Protein powder advice?

I just got some soy protein powder (chocolate) and it says to drink 20-30 minutes after a workout. I normally workout in the morning so should I drink this for breakfast, or should I eat my oatmeal and banana for breakfast and have the powder drink for a snack around 3pm?

Replies

• devo182
    devo182 Posts: 38 Member
    Would take it later, it's not very filling imo. I usually measure it out for 100 calories, a nice little "snack".
  • MrDonivan
    MrDonivan Posts: 19 Member
    For directly after a workout within 1 hour, you might want to look up "P90x Results And Recovery Formula". I am not a BeachBody Coach, jsut a user of the product, It is much better "thirst quenching" after a workout than the regular protein powders and is a ORANGE flavor. It also has the right ratio of carbs/protein that your body needs to recover and build muscle the fastest.

Really good stuff! I use it everyday and I am in Afghanistan.
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    I like the protien right after my morning workout. (About 7am) Then I eat my breakfast about 9am. I don't think it's intended to replace a meal.
  • Rado_SVK
    Rado_SVK Posts: 442 Member
    The reason why it states those specific times to consume is because generally is well known that its "optimal" to have your shake within that 20 - 30 minutes from finishing your workout..that doesnt mean 10 minutes up or down will take all the benefits..also,you can have your shake in the morning as a first meal if you feel so,just make sure its minimum 1-2 hours before workout,generally eat whatever you like for your breakfast,just leave that 1-2 hours so your body has enough time to digest the meal and have the energy ready for the workout..If you dont have such an amount of time between wake and morning workout,its wiser to workout on empty stomach( I mean I wouldnt do weight training without having some nutritions prior to it,however its ok to do cardio/fat burning exercises first thing in the morning)..so just as conclusion,dont eat later than 1-2 hours before any workout for optimal performance and its def not wise not to have a protein and carb combo meal those 20-30 minutes after workout..just make sure that you adjust your nutrition to your goals needs..hope this helped :)
  • JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    I just got some soy protein powder (chocolate) and it says to drink 20-30 minutes after a workout. I normally workout in the morning so should I drink this for breakfast, or should I eat my oatmeal and banana for breakfast and have the powder drink for a snack around 3pm?
    After workouts your muscles are in a state of optimum absorption, meaning, they'r torn up and by ingesting sufficient protein and other nutrients your body can more efficiently repair and build. It will also help your body burn more fat instead of burning muscle. Oatmeal and bananas would be a great pre-workout meal though. In the end everyones different, some like to work on empty stomachs others don't. Personally I have more energy and push when I have a little complex carbs/protein in me. Just drink plenty of water thru the day. Good luck!