210 to 170 and 13% body fat..

Options
ndj1979
ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
I told myself I would not do this, but what the hell. I guess my journey is a little different then most on MFP because by the time I joined MFP I had already been dieting/working on for about six years....but wanted to use this to take me to next level...

So the first pic of me in blue cut off is seven years ago about a month after having done six months of chemo and a month of radiation from having Hodgkin's lymphoma. Having cancer will make you realize that you need to make serious life style changes. So that is me seven years ago ..chunky out of shape kid ...Ughhhhhhhhh LOL

763f1bac-f276-4bed-b997-1cdbd5002218_zps1a695bb4.jpg

Sooo I started eating right and working out with weights three days a week and running about three miles on non weight days. I dropped down to about 180-185# and probably 18 to 20% body fat...see below...

100_0215_zps394fcfe2.jpg

Not bad, right? Then I really got serious, and actually joined a gym, and built a program around squats, deadlifting, weighted pull ups and chinups, overhead press, etc. Starting counting calories and keeping track of macros. Also starting doing IF (this was about five months ago).

And tada :) am now about 173# and 13% bodyfat.

2aa99b87-28df-4a0c-8d1d-b7b0d1bfb4fb_zpsfc09f975.jpg

My next goal is to get down to 10% body fat for beach season. Once I accomplish that I am going to put a slab of muscle on top of that!

Things that I have learned over the past seven years. Don't worry about six small meals a day, or meal timing or any of that. Eat when you are hungry and make sure that you get right amount of carbs/fats/protein.

If you want to lose weight eat in a deficit and work out. If you are going to work out build a program around deadlifts, bench press, squatting, overhead press, chinups/pull ups etc....Cardio is good when you are fist losing weight but once you get your body fat% down, I would almost ditch it entirely. I probably do about one HIIT session a week sometimes two but that is about it on cardio. For beginners a total body workout three days a week with cardio on off days should really work well for first six months.

Remember for any change that you make, it takes your body four to six weeks to adapt to it.

Final two points and I believe these are most important...It is a marathon not a sprint. It took a while for that out of shape fat kid in the first picture to get t o the last picture..so don't get discouraged. AND it is not a diet it is a lifestyle change. You want to change your lifestyle so that when you put in all that hard work to melt the fat off that you keep it off and can reach different goals from there....

Oh and at last DR check I am cancer free for eight years now!

Good Luck to all you of you out there....!

oh hopefully I posted the pictures right LOL

Replies

• FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    You are amazing.. congratulations for all of your very hard work and dedication! I'm sure you'll hit that 10% mark in no time :-)
  • brandon17013
    brandon17013 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Congrats on all ur successes! I have really gotten to enjoy connecting w/you here on MFP. I look forward to seeing how ur workout went, and how ur meals went for the day. I'm very excited to see you progress, and hit all your goals!
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Amazing success. Physically and mentally.

Good work!
  • karenragusa
    Options
    you look great...good advice
  • mackreid3
    mackreid3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow, man...great job!
  • ladypenel
    ladypenel Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Excellent, inspirational on many levels. Good luck :)
  • meglet175
    Options
    Well done! You look like the picture of health. How wonderful that you have committed to taking care of yourself at an early age - you can avoid so many health issues that would otherwise crop up in your 40s and 50s.
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Absolutely amazing!!! Congratulations on being cancer-free for eight years - I could not even begin to imagine how you are feeling right now.

And you look great :) awesome job!
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Incredible transformation and what an inspirational story and words of wisdom. Thanks for sharing. :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Huge congratulations for taking what must have been a terrible thing to go through, the chemo and radiation, and taking the action to improve yourself. Kudos to you and great progress.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You're looking fantastic! Well done!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    thanks all! It has been a long road and one that I am still traveling...
  • ShenanigansOHoolihan
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss, fitness accomplishments, and most importantly kicking cancer's *kitten* :smile:
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story, incredible .......congratulations ......!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Oh and at last DR check I am cancer free for eight years now!
    Out of everything, this was what caught my eye the most. Congrats.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story, incredible .......congratulations ......!!
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Look great!
  • Caged_Heat
    Caged_Heat Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Well done! You look like the picture of health. How wonderful that you have committed to taking care of yourself at an early age - you can avoid so many health issues that would otherwise crop up in your 40s and 50s.
    What she said!

Those were my "lost years" being overweight and feeling like a "shlub." I'm a work in progress now and feeling better (and more like a man) every day!

Thanks for sharing. Well written and inspiring!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Congrats on ALL your success, you look awesome!!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    What she said!

Those were my "lost years" being overweight and feeling like a "shlub." I'm a work in progress now and feeling better (and more like a man) every day!

Thanks for sharing. Well written and inspiring!

thanks Slim ...just remember it takes time man...Along my road there was a lot of trial and error until I found what works for me ..hell, I am still trying to find what works for me...but as long as you are progressing it is all good...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!