Porridge perseveranc..

Options
2»

Replies

• goddessofsewing
    goddessofsewing Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm liking breakfast quinoa right now. You just have to adjust what gets mixed in to fit within calorie goals. It looks like the oatmeal I'm used to, but the texture is different. http://www.marthastewart.com/314453/breakfast-quinoa
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    THExNEKOxCHAN Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, don't eat it. I prefer eggs for breakfast myself. They at least satisfy my hunger and last through the morning until lunch, which cereal/porridge never does for me.
  • cazzer69
    cazzer69 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Are you talking Porridge or Oatmeal?

There is a big difference between the two, they're not interchangeable terms.

What is the difference?

I just thought one was a US terminology one was more commonly used in the UK but completely interchangeable.

That's what I thought too!

Oatmeal is more usually milled to a finer consistancy.
    Porridge oats are usually cut and a much more coarse.
    Hence why "Oatmeal" can be slimy, because its much finer that say UK Porridge oats.
  • milk_bottle
    milk_bottle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge porridge fan! But I use Scotts porridge oats not quaker as I find quaker's to be a bit too goopy. I've never tried steel cut oats but I hear they're a lot less goopy so maybe try a different style oat or a different brand.

Also maybe you're adding too much water? If they're drier they are more like sticky quinoa. I don't like breakfast quinoa but that's another superfood breakfast everyone bangs on about
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Life is too short to start the day with a food you hate...
    I can't stand cooked oatmeal (which I think is what porridge is or at least similar??). But I do sprinkle 2-4 tablespoons of uncooked oatmeal on my yogurt & fruit, with a tablesppon of toasted slivered almonds and a generous sprinkle of cinnamon. It is more like granola topping then, and I enjoy it.
  • gymbunny27
    Options
    Thanks everyone, think im going to have to accept i'm just not a porridge eater! Never tried oatmeal but if it's finer than porridge it's a definate no no!

I do love eggs though and protein shakes so these are the way forward....
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Porridge tastes like punishment and sadness. If you don't like it, don't eat it. There are just as good breakfasts out there!

Personally, 5 mornings a week I have homemade baked beans on toast. Carbs, protein, veg... and yumminess!
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Are you talking Porridge or Oatmeal?

There is a big difference between the two, they're not interchangeable terms.

What is the difference?

I just thought one was a US terminology one was more commonly used in the UK but completely interchangeable.

That's what I thought too!

Oatmeal is more usually milled to a finer consistancy.
    Porridge oats are usually cut and a much more coarse.
    Hence why "Oatmeal" can be slimy, because its much finer that say UK Porridge oats.

Hmm I think we may have to agree to disagree on this one.

I'm from the UK and our supermarkets sell both finely milled and chunky oats and they are both referred to as porridge oats regardless.
  • jeanywren
    jeanywren Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't like oatmeal much although I will eat it, but find it gluey. I prefer something like the Montana 7 grain. It is flakes but not oats and has more of a chewy texture. Mixed with fruit it is quite nice even to someone not a breakfast cereal type fan.
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Don't eat it. Eat something with higher protein and more useful and valuable carbs instead. Like a smoothie with added protein or eggs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Please help me, i HATE porridge. It seems to be the best way for anyone to start their day and i just cannot eat it! I've tried every way i could think of, with fruit, with sweetner.... i've tried it thick and runny... I just cannot stand the consistancy. Does anyone have any ideas to help me eat this magical fuel!? :sad:

I go for 10g of chocolate drops for taste & and either chopped nuts or pumpkin & sunflower seeds for texture.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I just feel like i have to eat it because every fitness interview or article i read online always goes on about the benefit of porridge! I'm stuck in a breakfast rut at the moment. Greek yogurt with a sprinkle of granola. I need something else quick.....
    [/quote

Try quinoa.....or cooked rice....