daily walking-think at work, fitbit tracked, etc

Options
How do you log fitbit tracked walking into MFP? I have a FItbit ONE (replaces my Ultra) and I just started a new job that has a HUGE environmental/health/safety program, and is big in ergo and health. This last week is the first time in years ive logged 25-30 minutes of walking at a single go over lunch because I didnt' feel tied to my desk (im in IT/programming support).

I can log the walking session over lunch, but what about all the other steps? (80-90 every bathroom break 1 way, pacing while talking on my headset to clients, going to other departments, etc)

2.0 mph mosey walking over an estimate of how long I was actually walking (over 9 hours) or is there better way to do that?

Thanks!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't log that. It's likely not enough over your BMR to really make a difference, and you could end up cheating yourself, especially if you eat back your exercise calories.
  • patriciakoppa
    Options
    I would not log, but consider it part of your daily activity level. Sounds like you have what is classified as a sedentary desk job, but take it to the next level. Don't know how long you have been using Myfitnesspal, but if you are having trouble keeping to the goal calories, it may just be that you are more active than you thought. If the change to this new job justifies it, that is the adjustment I would make rather than logging the steps
  • Alathea_Squared
    Alathea_Squared Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ive lurked for awhile. My fitbit tries to interpret steps into calories used, thats why I asked-if I should just leave it alone and only log the actual walk I do, that's what Ill do. The facility I work in is a bit widespread, so walking to the bathroom is almost 200 steps, and there is lots of open space around the cubicles that I use to take 'the long way' back to where I am in the hive.

Thanks! This last week Ive been under every day, and Ive walked every day for 20-30 minutes at 1 time during lunch. A solid week. I haven't walked today, but Im still way under for calories for the day since ive been running errands and not eating very much. Unfortunately for me my allowance is rather high, being male, and 333 lbs.
  • jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    If your Fitbit and MFP are linked then if anything needs doing it'll be automatic. If fitbit detects activity above the basic level of daily activity estimated them you'll get an adjustment into your exercise on mfp -http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/360-how-exactly-is-my-fitbit-calorie-adjustment-calculated