20 lbs in 3 months

NewMe80xoxo
NewMe80xoxo Posts: 172
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
So my little sister (11 y/o) had a DR. appt. today. She got blood work done and she is almost a diabetic. It runs HEAVY in the family. I'm sacred for you and ME. My dad (aint her dad) was diagonsed about 2 years ago that he was a diabetic after he had a stroke. Anyways I don't think she can do it. I would love to see her do it. Everyone around her has made a bet with her even the DR. if she can lose 20 lbs in 3 months the Dr. plus 6 other people will give her 20 dollars a piece thats 140 dollars.

anyways I wanna try and see if I can lose 20 lbs with her. Or before her. whatever happens

I need tips/recipes/any ideas that I can help with her to do this. Thanks!

Replies

• I think it is great that you are doing it with her, but I wouldn't discourage her and say you don't think she can, instead help her and support her!! You both can do it ..and you will be a awesome sister for helping her get healthy ..and you will be too .. it's a win/win situation!!
  • jenniferscheller
    jenniferscheller Posts: 48 Member
    :bigsmile: That's what I call being a great big sister! You are also setting a wonderful example for her. You go girl.:bigsmile:
  • mmrose00
    mmrose00 Posts: 253 Member
    Sorry to hear about your sister, and such a young age gosh!! I believe anything is possible, and I am sure she could lose weight within the next 3 months even the 20lbs recommend by your Dr., but SHE has to want it!! It's not enough for family to want her to lose it. I agree with the previous comment about encouraging her. Perhaps as a family you guys can incorporate "family exercising" or bike riding or swimming or just a walk in the park after dinner...something fun that an 11 yr old would want to do!

IMO I believe it's all about lifestyle change. At 11, if she doesn't learn the tools to make better decisions when it comes to food, she could end up being like quite a few of us on MFP, that should have learned these tools a long time ago.

As for recipes perhaps you can think of creating low cal alternatives to the food that she currently likes, so if she likes pizza for example, instead of eliminating it completely maybe you can create your healthy alternative at home. At least then it teaches her that you don't have to "diet" and get rid of the things you love, just create your own and make adjustments. Because at this rate, the situation is bigger then the 20lbs, it's about her life long health, and as I mentioned the earlier she learns how to make better choices the better it will be for her.

Much Success to you and your sister!!
  • Sweatin
    Sweatin Posts: 18 Member
    Sorry to hear about your sister. Good for you for being there to suppoprt her. I think we all know that weight is a touchy subject and can be a emotional journey, and at that age at can be even tougher. Keep up the support, I agree that this needs to be a lifestyle change for her and everyone else in your family. 20 lbs in 3 months is a lot, not thats its impossible to do, but at that young of an age my be harder. Keep up the encouragement, if there isnt the 20lb wieght lose in the 3 months, she should be encouraged and rewarded for the positive changes she has made in that time to help support that lifestyle change to continue into the future. Good luck to the both of you. I have lost 20 lbs since Feb, and let me tell you, its been alot of hard work, more mentally then physically, encouragement, support and love from family and friends and believing in myself has been great, remember that for her and yourself and you will both do great. Reward yourselfs along the way, pedicures, manicures, smaller clothes, take pictures of yourself, hold family events such as doing mini marathons with each other in your neighborhoods get friends involved-make ribbons, small things can add up to big rewards and a healthier life style. I love the pizza, I started doing this for my 9 year old step daughter, I buy the 9inch wheat pizza crust and we have fun making our own "healthy" versions, its great time together and you dont have to give up your favorites, we have taco nights and make our own salad bar. The best part then I have left overs for lunch and Im not tempted to eat fast food because I dont want the healthy stuff to go to waste. Good Luck.
  • shaggys
    shaggys Posts: 140 Member
    I sincerely hope she makes it!
    She is lucky that she has someone to help her:flowerforyou:
    I used to give my son $1.00 every mile he would run with me,and he would get paid at the end of four weeks,and we kept track on the calendar,25-30 bucks well spent!.Kids love money.
    Kids' races are usually free,they get a tshirt and bagels,gatorades,the same as all the runners...try finding local 5ks that have them and there is usually one somewhere close by,depending on where you live.
    Good luck!!
  • emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    The weight loss can be done, but to better her blood sugar levels start by finding fun exercise to do. Dont tell her its exercise just ask her to lets hang out, go swimming, bike riding, climbing, long fast walks, dont forget the water bottle. Eat 3 balanced meals, including your veggies, veggie pizza's are great on a preheated tortilla 350 degrees 5 minutes, load it up with a sauce and veggies and bake another 10 minutes. Make sure your getting 100-200 calorie snacks, thats were she can fit in a cliff or luna bar, lots of chocolate choices. Enter in diabetes recipes, tons will show up. good luck to you both. PS I am already a diabetic so she doesnt want to go there, try to get it under control now.
  • MzMolly
    MzMolly Posts: 169 Member
    Hello,
    That is so wonderful that you are supporting your sister like this. Now is the time to change bad habits and teach her healthy ones. Good luck.
    As far as recipes go, I STRONGLY recomend the magazing COOKING LIGHT. It is AMAZING!! with each recipe it give you all the nutrition information, calorie count, carbs, fat ect. All the recipes are wonderful, in fact I feel like I am eating far better now then before I started this. (not just healthy but YUMMY!!) You can find the magazing in book stores or obviously on line.
  • shredder
    shredder Posts: 404
    I have no advise to offer only words of support and admiration.
    Your sister is very very lucky to have you in her life.
    I wish you both huge success on you journey.
    Keep us posted on your results.
    :heart: S
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Money never modivates me to loose. :(
  • 4me2sibiai
    4me2sibiai Posts: 71
    Can you get her onto this MFP community? This site has people of ALL ages and they are so WONDERFUL and SO SUPPORTIVE. If she can SEE the comments, frustrations, support, it will help her realize she isn't alone, I'm sure with you by her side taking walks, watching your eating and drinking choices and focusing on the achievements, your encouragement as a big sister will make a huge difference. Remember to always encourage because I'm sure she has enough inner criticism within her own mind or she would not be struggling with the weight issue. I would be honored to "friend" her on here. 20 lbs, on someone young, should melt away within that timeframe but PLEASE use encouraging words and come from the attitude that she most definitely WILL achieve the goal. No bribes. No money. The biggest gift is her health.
This discussion has been closed.