I am starting to get depressed. Is this site supposed to ma

Options
2»

Replies

• SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    You see...with so many positive comments and ideas you shouldn't be depressed anymore as you already have a lot of online friends behind you. Go for it! :flowerforyou:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Exercise... it will help. I have arthritis in both my knees because I was so overweight. Sometimes it is painful but exercise does help.

As I say to my kids....you can always find a reason why not to do something. Look for the reason why you should do it.

Your health!
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    I feel what you are saying. It's kind of like saying well I can't be beautiful until I'm a size 2. Does that sound ridiculous to you? :flowerforyou: To me, it does. I think it's important to take it slow. It's taken me at least half a year to get my whole eating habits changed and it's improving everyday. I would say just go for a walk. It's probably the easiest thing you can do and you can go as slow as you want for how long you want. Swimming is also good and easy. My advice is don't put yourself on a limit and restrict life until you reach a certain point. :flowerforyou: This community here helps me everyday especially on the days when I feel like doing nothing, I come here! We'll be behind you for sure and I hope you do everything you can possibly do to achieve your goals. :smile:
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I have allergies (and asthma along with), and it really affects how much exercise I can do as well. I think one mistake I have made is to get discouraged and stop doing *everything* during times that I felt I couldn't exercise (I'm not saying you are doing that, just e that I did!). (The reality is that when you aren't feeling well, it is tough to make good food choices, not to mention exercise!)

It sounds like you were doing some intense workouts before. I agree with the others that say you can start with something a little easier. How about walking? Even if that is just an afternoon stroll it is getting in the habit of moving a little.

Even if you can't exercise, try to stick to the eating healthy part of it! I just know (okay, have heard) that it is easier to lose the weight adding in a little exercise to the healthy eating.

(Also, allergies/asthma are linked with depression... I'm not sure what correlation, if any, there is with weight and asthma, but I do know that exercise helps with depression!)
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I have exercise induced asthma. Now that I am on the right combination of meds for me I can do everything again but swim in chlorinated water, which is what caused my asthma. Riding my bike, walking, I don't know about aerobics. Stop if your getting out of breath, make sure you take your meds correctly, start slow and keep it up. It is definitely possible and really good for you.
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    There are some great comments here. I agree with all who say please don't give up entirely on exercise.

I have had asthma since I was 8 years old (I'm 34). It was always exercise induced (esp. in cold weather) but now as an adult it's compounded by cat allergies (I have three cats in the house). Five years ago I began taking Advair and Singular and they changed my quality of life completely. It sounds like you're on a good asthma maintenance inhaler, too, which is key.

Here's one thing, though, that several people have sort of mentioned but not directly: The next time you exercise, whatever you do, begin with a nice, slow, 20-minute warmup, like slow walking (gradually increasing the pace every 5 minutes or so). My doctor told me that studies have shown that a slow warmup (where you increase your heart rate VERY slowly, rather than in one sudden burst) is AS EFFECTIVE as a dose of albuterol! (For you non-asthmatics, albuterol is the most common "rescue inhaler".) Incidentally, in case anyone looks it up I did just find evidence of an article that contradicts that, but the original info is from my doctor and I've noticed that the warm up helps me A LOT.
    For example, if I leave my house at a jog and run to the park,, by the time I get there I'm wheezing slightly. If I walk for the first five minutes and then run/walk after that, I'm not wheezing at all (plus my legs feel better).

I hope this helps!

Oh, and really--if you're suffering that much and nothing else helps, you really should see your doctor again. There are other drugs/therapies available.
  • babadee
    babadee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I also developed asthma late in life. As I lost weight the asthma actually got better. I don't have to use inhalers anymore but at times when doing a real hard workout I do sometimes get breathless. Just remember slow and steady wins the race. No one got fat overnight and no one gets skinny overnight.