WOMEN: weight loss/gain during menstrual cycle, HELP

Options
2»

Replies

• Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Does everyone instantly put on weight at certain times in their menstrual cycle? I put on 1-2kg the day after my period starts every month and mostly the day after finishing I am back down 1-2kg, does this happen for other women??? Does anyone know the reason for this? Is there any way this can be avoided?

It's so frustrating, because I feel like I am doing so well then BANG, 2kg back on, and at the worst time too, when I am feeling low on energy, my self esteem is poor and I am super emotional.

For me, it is times like these I fall off the wagon, because even though in the back of my mind I know the weight gain is just because it's that time of month, there is this stronger part of me that say's "your a failure, your fat, your terrible" etc and, so I eat!!

Some day's I hate being a woman!!

The "why" is because your body is preparing to be pregnant and sustain a growing baby. So, there is a build up of the lining in your uterus for up to 14 days (on average) before your period. Once your brain gets the signal that you're not pg, it tells the hormones to tell your uterus to shed the built up lining, along with extra blood and fluids which roughly equals a couple pounds.

The human body really is amazing, especially the fact that a woman can conceive, carry and deliver and brand new life! :flowerforyou:
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    WATER WEIGHT. It happens to all of us.. it goes away.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    It used to happen to me, but not so much anymore after exercising consistently for over a year. It used to be anywhere from 3-5lbs, now it's 0-2lbs.
    Also, TOM is when I am most tired and need to ensure I get plenty of sleep, but it's also when I get my best workouts in. So go figure. I read that it has something to do with all the hormones during that time.

Me too. I run faster but I have to spend more time talking myself into running in the first place.

Once I do,I feel better less crampy and cranky.
  • speedgraphic19
    Options
    It's just water weight. Up to ten pounds is pretty normal, and it all drops off right after.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Yep. I just avoid the scale during that time.

QFT.

Don't bother avoiding the gain, just avoid the scale.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Things you can't help or shouldn't avoid that affect the scale:

Female monthly fluctuations.

Weight gained due to starting or increasing a workout routine (your body may hold on to several pounds for as long as several weeks in order to make muscle repairs).

Don't freak out. Use a tape measure and how your clothes fit as well as the scale. But of course keep in mind that the monthly fluctuation can screw up those methods, too.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options

For me, it is times like these I fall off the wagon, because even though in the back of my mind I know the weight gain is just because it's that time of month, there is this stronger part of me that say's "your a failure, your fat, your terrible" etc and, so I eat!!

Choose to stop believing what isn't true. If you want to have a treat because you're having cravings then it's really OK, but acting on lies and emotions isn't helping you. Instead of telling yourself, "You're a failure", tell yourself, "It's water weight and it will go away."
    Or better yet, don't weigh in at all around that time.
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    If it bothers you that much, then don't weigh in,

Think about it ...
    1. Your body is building up your uterus with all the things necessary to support a baby. Now I don't know about your flow, and I don't want to know about it, but think of all the fluids that you lose during your TOM? That stuff certainly has some weight AND volume!

2. You feel like crap so you're probably indulging in comfort foods (I imagine that a lot of women do this, I know I do!). Sodium, sugar, all that awesomely awful stuff!

3. You feel like crap so you're probably not keen on getting in a good workout (at the beginning of my TOM I *cannot* exercise, but after the first day I've found that exercise helps with cramping and feeling icky).
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Please see your doctor. This is not normal.
  • Artemis00diana
    Options
    Thank you! Have been dealing with this question too, so its really nice to hear from others aswell ^^