How many calories in horse meat?

Options
Just had burgers for dinner. Anyone know how many calories are in horse meat? Not sure whether they're in the MFP database yet.

On a more serious note tho, if we don't even know what is in food, just how accurate is the calorific info on the packaging?

Replies

• oneofakind0
    Options
    Google it
  • fitchick1971
    Options
    lol... good question. My thoughts exactly!
  • hungergames324
    hungergames324 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It's in the database
  • calisunrise
    Options
    i see what you did there.

am i the only one here who got the joke?
  • RoosterB
    RoosterB Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hey Hunger Games you're right Haha. Now I just need to figure out the proportions.
    Based on tonight's news, it could be almost 100% horse.
  • Eliz_99
    Eliz_99 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I think it's just best not to eat processed meat so you know for sure what you're eating.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

No.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I'd eat horse if it were available.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    5 to 4 odds on that you are are fillying yourself up on horse meat. Neigh! I am just joking.
  • pamuyamakene
    pamuyamakene Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    hahaha!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    On a more serious note tho, if we don't even know what is in food, just how accurate is the calorific info on the packaging?

What exactly don't you know about what is in your food that as nutritional labels?

You buy a pre-made sandwich, if the restaurant that prepared it bothered to put a nutritional label on it, it's going to be a guess at best, because it will depend a lot on who squirted the mayo, etc. If you buy a package of oreos, the ingredients are listed so you know whats in there, and the calories are probably accurate within ~10%ish....we'll never, ever get perfectly accurate measurements.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    LOL Once YEARS ago in my mom WW book there was Squirrel Meat......
  • Eliz_99
    Eliz_99 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Morebean I'm not sure how accurate the nutritional info for a burger would be if it is based on beef but actually the meat is horse. That's what this post is about I assume?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    It's in the database..or you can just google it and look up the nutritional value if you don't trust the database entries
  • 1jobean
    Options
    Hey my mom fed us squirrel meat, rabbitt meat, heck I bet there was even a opposum in there somewhere. Thats why when I got older and moved out I gained weight, finally good food.
  • CausticS0da
    Options
    +1

I guess since the change in legislation they only INVESTIGATE the veracity of nutritional/calorific content AFTER they have EVIDENCE that it is inaccurate.

A low calorie e-cookie for those that spot the problem with enforcement there...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in the north of France, horse meat can easily be found at the butcher's or the local market. Not really a fan, but it isn't uncommon here. Mostly from Irish stock from what I hear.
  • CausticS0da
    Options
    Horse meat can be easily found in the UK too. Except it's labelled 'Beef'. Some of it might be donkey though...

I think this thread is proof that a fair proportion of people in the US have no idea what's going on outside amurika.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Not sure on the calories, but I understand that its high in protein - so a win surely?
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

Definitely not

OP Surely horse and beef aren't that far off, but if you're buying cheap, pre packaged ready meals watch the sodium :wink: :laugh: