Protein diet

Options
leasah
leasah Posts: 107 Member
Im wondering if anyone has tried a protein diet and successfully transitioned to a normal (healthy) eating plan? My husband went to his doctor a week ago and asked for help losing some weight. He needs to drop right around 25lbs according to the chart for his height/weight/age. His plan is basically eating 5-6 times a day, either pure protein (lean meat or eggs) or a protein shake or 1/2 a protein bar. This lasts for 4 days, after that he adds back in 1 cup of veggies. As best I can tell he remains at this level for one month. He is drinking tons of water and has eliminated caffeine. As far as supplements he is taking 1/2 an Adipex every morning for the first month.
I was pretty put off when he came home with the paperwork and I read through it, but I have to admit he is making prgress. I ask him all the time if he is hungry and he says no that eating so frequently keeps him full. He has lost 8lbs the first week
I suspect some of this is due to the calorie intake, I added it up and it is much lower than he would normally take in. The shakes and bars are only around 150 cals each and his meals are prettly low as well.
THanks,
Leasa

Replies

• l3uttel2flie
    Options
    Part of why he is not hunger is the frequent high protein meals; however, the Adipex is a prescription weight loss pill the works as an appetite suppressant. I can also have allot of nasty side effects that cause PERMANENT damage to his heart. It's basically the new PHEN-PHEN remember hearing about those patient's on the news? I would recommend he stick to diet changes and exercise and drop the Adipex. Especially is he's doing this for his health. It may take longer to achieve his results, but they will be easier to maintain. I am a health care professional and have worked for Dr's that do and do not write these medications. Over all most that really care about your overall health WILL NOT. Good luck! I hope he achieves his goal to a happier healthier lifestyle.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    I wish him the best of luck.Im no expert but I just cant understand why doctors do this 25lbs isn't alot to loose,healthy eating and a bit of exercise say half an hour every day and he would loose this in about 2 months,weight loss pills are ridiculous,sure it might take a bit of time the long way but it does work Im just not a fan of high protein diets or high anything for that matter,Balance is the key,enjoy good food cut back on trash, exercise, and enjoy your life!Best of luck
  • dkimbriel
    dkimbriel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The South Beach diet works pretty much the same way. The book is written by a doctor and explains the process pretty well. It is okay for a short period of time and the book leads you to a healthy lifetime diet. But remember, the first 5 pounds for most people is water weight and comes back later.

Debbie Kimbriel
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I think they can be successful if the transition is gradual. I know a lot of people who have stayed on high protein diets and transitioned successfully. The initial fat loss phase is usually short but the ongoing weight loss and maintenance phases can take years.

His diet sounds very similar to Dr. Dukan's diet in France.