Running

Options
I want to "just do it", but how does a non-runner start running without killing themself?

I have visions of dying in my driveway! ;)

Replies

• coxg6
    coxg6 Posts: 9
    Options
    Work up to it - don't go straight for the marathon. Start with walking, faster. Then brisk walk. Then intervals, so couple minutes walking then couple min running. I've just started too - but this seemed to help me. Set yourself a goal before each time & try to beat it next time!!
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5 k abbreviated c25k is what most people use.

I just walked one mile for a week then started walking 1/2 mile run 1/8 then walk the rest of the way home. I started adding a1/8 of a mile each time till I could run a mile. Just pick a pace you can stay at.

Most important, have fun.
  • beasilvac
    beasilvac Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    First start walking, otherwise u would probably end up injuring urself like I did. Hurt my knee and had to stop 4 2 months. Fisrts walk at least 2 kms to make sure ur muscles r warm and then run just fror 1 km, that should be less than 10 min. Do that 4 at least 3 weeks and then u star adding kms
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    This week, run from the bottom of your driveway to the next door neighbor's driveway (assuming it's like 100 feet or so). Then walk four or five driveways. Repeat.

Next week, run two driveways, then walk 4 or 5.

Each week, add a driveway to the run, but walk the same amount.

In one year, adding only the distance from one driveway to the next each week, you'd be running about a mile.

You will almost certainly be able to add distance faster than that after just a few weeks.

It took me 6 months to be able to run 5k without stopping, but now running isn't even difficult.

Go slow, add distance a little at a time.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Second the recommendation for C25k (couch to 5k). There's apps but you don't need them, you can also just look up the schedule online and use a timer if you want to go low tech. Worked for me. I wasn't running 5k at the end of it (I ran for time, not distance) but was running about 2 miles nonstop after 3 months which was more than I'd ever run in my life.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    i was a terrible runner. i started doing 2 min jog/1min fast walk intervals, and eventually increased speed and increased the jog time of the intervals. if i can work my way up to do half marathons without stopping- anyone can!

its a mental game, really. if u think "i have to run 3 miles" it sounds like forever. yet "i have to run for 2 min before i can walk" doesnt seem bad at all...and the 1 min walk is a good way to catch your breath.

give it a shot...u can do it :)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Run slower than you even feel like is possible, keep going until you can't anymore. Walk until you've recovered. Run slowly again. Repeat until you're a runner.

Seriously, that's all it takes. It's the foundation for all beginner's running programs like C25K. The slow part is of absolutely critical importance.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K.

This.
  • fredf2112
    fredf2112 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm going to also recommend Couch to 5k (C25k) program. But before you start that, begin by walking if you haven't already. I would walk for a month or two before beginning a running regimen. That's what worked for me.
  • beanerific518
    Options
    In addition to C25K, I recommend working on your form to start with so you don't injure yourself. Many people heel strike because of the supportive shoes we are used to wearing. I was one of those people until I started getting a lot of hip pain. Here are a few videos that help explain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrOgDCZ4GUo

http://www.goodformrunning.com/learn-good-form-videos/166-forefoot-versus-midfoot-versus-heel-strike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkUqkdPQHis
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Another vote for c25k! It made a runner out of me - I started it about a year ago, and in 9 weeks, I was running for 30 minutes non-stop, and could cover the 5k distance. Worked like a charm!

I used the c25kFREE app by Zen Labs on my iPhone.
  • akrnrunner
    akrnrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k orI used the iphone 5k Runner which is the same thing!
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Ever look up the couch to 5 k program?

I can't run, but that's what I'm doing. I'm just doing the week 1 over and over until I get it down, then move up.
    It's /totally/ your pace. If you can't run for a minute, then don't. But aim for it.
    You get better the more you try, then once you complete it, you can move on :D
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    And, proper form is gold.

correct-running-form-2.jpg

Without proper form, you'll make yourself REALLY sore
  • amann_84
    amann_84 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Start slow and work your way up. Run in short intervals at first. I was 400 pounds and could barely walk a mile and with in my first year or two of running I completed my first half marathon. So if I can do it anyone can! Also a good pair of running shoes really help as well!
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have good running shoes, not necessarily expensive, Start out walking then once you have gone a little, start by slowly jogging, nothing too fast. Then when you get tired go back to walking. Keep repeating this as long as you can. Do this for several days and you will begin to see you are jogging more than you are walking. Once you hit that point, you are on your way. Don't overdo it though. The secret is to feel better after each walk run

Basil
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    C25K app called rundouble is a great app. You can listen to your music and it fades out at the right parts to say to run or walk. Only around £2. Definitely advise it.

Get good shoes, break in slowly (important so you don't injured your shins. Easily done going from never running to lots. Did this last year! No fun)

Get some headphones and a band to out your phone on with the music!

Take a good sized water bottle. I normally loop my key over my HRM strap.

Look up form. It is important.

Although it's not half as much fun, it's good to start in a tread mill. The 'ground', is much softer and better for your shins for starting on.

If your struggling to breathe... Just go slower. Can build up speed later. Don't need to be running full pelt straight away. Start of jogging and build up. Once I slowed down I went for longer periods.

If you struggle with a week or C25K don't sweat it, just repeat the week u til your comfortable with it, then move on. You have all the time in the world!

It gets much easier. Don't be discouraged!

Zara x
  • BrainOnAStick
    BrainOnAStick Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K.

Also, I invested in some good running shoes and this made a *world* of difference. I was running in heavy overpriced shoes that fit me poorly, but I mistakenly went into a one-brand only store (New Balance) and ended up with the best that had for my skinny feet--which was no good at all. That's not to slam New Balance. Their shoes may work for you, but don't limit yourself in terms of options. I went to a running store for my next pair and ditched my heavy shoes for Saucony Grid Fastwitch 4. I can't imagine ever going back!

Good luck!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Pfft! Don't http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Fixx
    Lift weights instead, apparently :wink: