tallow, keratin, and even silk proteins. they don't wear leather or wool, and they don't use pills or vitamins with animal-based gelatin - and they don't eat jell-o or commercially produced marshmallows.

it seems that the label 'vegetarian' means 'one who does not eat any animal based product, including dairy'. lacto-ovo vegetarians eat no meat but eat milk products (lacto) and eggs (ovo). lacto vegetarians and ovo vegetarians exist as well. pescatarians only eat meat from sea creatures... flexitarians was a term coined in the 2000s to encompass people who eat mainly vegetarian, but occasionally eat meat.

like i said, i hate labels - which is why i probably will never call myself 'vegetarian' or 'vegan' or whatever. you'll find so much erroneous information on the web; everyone has a blog or whatever that shares THEIR opinion, not necessarily fact. i think it's about doing your own research and finding what's comfortable for you.
  • mikek333
    mikek333 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up alcohol and eating animal protein for lent. Even though I live in a house with omni's, so far it has been easy. One problem is that I thought it would be easier to stay under my MFP calorie goal, but it hasn't. Anyway, it feels great never being hung over or sluggish because I ate a greasy cheeseburger!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

I agree with the above. Being vegan is a lifestyle, not a diet.

Don't call yourself a vegan if you drink wine, eat Jello, use the non-vegan beauty products or wear animal skins. There are alternatives to everything now.

While I am not vegan I am annoyed by people who preach about how great being a vegan is while they wear their leather, drink wine, and use things like lotions that contain glycerine (labels do not tell you whether that glycerine was recieved from animal, synthetic or vegetable sources unless it is labelled as vegan). Vegan is a lifestyle, not a diet. If you don't follow the lifestyle don't classify yourself as a vegan, yet instead as a vegetarian or you follow a vegan diet but not lifestyle.
  • Judddilicious
    Options

I agree with the above. Being vegan is a lifestyle, not a diet.

Don't call yourself a vegan if you drink wine, eat Jello, use the non-vegan beauty products or wear animal skins. There are alternatives to everything now.

While I am not vegan I am annoyed by people who preach about how great being a vegan is while they wear their leather, drink wine, and use things like lotions that contain glycerine (labels do not tell you whether that glycerine was recieved from animal, synthetic or vegetable sources unless it is labelled as vegan). Vegan is a lifestyle, not a diet. If you don't follow the lifestyle don't classify yourself as a vegan, yet instead as a vegetarian or you follow a vegan diet but not lifestyle.

You said it better than I ever could! I have to remove meat proteins and dairy proteins over the next 6-8weeks due to an allergy i recently discovered. Now I guess its different because mine is intolerance based rather than ethically. But I would not say I was vegan by any inch of theimagination. I dislike people using labels when in fact they arent actually following the requirements of that label IYKWIM.
  • Judddilicious
    Options
    But years ago when I was vegan its was everything to me and I did it by the book. Thats like a veggie having a bacon sarnie as a one off ;)
  • tomatini
    tomatini Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I don't really want to get into the whole "how vegan is enough to be called vegan" discussion, but I do want to clarify one point: There are a number of vegan-friendly wines out there. Check out barnivore.com for more info.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I don't really want to get into the whole "how vegan is enough to be called vegan" discussion, but I do want to clarify one point: There are a number of vegan-friendly wines out there. Check out barnivore.com for more info.

There is also vegan jello and marshmallows
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    What is the didfference between vegan and vegetarian? If it is truly more of a "statement of ethical beliefs" to avoid all animal products, rather than just avoidance of eating meat, then vegans shouldn't get the flu vaccine (seeing as how chicken eggs are used in the production of the virus to make the vaccine.). I'm not sure I get it?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP for under a month and already lost 4lb :happy:

Anyway I am wondering about going vegan, partially because it may be more healthy and partially due to animal rights issues.
    Does anyone have any experience of a vegan diet? Love some advice.

animal rights, sure.
    more healthy, no.
    you are your own person. decide what you believe in.
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    We are not entirely vegan in our household, but we eat several vegan meals a week. (My partner is ovo-lacto vegetarian, and I'm a flexitarian.) We eat vegan meals mostly because we have found things that we LIKE that are already vegan -- stir-fries, Mediterranean dishes, Indian dishes, and the like -- rather than trying to "veganize" other recipes. We also have several vegan friends so we have learned to do vegan substitutions and make vegan dishes for when they come over or we attend potlucks or whatever.

My best advice is to start with a couple of dishes that are already vegan and work them into your cooking routine. We have a stir-fry dish that we make at least once a week that is totally vegan. The original recipe called for chicken, but we just subbed tofu and that was it. When you have one vegan dish that you like and are comfortable cooking, add another. Also try subbing soy or almond milk on your cereal, or making other small changes. We don't like most of the vegan cheese and such, so we just don't do those. Try them to see if they are acceptable to you.